Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont any of you find it alittle degrading always having your boss refer too you as a KID , its like being called a maggot in the military during basic training , after that your Pte Maggot ;) , but seriously i find the way he speaks to fighters is soo wrong im surprised no one has even broached the subject.... These MEN are far from kids , i cant remeber any kid that has the balls to be locked in a cage with another waiting to pounce you.....Dana needs to properly acknowledge his fighters and DROP this kid this kid kid this kid that come on Dana its these MEN that are making your life like a kids fantasy...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Not really, the connotation is very different when used in sports, it's basically another way of saying dude, or guy.

Dana uses it way too much though, but probably just out of habit.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Agreed. I think he once called Keith Jardine a kid on TUF. Does Jardine look like a kid? No. Well... maybe a really ugly one. Fact of the matter is Keith Jardine was almost 30 at that time. I can tolerate him calling young fighters kid, but when it's Randy Couture it's gone too far.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really, the connotation is very different when used in sports, it's basically another way of saying dude, or guy.

Dana uses it way too much though, but probably just out of habit.
Your missing the point COMPLETELY Dana isnt a MMA fighter soo the whole sports commonality is waived. Dana is one to want to be on a higher level then those around soo he keeps that KID term close to his heart because he thinks he's better then EVERYONE its a egotistically thing to call another MAN a KID.

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
I can't really remember fully, but doesn't he only say this to up and coming fighters? "kid" is used as a term in sport, generally, to define an up and comer. He's a "kid" in the sport, he's growing, coming up.

Like, Jones is a "kid" in the sport of MMA, he's still very young and inexperienced, he's "growing up".

I don't remember him calling any high level, long lived fighters kids (I could be wrong).

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
Agreed. I think he once called Keith Jardine a kid on TUF. Does Jardine look like a kid? No. Well... maybe a really ugly one. Fact of the matter is Keith Jardine was almost 30 at that time. I can tolerate him calling young fighters kid, but when it's Randy Couture it's gone too far.
When has he ever used it for Couture? Source? I've only ever seen it used for the TUF guys or young up and comers, or guys in their 20s. I think the dividing line for him to stop using that term is right around 30, which is probably ok since he's over 40 and in that sense guys in their 20s are like kids to him.

·
Gone Fishing
4,534 Posts
If someones older than you they should be able to call you kid without upsetting anyone or come off as degrading. I'm 31 and I get called kid, pup, wet behind the ears and all sorts of stuff. It's a compliment from a person who's probably envious of your youth. People get upset about the most pointless things:sarcastic12:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hes refered GSP as a kid , BJPenn and countless of others when he uses the term it isnt always in connection with speaking on behalf of someone coming up in the leagues. He was mentioned how BJpenn was going threw his division , he stated this kid has cleaned out almost everyone in his division something something something , the evidence is there i was taught from the military to be very alertive to whats being said and what is going on around you soo i tend to pick up on these lil things easier then some, Like watching a movie and being able to spot all the goofs like ending a scene for example having dinner and the plate is all finished , the next scene the plate has half the dinner consumed. Im not saying it hurts the league but rest assured theres alot of fighters in the UFC that would pound you out in a second if you referred to them as a KID , because theres not too many sports where you are literally a GLADIATOR ready for a war , sports try to concieve this but really its only 1on1 sports that should share it.

If someones older than you they should be able to call you kid without upsetting anyone or come off as degrading. I'm 31 and I get called kid, pup, wet behind the ears and all sorts of stuff. It's a compliment from a person who's probably envious of your youth. People get upset about the most pointless things:sarcastic12:
I disagree if im doing something that most people couldnt be able to do young or old i think i would deserve a word that better describes me. Then KID

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
When has he ever used it for Couture? Source? I've only ever seen it used for the TUF guys or young up and comers, or guys in their 20s. I think the dividing line for him to stop using that term is right around 30, which is probably ok since he's over 40 and in that sense guys in their 20s are like kids to him.
I don't think he's ever called Randy kid, but I wouldn't bet on it (I was exaggerating to make my point). I'm pretty sure he's called grown men (late 20s, early 30s) kid or it wouldn't have struck me as odd. Why don't we make a list? :thumb02:

I'll start with Machida (although he was the already the champ), Shogun (even after he won the belt), Jardine (29 at the time), Lesnar (he's 33) and Leben (nowadays a veteran).

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I don't think he's ever called Randy kid
yeah he did during that whole "pay" dispute where he was trying to set the record straight about couture's greed..He also called him a kid repeatedly when he was tryin to hype the couture/lesnar fight

look it up

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
I don't mind at all, it's part of what makes Dana who he is, plus it fits the promother-cliche perfectly :)

And if a fighter is offended because of this little habbit of Dana's and can't smile and find it funny. Well, then I think that fighter is an uptight prick and has no sense of humor about himself or is incredibly insecure... So, suck it up, you work for him not the other way around

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
THIS^^^

the rest of you wet behind the ear puppies, get over it

funny thread

·
Registered
642 Posts
yeah he did during that whole "pay" dispute where he was trying to set the record straight about couture's greed..He also called him a kid repeatedly when he was tryin to hype the couture/lesnar fight

look it up
It's not someone else's job to "look it up" when it's something that in theory supports your argument. That's your job, or accept the fact that you have no credible source yet.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
You mean to tell me 41 year old Dana White has referred to 28 year old Georges St. Pierre, 28 year old Shogun Rua, and 31 year old BJ Penn as 'kid'?! The audacity of the man! As if a decade's difference in age warrants that type of talk! Despicable...

·
Banned
75 Posts
I don't mind Dana that much, he seems very approachable but all business as well, was very impressed with his decision to kick out Paul Daley. I doubt other commissioners/presidents would have done something like that, but then again MMA warrants different circumstances.

The thing that cracks me up about Dana is that he thinks he's tougher than just about every UFC fighter. It's quite funny actually. He tried to act all tough against Tito but you could tell Dana was about to shit in his pants. He's like the kid in school who told jokes all the time, and that you didn't mind that much but wanted them to get their ass kicked. My brother was that guy. Always joking around, taking things too far but thinking he's invincible just because "he's just joking man"...Yeah, he started messing around with the wrong Ukranian one day and got KTFO.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts