Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
he doesnt do anything to nate diaz for the strikeforce brawl,in which he attacks miller with a hundreds of sucker punches, but cuts daley for one punch on koscheck. Dana you truly are a piece of work

·
Banned
439 Posts
he doesnt do anything to nate diaz for the strikeforce brawl,in which he attacks miller with a hundreds of sucker punches, but cuts daley for one punch on koscheck. Dana you truly are a piece of work
which is a non ufc sanctioned event

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
If Nate did anything of the sort in the UFC he'd be cut just like Daley.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Daley was too much of a shit talker much like many of the uk bred fighters (personally I always feel the uk fighters have a chip on their shoulder and always have something to prove). Did he deserve to get dropped probably not but lately there has been this transformation to make mma seem like it's an honorable game of polo. Come on fighting is fighting and if you don't like shit talking, blood, or people getting seriously injured than don't watch.

And Kimbo like I always said was nothing more than a gimmick that is just an insult to real fighters. Does the guy have heart and willingness to learn yes, does he deserve to be on ppv or stand a chance against skilled pro's not even close.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Daley was too much of a shit talker much like many of the uk bred fighters (personally I always feel the uk fighters have a chip on their shoulder and always have something to prove). Did he deserve to get dropped probably not but lately there has been this transformation to make mma seem like it's an honorable game of polo. Come on fighting is fighting and if you don't like shit talking, blood, or people getting seriously injured than don't watch.

And Kimbo like I always said was nothing more than a gimmick that is just an insult to real fighters. Does the guy have heart and willingness to learn yes, does he deserve to be on ppv or stand a chance against skilled pro's not even close.
On your first point, I don't really see what a dislike of trash talk has to do with a fighter attacking his opponent after the fight. Trash talk is part of the fight game, who's complaining about that? Some fighters are more traditional to their martial art or just generally respectful, and others are arrogant and like to talk smack. That's all well and good but that has no bearing on what Daley did. He's a sore loser and a thug.

Your second point I agree with, well put.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Love Dana's comments on Kimbo. DW and the UFC are promoting the sport of MMA, not putting on freak show fights to try and make money. Good on them. If you want freak shows go watch Strikeforce.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Love Dana's comments on Kimbo. DW and the UFC are promoting the sport of MMA, not putting on freak show fights to try and make money. Good on them. If you want freak shows go watch Strikeforce.
Kimbo was beat easily by big country. Then Dana criticises Nelson for his performance even though he won and starts shining Kimbo's shoes saying he was impressive. If getting put in a crucifix and having big country count the punches he was landing on his head impressive then yeah, really impressive.

Then the UFC went freak show for two fights and promoted Kimbo alongisde the MMA elite. Shogun vs Machida 2 was as much about Kimbo Slice than anything else, and that is a complete joke. The only reason Dana White is saying this now is because Kimbo lost to a nobody and looked garbage, and his stock has dropped significantly.

Basically Kimbo got chewed up and spat out by the UFC. It stopped Strikeforce getting ratings off him, it helped TUF but ultimately, it was a freak show that made Dana look like a hypocrite and a sell out. It was not about sport, not about who deserves it, it was about ratings and PPV sales in the knowledge a quick buck could made off Kimbo.

Good riddance, this is a sport ffs.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
They promoted Kimbo for two fights after being beat easily by big country. Then Dana criticises Nelson for his performance even though he won and starts shining Kimbo's shoes saying he was impressive. If getting put in a crucifix and having big country count the punches he was landing on his head impressive then yeah, really impressive.

The UFC went freak show for two fights and promoted Kimbo alongisde the MMA elite. Shogun vs Machida 2 was as much about Kimbo Slice than anything else, and that is a complete joke. The only reason Dana White is saying this now is because Kimbo lost to a nobody and looked garbage, and his stock has dropped significantly.

Basically Kimbo got chewed up and spat out by the UFC. It stopped Strikeforce getting ratings off him, it helped TUF but ultimately, it was a freak show that made Dana look like a hypocrite and a sell out.

Good riddance, this is a sport ffs.
The UFC was giving Kimbo 1 shot at staying in the UFC just like they do for almost every decent TUF fighter. They didn't give him anything special for rights other then a slightly and only slightly larger pay check because of his experience and little bit of a fan base.

Kimbo showed to the UFC and world that he did in fact want to learn and become a UFC fighter while on TUF and then going to a legit camp and earned his shot at the UFC. They put him in with a borderline knockout fighter for his first fight and he won, that is the only reason he got a 2nd fight.

