Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AN FRANCISCO — The UFC held its pre-fight press conference Thursday in the buildup to this weekend’s middleweight title fight between Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen.

In addition to many of the fighters competing on the card, UFC President Dana White was in attendance to run the show.

Following a press conference, White is known for sitting down with media members and answering any and all questions regarding mixed martial arts.

Here are a few highlights from Thursday’s chat.

Chael Sonnen’s trash talk has motivated Anderson Silva

It’s no secret that No. 1 contender Chael Sonnen has a way with words, especially when it comes to the subject of Anderson Silva.

Sonnen has launched a verbal assault on Silva the entire year — an attack that has gone basically unanswered by Silva.

According to White, though, Silva has heard the trash talk, and it’s had more of an effect on the fighter than he’s letting on.

“You guys have been to enough press conferences to know he’s pissed,” White said. “He’s not happy right now. He’s coming off all the negative stuff from Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates) and now he’s got (Sonnen) talking (expletive.)

“He’s fired up.”

Silva does have something to prove Saturday after he spent much of his April fight at UFC 112 dancing around the octagon.

That night in Abu Dhabi, White threatened to cut Silva from the UFC if he acted like that again.

To White, there’s no place for that kind of behavior in any sport, including MMA.

“It’d be like (Michael) Jordon going nuts in the middle of a game, screaming at people and slapping the floor,” White said. “Imagine if you saw that in a basketball game. It shouldn’t happen there and it shouldn’t happen in a fight, either.”

Lance Armstrong’s feelings probably aren’t too hurt

Chael Sonnen made headlines recently when he stated in a radio interview that famed U.S. cyclist Lance Armstrong "gave himself cancer" from "taking drugs" during his athletic career.

Sonnen later denied the man on the interview was him and said he even received a call from Armstrong.

Regardless of what you believe, White said, he doubts Armstrong is losing any sleep over it.

“Lance Armstrong has been around a long time,” White said. “Lots of people talk lots of (expletive.) I’m sure Lance isn’t too upset about it.

Whether Chuck Liddell agrees or not, he’s done in the UFC

White says his dinner with Chuck Liddell last month prior to the UFC 116 event in Las Vegas didn’t go so well.

Despite being knocked out by Rich Franklin in June, Liddell still wants to compete.

White said he hasn’t seen Liddell since the dinner but plans on talking with his friend this weekend at the UFC 117 event.

No matter what Liddell says, however, White says he won’t be fighting.

“He’s in Texas now and he’ll be at the fight Saturday,” White said. “It will be the first week I’ve seen him since last time. He’s not fighting. I’m telling you that right now.”

Jon Jones will start facing top competition

The 23-year-old phenom known as Jon "Bones" Jones is about to see a significant increase in his competition, according to White.

Bones (11-1) walked right through veteran fighter Vladimir Matyushenko with a first-round TKO on Aug. 1 and is now 5-1 in the UFC.

His only loss came when he was disqualified for throwing illegal elbows in a fight last December against Matt Hamill, a fight he was clearly winning at the time it was stopped.

Although the UFC has expressed a desire to take it slow with the prospect, Jones has certainly proved he’s worthy of a top-level opponent.

“I see him fighting one of the top eight guys in the world,” White said. “We’ll see who wins between (Ryan) Bader and (Antonio Rogerio) Nogueira. He could fight the winner of that.

“One more fight, we could see him fighting the top five.”

Friends can fight, including Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck

Jon Fitch could win a future title shot with a win over Thiago Alves in their welterweight fight Saturday.

The only problem is, he might not want it.

Fitch’s teammate and close friend Josh Koscheck could potentially win the title in a fight against Georges St. Pierre expected to take place Dec. 11. Fitch has already said, if that’s the case, he’ll consider a move up to 185 just to not fight his friend.

In his opening remarks at Thursday’s press conference, White cemented the fact that Fitch’s fight Saturday is for a title shot — one he’ll take no matter who holds the belt.

“If Koscheck beats (St. Pierre) and Fitch beats Thiago, they absolutely should fight,” White said. “Does Fitch want to take a backseat and not get a title shot? Watch Josh and possibly move up to 185? It’s so stupid.

“Who isn’t friends in MMA? If that was the case, nobody would fight. Everybody would be fighting Tito (Ortiz.)”

·
Registered
877 Posts
Anderson Silva by TKO round 2!

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
This can't be the whole transcript! Where is the part where we talk about how Toney is "gonna throw Couture off like a bitch if he hugs me". Clearly every interview with DW needs to have Toney comments in it.

·
Administrator
15,546 Posts
Eh, I don't like seeing how he feels about Jones. He's going to go from Vera and Vladdy to Bader? I don't see that as a step up, I see it as a step to the side, maybe even a step down.

