877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1. Anderson
2. GSP
3. BJ Penn
4. Edgar
5. Aldo

Seriously Edgar?
And Anderson still tops the list despite Dana White's criticism after Abu Dhabi?

"How can a guy, who hasn't fought ANYBODY since the late
90's fall in the pound for pound category?".

Very impressive considering the fact that Fyodor had his MMA debut in 2000...

Yes, I would love for him to fight Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin. But it may never happen as long as the UFC won't allow co-promoting.

Why is Dana always surrounded by a bunch of yes-men, where is the critical journalism towards his manipulative form of arguing?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I actually agree with it, Edgar just beat BJ Penn and has won 4 straight including a win over Sherk with having only 1 loss on his record. Edgar's win over BJ is much much better than any win Fedor has had in the last 6 years. Everybody judges p4p differently but I don't consider it a career achievement award but more of a who is dominating the sport the most the last year or two and Fedor just straight up hasn't fought world class competition fight in and fight out since PRIDE collapsed and he only fights like once a year. At first I was thinking I would put Aldo above Edgar but Edgar just beat BJ and the 145 lb weight class isn't very deep and a win over BJ blows away a win over Mike Brown or Faber imo. So yeah i know everyone loves Fedor but imo his inactivity and list of opponents since 05-06 just doesn't cut it in the p4p disucssion. Anderson is unquestionably the top spot, if Shogun wins his next fight he will jump into the top 5.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He crushed everyone in Pride and has maintained his undefeated reign.
Andre Arlovski, Brett Rogers, Tim Sylvia (and now Fabricio Werdum) are all in the top 15 of heavyweights.

Dont be fooled by their performances AFTER their fight with Fyodor.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Andre Arlovski, Brett Rogers, Tim Sylvia (and now Fabricio Werdum) are all in the top 15 of heavyweights.

AA is losing to everyone these days, Tim Sylvia got KTFO by a 50 year old boxer in 10 seconds, and Brett Rogers is a nobody in this sport, his only non can victory is over AA who is really tanking these days. Like I said imo victories over BJ Penn and Sherk blow Fedor's outta the water, if it was 2006 a win over AA and Sylvia would be amazing but he didn't fight them in 2006. I dont consider p4p a career award if it was Fedor would be 1, he isnt dominating the sport or his division like the other guys on that list are and hasnt since PRIDE collapsed 4 years ago. Like I said p4p is not a career award if it was Roy Jones would be atop the boxing p4p list but he isnt, p4p is a who's dominating the sport RIGHT NOW, not who dominated the sport 5 years ago. Look at everyone on that list inlcuding Edgar, all of them have defeated the best of their division (even Edgar) and have wins over the majority of the top 10, does Fedor? No, he hasn't fought JDS, Cain, Carwin, Mir, Brock who all of which imo are top 8 HW's. I like Fedor and his record speaks for itself but p4p isnt something he qualifies for right now.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
If you take out Edgar and put in Fedor it's not that bad of a list. Personally my list would look like this:

1. Anderson Silva - Hes so good he holds the Ufc record for most consecutive wins, and it's still going. He toys with his opponents in the ring or just destroys them quickly, and nobody else in his weight class even stand a chance against him.

2. Georges St.Pierre - Ever since his fluke loss to Matt Serra years ago GSP has been on an underrated tear in which he has completely dominated all of his opponents. He has shown possibly the best wrestling in MMA, very good striking, and even good BJJ skills against Dan Hardy.

3. Fedor Emelianenko - While his amazing 31 fight undefeated record proves his legend, you have to admit that Fedor hasn't fought the best competition his weight class has to offer and struggled against mid-level guys like Brett Rogers and Andrei Arlovski before knocking them out.

4. Jose Aldo - This young fighter is one of the fastest growing and most hyped young stars in the sport. He's dominated his weight and shown very excellent all-around skills. Almost like a lighter poor mans Anderson Silva.

5. Shogun Rua - Hes back in his old prime form now and crushed previously undefeated champ Machida. This new Shogun looks like he could beat anybody in the world at his weight.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Wait so Dana White, UFC promoter, is saying only UFC fighters are at the top of his list!!?!?!?!?!

SHOCKING!!!!

Nothing new here, he is just doing his job.

Too bad most MMA journalist are too afraid to call him out on his bullshit. He'd probably have their UFC credentials pulled if they did. So they wont.........

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts

The only reason they would be ranked top 15 is because of the very very thin talent pool at HW. Shit, Arlovski was ranked #2 in the world at one point in time and he never beat anybody good!!!

Dont believe the lies, rankings in MMA mean nothing. It's an unpopular opinion but it's true.