Did Marcus Jones deserve another shot at the UFC? Jon Madsen? Justin Wren? Darrill Schoonover? James McSweeney? Matt Mitrione? They all lost on the TUF season but got shots to stay in the UFC and Kimbo definitely wasn't the worst of that bunch.

The UFC wasn't just using Kimbo for ratings because in reality the guy isn't that big of a draw. Sure he can bring in a few guys for free shows on Spike or CBS but I bet you he had next to no influence on the PPV's sold for this event.

I think DW and the UFC handled this Kimbo situation very well. They treated him as just another fighter. It isn't like they made him a main event or even co-main event fighter.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
The UFC was giving Kimbo 1 shot at staying in the UFC just like they do for almost every decent TUF fighter. They didn't give him anything special for rights other then a slightly and only slightly larger pay check because of his experience and little bit of a fan base.

Kimbo showed to the UFC and world that he did in fact want to learn and become a UFC fighter while on TUF and then going to a legit camp and earned his shot at the UFC. They put him in with a borderline knockout fighter for his first fight and he won, that is the only reason he got a 2nd fight.

Did Marcus Jones deserve another shot at the UFC? Jon Madsen? Justin Wren? Darrill Schoonover? James McSweeney? Matt Mitrione? They all lost on the TUF season but got shots to stay in the UFC and Kimbo definitely wasn't the worst of that bunch.

The UFC wasn't just using Kimbo for ratings because in reality the guy isn't that big of a draw. Sure he can bring in a few guys for free shows on Spike or CBS but I bet you he had next to no influence on the PPV's sold for this event.

I think DW and the UFC handled this Kimbo situation very well. They treated him as just another fighter. It isn't like they made him a main event or even co-main event fighter.
James McSweeney vs Titties wasn't promoted on a PPV.

Kimbo being on a PPV after beating a can like Alexander shows it was all about ratings and pretty much voids everything you said. If they kept Kimbo on the undercard where he belongs then you would be making some good points.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts

Kimbo being on a PPV after beating a can like Alexander shows it was all about ratings and pretty much voids everything you said. If they kept Kimbo on the undercard where he belongs then you would be making some good points.
Oh come on, there have been many other less deserving fighters on main cards... Why is it ok that Mitrione was allowed to be on the main event but not Kimbo? Kimbo has a ton more experience and at least some fans and has beaten far more credible fighters...

And if by promoted you mean a little blurb at end of commercials saying and Kimbo Slice then yeah... This was nothing like Kimbo's days in elite xc. And if those days had never of happened and Kimbo had went straight to TUF then no one would have had a problem with him. People only dislike him because a crappy organization hyped him as the best fighter in the world. That isn't Kimbo's fault, the guy is just trying to make a living...

It makes absolutely no sense for the UFC to put Kimbo on under cards. I figured they would leave him for fight nights and things like that but have no problems with him being a depth fight on a PPV.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Oh come on, there have been many other less deserving fighters on main cards... Why is it ok that Mitrione was allowed to be on the main event but not Kimbo? Kimbo has a ton more experience and at least some fans and has beaten far more credible fighters...

And if by promoted you mean a little blurb at end of commercials saying and Kimbo Slice then yeah... This was nothing like Kimbo's days in elite xc. And if those days had never of happened and Kimbo had went straight to TUF then no one would have had a problem with him. People only dislike him because a crappy organization hyped him as the best fighter in the world. That isn't Kimbo's fault, the guy is just trying to make a living...

It makes absolutely no sense for the UFC to put Kimbo on under cards. I figured they would leave him for fight nights and things like that but have no problems with him being a depth fight on a PPV.
+rep

I thought UFC would give Kimbo at least 1 more fight. At least Dana could talk to Kimbo and tell him he doesnt have a future in the HW division, and to possibly cut down to LHW and be a solid gatekeeper for the UFC like Jardine is.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Houston beat Jardine in his first UFC fight

·
Registered
742 Posts
He's only calling out Silva to grab attention alot of guys do it, not to mention every fighter is chasing the belt so that's what their focus is, he's still at least 2 if not 3 wins away from a title shot imo. Even then I don't think he would have much more than a puncher's chance against Anderson. Belcher's a tough guy who looks better with every fight, I hope they give him a top guy in his next fight.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts