Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dana White: We have a three-year plan for the WEC that I believe in

by James Kimball on Apr 23, 2010 2:15 PM EDT

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/23/1439499/dana-white-we-have-a-three-year

Props: Las Vegas Sun

Quoteworthy:

"The hardest part of all this is just figuring it out and believe it or not, I have a plan for this whole thing. What I'm doing today is based on my idea that all television is going to the Internet. That's what I believe and I've believed it for a long time. One thing I can say is, whether you agree or disagree with the decisions I've made, every year we've taken this thing to another level. What we're going to do over the next three years is pretty (expletive) cool."

UFC president, and at least for the time being WEC promoter, Dana White shares his thoughts on the whole UFC/WEC merger discussion. While everyone in the MMA community has noticed and questioned the lack of WEC branding for this event, effectively titled "Aldo vs. Faber," White has stood behind his reasoning for the numerous perceived strategic moves in the lead up to the first of its kind pay-per-view event. Anybody out there care to channel their inner Miss Cleo and predict what Dana has in store for the always entertaining WEC promotion? Let's hear it, Maniacs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'll hazard a guess.

There's no reason to have a WEC and a UFC. They've basically eliminated all the crossover in the wieght classes.

But it's not lost on Dana that the little guys bring it. Frankie Edgar vs Urijah Faber @ 145 would be quite the fight, entetainment wise.

If Dana has a plan that's gonna take three years, it's continued 'free' WEC, but increasingly the big fights are PPV. Then cross-promo, UFC/WEC. Then just convert WEC titles to UFC titles, maybe with some posching of outside talent.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
"The hardest part of all this is just figuring it out and believe it or not, I have a plan for this whole thing. What I'm doing today is based on my idea that all television is going to the Internet. That's what I believe and I've believed it for a long time. One thing I can say is, whether you agree or disagree with the decisions I've made, every year we've taken this thing to another level. What we're going to do over the next three years is pretty (expletive) cool."
I'm fairly sure Dana is going to fold the WEC into the UFC. I'm also fairly sure that's not what he's talking about in this comment, because there's no way he's going to wait three years to make that happen.

I'm expecting something good with comments like this. I imagine that the UFC will make use of the internet at some point, though I think that the notion that the UFC is going to look to do real, free internet streaming is a bit of a jump, as much as I'd love for that to be what Dana's talking about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.