·
Banned
439 Posts
AA is losing to everyone these days, Tim Sylvia got KTFO by a 50 year old boxer in 10 seconds, and Brett Rgoers is a nobody in this sport, his only non can victory is over AA who is really tanking these days. Like I said imo victories over BJ Penn and Sherk blow Fedor's outta the water, if it was 2006 a win over AA and Sylvia would be amazing but he didn't fight them in 2006. I dont consider p4p a career award if it was Fedor would be 1, he isnt dominating the sport or his division like the other guys on that list are and hasnt since PRIDE collapsed 4 years ago. Like I said p4p is not a career award if it was Roy Jones would be atop the boxing p4p list but he isnt, p4p is a who's dominating the sport RIGHT NOW, not who dominated the sport 5 years ago. Look at everyone on that list inlcuding Edgar, all of them have defeated the best of their division (even Edgar) and have wins over the majority of the top 10, does Fedor? No, he hasn't fought JDS, Cain, Carwin, Mir, Brock who all of which imo are top 8 HW's. I like Fedor and his record speaks for itself but p4p isnt something he qualifies for right now.
This!

Dana's P4P list isn't P4P of all time, it's P4P currently. Not to take anything away from Fedor, but the people he has competed against recently isn't exactly "world class" fighters anymore but ones that are on the downhill of their careers.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I am truly shocked Dana white would put fighters under his corporate umbrella in the p4p list and not include rival organizations fighters.

*shakes fist*

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
If you take out Edgar and put in Fedor it's not that bad of a list. Personally my list would look like this:

1. Anderson Silva - Hes so good he holds the Ufc record for most consecutive wins, and it's still going. He toys with his opponents in the ring or just destroys them quickly, and nobody else in his weight class even stand a chance against him.

2. Georges St.Pierre - Ever since his fluke loss to Matt Serra years ago GSP has been on an underrated tear in which he has completely dominated all of his opponents. He has shown possibly the best wrestling in MMA, very good striking, and even good BJJ skills against Dan Hardy.

3. Fedor Emelianenko - While his amazing 31 fight undefeated record proves his legend, you have to admit that Fedor hasn't fought the best competition his weight class has to offer and struggled against mid-level guys like Brett Rogers and Andrei Arlovski before knocking them out.

4. Jose Aldo - This young fighter is one of the fastest growing and most hyped young stars in the sport. He's dominated his weight and shown very excellent all-around skills. Almost like a lighter poor mans Anderson Silva.

5. Shogun Rua - Hes back in his old prime form now and crushed previously undefeated champ Machida. This new Shogun looks like he could beat anybody in the world at his weight.
Yes...havn't seen too many fights of Aldo so I'd put Penn in that spot instead.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Yes...havn't seen too many fights of Aldo so I'd put Penn in that spot instead.
You should really check out Aldo's fights, he really is an incredible fighter and a certain superstar for years to come. I left BJ Penn off the list for several reasons. First of all, his MMA record of 15-6 isnt very impressive. Granted, records dont mean everything and many of his losses came against very good fighters but a top 5 p4p is supposed to be able to beat very good fighters. Second, he's not even the champion in his own division and lost his last fight. Sure, you could make excuses about his sinus infection which may be valid but until/unless he redeems himself in the rematch this summer you really cant put him in the top 5 over any of the guys i listed.
BJ Penn is a great fighter and definite top 10 p4p who has been dominant against top contenders, but in the end he doesnt deserve p4p instead of Aldo. In fact, many people including myself believe that Aldo could very well defeat Penn if he were to move up to the UFC's lightweight division.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
I'm not going to make a P4P list, but I am assuming Penn takes the belt back from Edgar in definitive fashion.

the megafights coming or should happen will tell the story:

Carwin VS Brock
Anderson VS GSP
Anderson VS LHW champ
GSP VS Shields
GSP VS Kos II
Fedor VS a legit top 5 HW (even Mir).
HW Champ VS Cain
Penn VS Aldo

The only one on tap is Brock V Carwin. The Carwin VS Brock hopefully will last more than one round, we see if Carwin and Brock have chins, gas when the monsters collide and well-rounded games.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
AA is losing to everyone these days, Tim Sylvia got KTFO by a 50 year old boxer in 10 seconds, and Brett Rogers is a nobody in this sport, his only non can victory is over AA who is really tanking these days. Like I said imo victories over BJ Penn and Sherk blow Fedor's outta the water, if it was 2006 a win over AA and Sylvia would be amazing but he didn't fight them in 2006. I dont consider p4p a career award if it was Fedor would be 1, he isnt dominating the sport or his division like the other guys on that list are and hasnt since PRIDE collapsed 4 years ago. Like I said p4p is not a career award if it was Roy Jones would be atop the boxing p4p list but he isnt, p4p is a who's dominating the sport RIGHT NOW, not who dominated the sport 5 years ago. Look at everyone on that list inlcuding Edgar, all of them have defeated the best of their division (even Edgar) and have wins over the majority of the top 10, does Fedor? No, he hasn't fought JDS, Cain, Carwin, Mir, Brock who all of which imo are top 8 HW's. I like Fedor and his record speaks for itself but p4p isnt something he qualifies for right now.
This and even though I do it myself it is retarded to put a HW on a p4p list.

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Lets be real here. He has Edgar fighting BJ in a rematch... this p4p list makes Edgar a legit competitor whether he wins or loses. If he wasnt on there and Edgar beats BJ then what does that say about their LW champ?

Dana is playing it safe.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts