Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dana White "very confident" Jake Shields will be in UFC, not as "TUF 12" coach

Dana White "very confident" Jake Shields will be in UFC, though not as "TUF 12" coach

by John Morgan on Apr 25, 2010 at 5:20 am ET

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18878/whi...will-be-in-ufc-though-not-as-tuf-12-coach.mma

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – While Saturday night's "WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber" event was filled with several memorable moments, one of those lasting images was that of Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields sitting cageside with UFC president Dana White.

The picture was pasted on the in-arena screens for all to see, and the image was also featured on the evening's pay-per-view broadcast.

While White mouthed the words, "He's mine," the UFC exec later would wryly claim he was just watching some fights with the Strikeforce employee. Nevertheless, White's intentions with Shields are certainly clear.

Following the evening's post-event press conference, White told a small group of reporters that he's not currently negotiating with Shields but that he plans on doing so very soon.

"The deal with Shields is that there's some discrepancy whether it's 45 or 60 days he has left on his (Strikeforce) contract, so he can work that out with the knuckleheads, and when he does, we'll jump in there," White said.

In March, White told reporters that he was going to negotiate for Shields' services, though he seemed fine with falling short in the process so long as he hurt Strikeforce in the process.

"[Shields] is going to get paid because what's going to happen is we would love to take him from there, and I'm sure they'd love him to stick around," White said. "I will help drive that [expletive] number right up through the roof and let the Showtime boys pay him a lot of money."

Following Shields' convincing April 17 win over former UFC fighter Dan Henderson, White seemed a bit more resolute in his chase.

"I'm very confident he's going to be with the UFC," White said on Saturday.

One rumor that has been widely discussed is the potential for Shields to appear opposite UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre in the upcoming 12th season of "The Ultimate Fighter."

While it would be premature for White to promise such an appearance considering Shields is still under contract with Strikeforce, the UFC exec said the pending start of filming means that his potential new employee simply can't be considered for the show.

"The problem with 'TUF' is that you have to pull the trigger, and you have to make decisions on that immediately," White said.

"We actually just cast ['TUF 12'] last week. We start filming in five weeks."

·
Banned
820 Posts
Dana wants the man bad, and I see him getting him.

Leave TUF to non-contenders please! I hate tieing things up like that. Oh, and make sure they will actually be fighting when they are supposed to.

·
ASS MAN
6,063 Posts
We'll see what exactly shakes out from the appearance with Jake and Dana loving on each other on the WEC broadcast- it wouldn't be the first time the UFC has rolled in a fighter from another organization and wasn't able to sign them. Jake could be using the UFC just as much as Dana was using him to mess with Strikeforce to force a better deal with Coker if he wants to re-up with them.

We'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I am not a Jake Shields fan but this willbe a good pickup for the UFC.

He is a former WW champ who just beat the guy everybody said was #2 at MW.

Shields could really stir up the UFC WW division. And put me to sleep doing it.

·
Fruits & Vegetables
2,580 Posts
No matter where he ends up, Shields must be loving life right now.

If he does end up in the UFC, I could see a Shields vs Alves/Fitch for #1 contender after the winner of Kos/Daley gets a shot.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
I am not a Jake Shields fan but this willbe a good pickup for the UFC.

He is a former WW champ who just beat the guy everybody said was #2 at MW.

Shields could really stir up the UFC WW division. And put me to sleep doing it.
The guy is determined and effective. Maybe the most effective bjj in the game. except for this last fight I usually know that when he gets a TD I can take a bathroom break, burn one, check on the wife and get back in time to watch him inch his way to a sub. Effective but boring.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Personally I see SF screwed either way with this. If he does sign with SF he will have turned down a lot of money from the UFC so I am assuming the money SF gives him will be a lot, and now that they have Fedor in cross promotion, Henderson with a lot of money, and now Jake? Can they afford that while still making fights like the last one?

If Shields signs with the UFC they just lost their MW champion and everyone knows everything else that is bad with that.

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasnt really a Jake Shields fan, but he really impressed me with the win over my boy Hendo, so i gotta give him his props

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.