The only way I'd agree to that is if there were absolutely no one else for him to fight except the winner of those two. This is becoming another Machida career path, where Jones should be fighting the top guys before he actually does. It's a bit annoying.

I agree with him that Chuck should not fight, I am gald he is sticking to it.

Where is the source for the article?

·
Banned
820 Posts
Lol at his Tito line...so true.

Dana is saving Jon Jones for a big pay day me thinks. I can not really think of anyone for him to fight as it seems a few others I would like to see him fight are all tied up.

Let Chuck do some commentary. Keep him there in some capacity.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
Eh, I don't like seeing how he feels about Jones. He's going to go from Vera and Vladdy to Bader? I don't see that as a step up, I see it as a step to the side, maybe even a step down.

The only way I'd agree to that is if there were absolutely no one else for him to fight except the winner of those two. This is becoming another Machida career path, where Jones should be fighting the top guys before he actually does. It's a bit annoying.
I mostly agree with you, but i do see Bader as a step up, but not by much... It would be interesting to see Baders wrestling against Jones...

And the only difference between what they did to Machida and what there doing to Jones, is that Machida already beat top level competition, so Machida already had experience, and im thinking the age also might be a factor.

If Bones was like 30 years old and did as good as he did against Bonner, Hamil, and Vera, he would of got top level competition instead of Vladdy, and now someone like Bader...

I could be wrong though :confused02:

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Thanks for posting. That was a good read. Notice how he said that they'd see who won the fight between Bader and Lil Nog,though? I don't think they want to put their two young guns against each other yet. I think that's supposed to be a money pay per view in 2 years time. I think Phil Davis could beat him today, but Bader has better stand up for now I guess.

I think they'll put Jon against Lil Nog to start, depending on whether he looks terrible against Bader or not.

Glad he's still sticking to Chuck not fighting, like others.

And as always, very much looking forward to Saturday night's card.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I mostly agree with you, but i do see Bader as a step up, but not by much... It would be interesting to see Baders wrestling against Jones...

And the only difference between what they did to Machida and what there doing to Jones, is that Machida already beat top level competition, so Machida already had experience, and im thinking the age also might be a factor.

If Bones was like 30 years old and did as good as he did against Bonner, Hamil, and Vera, he would of got top level competition instead of Vladdy, and now someone like Bader...

No you are right MK!

They build him up slowly because he is so damn young and I really like that. There is no point to throw him right into the Lionsgate. The Machida scenario was very different!

I also believe that the winner of Bader/Nog is definitely a step up. Nog absolutely, Bader not so much. After that he gets a top 5 guy wich is cool.

·
Administrator
15,546 Posts

I'm not impressed by Bader thus far, not in the way I am impressed by Jones. An example is, both Machida and Thiago were 13-0 when they fought each other, but Thiago was clearly a far worse fighter, even before they fought and the world realized this, most fans could simply agree that Machida would wreck him (except for those who hate Machida).

Bader is doing well no doubt, but he has not impressed me enough to think he has a decent chance against Jones. It's nothing against Bader, he's an up and coming guy and he is doing well, but I want to see Jones against top competiton, and Bader is, at the very best, a step to the side coming off Vaddy/Vera, rather than a step up.

As for the age thing, I can see that being an issue in this case. Jones is still very young. The thing is, though, vlad is 39 years old, and that didn't stop 23 year old Jones from destroying him in a few minutes. If you have the skill, you have the skill, regardless of age, and clearly, Jones needs a high step up in competition, and someone like Bader just isn't it.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Yea but Bader first fights Lil Nog. And if he wins that one, wich I doupt, then he is a step up in my mind.

If he loses then Nog fights him! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
Yea but Bader first fights Lil Nog. And if he wins that one, wich I doupt, then he is a step up in my mind.

If he loses then Nog fights him! :thumbsup:
You both make good points! And i would agree Bobby that Lil Nog would be a decent enough step up in my mind, and if bader beats him u have to give him credit.

But for some reason i almost feel as if id rather still see Jones fight Nog even if Bader can pull out a win, unless of coarse Bader beats him convincingly, and shows he has taken that step up, and is waiting to showcase it...

Then id be happier...

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
LOL at everyone would be fighting Tito. Hilarious!
And Jones...he needs yo fight a contender. TOP 6-8 fighter.
After he wins :thumb02: he should get a fight wich will determine teh number 1 contender.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
LOL at everyone would be fighting Tito. Hilarious!
And Jones...he needs yo fight a contender. TOP 6-8 fighter.
After he wins :thumb02: he should get a fight wich will determine teh number 1 contender.
Surely it will happen like that.
Dana already told he´s gonna fight a top 8 in his next fight.

Im not in a big hurry for him to be champ, i know he´ll and i know he´ll keep the belt for a very long time....

·
Registered
39 Posts
“Who isn’t friends in MMA? If that was the case, nobody would fight. Everybody would be fighting Tito Ortiz”

Gotta agree with the other posters on this. One of Dana's best lines yet.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
AN FRANCISCO — The UFC held its pre-fight press conference Thursday in the buildup to this weekend’s middleweight title fight between Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen.

In addition to many of the fighters competing on the card, UFC President Dana White was in attendance to run the show.

Following a press conference, White is known for sitting down with media members and answering any and all questions regarding mixed martial arts.

Here are a few highlights from Thursday’s chat.

Chael Sonnen’s trash talk has motivated Anderson Silva

It’s no secret that No. 1 contender Chael Sonnen has a way with words, especially when it comes to the subject of Anderson Silva.

Sonnen has launched a verbal assault on Silva the entire year — an attack that has gone basically unanswered by Silva.

According to White, though, Silva has heard the trash talk, and it’s had more of an effect on the fighter than he’s letting on.

“You guys have been to enough press conferences to know he’s pissed,” White said. “He’s not happy right now. He’s coming off all the negative stuff from Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates) and now he’s got (Sonnen) talking (expletive.)

“He’s fired up.”

Silva does have something to prove Saturday after he spent much of his April fight at UFC 112 dancing around the octagon.

That night in Abu Dhabi, White threatened to cut Silva from the UFC if he acted like that again.

To White, there’s no place for that kind of behavior in any sport, including MMA.

“It’d be like (Michael) Jordon going nuts in the middle of a game, screaming at people and slapping the floor,” White said. “Imagine if you saw that in a basketball game. It shouldn’t happen there and it shouldn’t happen in a fight, either.”

Lance Armstrong’s feelings probably aren’t too hurt

Chael Sonnen made headlines recently when he stated in a radio interview that famed U.S. cyclist Lance Armstrong "gave himself cancer" from "taking drugs" during his athletic career.

Sonnen later denied the man on the interview was him and said he even received a call from Armstrong.

Regardless of what you believe, White said, he doubts Armstrong is losing any sleep over it.

“Lance Armstrong has been around a long time,” White said. “Lots of people talk lots of (expletive.) I’m sure Lance isn’t too upset about it.

Whether Chuck Liddell agrees or not, he’s done in the UFC

White says his dinner with Chuck Liddell last month prior to the UFC 116 event in Las Vegas didn’t go so well.

Despite being knocked out by Rich Franklin in June, Liddell still wants to compete.

White said he hasn’t seen Liddell since the dinner but plans on talking with his friend this weekend at the UFC 117 event.

No matter what Liddell says, however, White says he won’t be fighting.

“He’s in Texas now and he’ll be at the fight Saturday,” White said. “It will be the first week I’ve seen him since last time. He’s not fighting. I’m telling you that right now.”

Jon Jones will start facing top competition

The 23-year-old phenom known as Jon "Bones" Jones is about to see a significant increase in his competition, according to White.

Bones (11-1) walked right through veteran fighter Vladimir Matyushenko with a first-round TKO on Aug. 1 and is now 5-1 in the UFC.

His only loss came when he was disqualified for throwing illegal elbows in a fight last December against Matt Hamill, a fight he was clearly winning at the time it was stopped.

Although the UFC has expressed a desire to take it slow with the prospect, Jones has certainly proved he’s worthy of a top-level opponent.

“I see him fighting one of the top eight guys in the world,” White said. “We’ll see who wins between (Ryan) Bader and (Antonio Rogerio) Nogueira. He could fight the winner of that.

“One more fight, we could see him fighting the top five.”

Friends can fight, including Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck

Jon Fitch could win a future title shot with a win over Thiago Alves in their welterweight fight Saturday.

The only problem is, he might not want it.

Fitch’s teammate and close friend Josh Koscheck could potentially win the title in a fight against Georges St. Pierre expected to take place Dec. 11. Fitch has already said, if that’s the case, he’ll consider a move up to 185 just to not fight his friend.

In his opening remarks at Thursday’s press conference, White cemented the fact that Fitch’s fight Saturday is for a title shot — one he’ll take no matter who holds the belt.

“If Koscheck beats (St. Pierre) and Fitch beats Thiago, they absolutely should fight,” White said. “Does Fitch want to take a backseat and not get a title shot? Watch Josh and possibly move up to 185? It’s so stupid.

“Who isn’t friends in MMA? If that was the case, nobody would fight. Everybody would be fighting Tito (Ortiz.)”
It'd be like Michael Jordan closing his eyes during free throws during a game. His 15 minutes were totally gone.

·
Registered
320 Posts

This could seriously be added to my signature.

Besides, no sentence, to me, sounds more fun in my head than yelling "F*** YOU TITO!"

Seriously, try it. It's even fun to say.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.