Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching Ultimate Ultimate 96 today and there was a fight between tank abbot and Cal Worsham. Worsham tapped out and tank went in with a late right hand, then as Big John in pulling him away and the fight is obviously over tank throws another cheap shot. Tank is laughing about it as he walks out of the arena. Worsham was seriously pissed.

I seem to remember a few years ago dana basing a whole ufc event about the return of Tank abbot.

Now obviously the excuse is that Dana wasnt in charge at the time tank threw that cheapshot, but its very unlikely he hadnt seen that fight.

If I was paul daley I would be asking my lawyer to put that to the UFC and get a response....

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
It's a nothing point. Dana White and Zuffa weren't in charge of the UFC at that point. So it's not even remotely double standards, and Paul Daley has no legal hold over the UFC because of it.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a nothing point. Dana White and Zuffa weren't in charge of the UFC at that point. So it's not even remotely double standards, and Paul Daley has no legal hold over the UFC because of it.
Think of it this way. They cancel his contract, Im sure there is a clause on fair play but not a specific clause on cheap shots after the bell.
So your a lawyer in court arguing the point. Your argument is Dana White is saying there is no place in the UFC for somebody who would throw a cheap shot after the bell. Yet this is the same man who promoted a whole event using a fighter that had done this very thing. How can the organisation stand behind that?
Sure they can say we didnt own the promotion when he committed the discretion, but surely its also a debatable point in court....

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
So you are blaming Dana for something he was not in charge of?

That´s just ridiculous!

You may come with all sorts of crazy logics you want, they will all lack on basis...

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I don't think it is. Gilbert Yvel did something similar before signing with the UFC; Nate Marquardt too. But they didn't occur in Zuffa run events. Abbott's first fight for the Zuffa run UFC came in 2003, 7 years after the Cal Worsham incident. I think it would have been very petty for Dana to stop Abbott fighting for the UFC for doing something in what was in essence a completely different company. I don't think Daley would gain anything bringing an incident like this up in court.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I don't think Daley really has any leg to stand on in a court of law. The Tank incident was before Zuffa owned the UFC so while they were UFC contracts that Tank was under, it was not a Zuffa/UFC contract. Also the rules and whatnot have changed dramatically from 1996 to when Zuffa bought the company. Daley broke a rule and Dana made him pay the ultimate price, it may be harsh to some people but I dont see any legal reason how Daley could win a lawsuit or what he would gain. As far as Dana saying "there is no room in the UFC for those types of people etc", that's just Dana's opinion, that phrase and moniker I highly doubt is in the contract, and again when Tank did it, it had zero to do with Zuff and or Dana.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
There's no fighters unions and Zuffa can cancel a fighters contract at any time for pretty much any reason they want. They're the boss and the fighters are the contractors. Piss off the boss and you get let go just like any other job.

·
Registered
319 Posts
IMO you also have to look at the circumstances behind this sort of thing. There's probably been a few times when fighters are still going at it at the bell and there's a punch or two thrown right after it. Caught in the moment, you are in go mode.

What daley did though is not quite the same. he wasn't in the midst of throwing punches and trying to knock an opponent out when the bell rang. He litterally had to stand up after it was over move around the ref and almost turn Kos around to hit him. I think there's alot os subtle differences between this sort of thing and maybe throwing a punch or two within seconds of the bell rining.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Zuffa wasn't running the UFC back then.
Plus...MMA was still fresh, still at the beginning. MMA was a new sport back then, the fans didn't know much about this sport. All they wanted to see was a blood bath, two guys going at it, swinging, beating the shit out of each other. And even incidents like the one inolving Tank Abbot was something the fans liked.
Nowaadays, that kind of incidents are unacceptable in this sport. You have the crowd boo-ing for an illegal shot, for even accidental eye-pokes or any other moves. The fans from these days are more educated in the sport of MMA and therefore they can appreciate a good fight or a good fighter and they can sanction unsportsmanlike behavior.
Daley acted irationaly and stupid. And he has to pay for his mistake now. he had 15 mins to land that punch and he didn't.
Dana and the UFC need to make an example out of him: this kind of actions won't be tolerated.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
LOL great topic, actually I don't think Tank even hit Worsham late I think Worsham was just trying to save face after Tank tried to throw him out of the cage. The UFC cut Cal after his tantrum. Daley stalked Kos after the bell and hit him when he wasn't expecting it, not when he was in Kos's guard. Also it happened right after the strikeforce brawl so I'm sure Dana felt like it was a case of monkey see monkey do.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Doesn't matter anyways, when they brought Tank back the UFC was a giant money pit that they just kept throwing shit at. They brought Tank back because they needed him to help establish the new fighters. What happened was when they lost PPV they lost there fan base and when they got back on PPV the fans thought guys like Pedro Rizzo and Frank Mir would get handled by guys like Tank Abott and Ken Shamrock guys who built there reputation in the early days of PPV. Zuffa needed those guys and they brought back as sacrificial lambs to establish the new generation of MMA fighters. Tito/Shamrock should have never happened but Zuffa needed to prove that Tito was legit. Daley does not have that kind of ability to make a star.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The main reason Dana is taking such aggressive action in this particular case is that the timing is particularly bad. Not only did it follow the Strikeforce debacle, which reflected poorly on the sport, but it was also a high-profile Canadian event. The UFC is very popular in Canada but had to jump through a lot of hoops and make huge efforts to get a temporary one-time-only event in Vancouver. If that event goes well, the city council could be more enthusiastic about future events. The Montreal UFCs have been very successful and Dana's also looking to Toronto, which doesn't allow MMA fights either. MMA is HUGE in Toronto and Vancouver, and these are very attractive markets for expansion - virtually guaranteed sellout events.

You gotta think too that getting an event in New York has to be on Dana's radar. Vancouver was the short-term goal, and Toronto maybe the next step. New York will be easier when they see a lot of cities overcoming initial doubts and having successful events without riots or God's wrath or whatever the hell they're all so afraid of (i.e. being sued).

Then Daley steps in and does his best to make MMA look like a criminal assault in a cage rather than a legit sporting event. That's not how I view it, but it's the image of the sport that Dana's trying to fight. Opponents of MMA can point to Daley's late punch and the Strikeforce brawl and scare politicians into "no MMA in Toronto/NY" declarations.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
It isn't double standards if Dana never had any involvement with the UFC in the first incident. He never had a an original statement on that incident to go back on.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Dana lets a cretin like Gilbert Yvel fight in the UFC after he:

1) Was disqualified for biting a fighter
2) Purposely gouged Don Frye's eyes
3) KO'd a freaking ref

If anyone deserves a lifetime ban from the UFC it's Yvel. And don't give me that bullshit about that stuff not happening under Dana's watch. It doesn't matter, there are certain things that demand a permanent ban from the top MMA organization and punching a ref is #1.

The reason Dana banned Daley was because he felt personally disrespected. He didn't feel personally disrespected by Diaz at the SF event because it wasn't a UFC event. But it's still a UFC fighter that has certainly been told to keep on the straight and narrow by Dana.

Dana has no standards other than, simply behave during MY shows.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Dana lets a cretin like Gilbert Yvel fight in the UFC after he:

1) Was disqualified for biting a fighter
2) Purposely gouged Don Frye's eyes
3) KO'd a freaking ref

If anyone deserves a lifetime ban from the UFC it's Yvel. And don't give me that bullshit about that stuff not happening under Dana's watch. It doesn't matter, there are certain things that demand a permanent ban from the top MMA organization and punching a ref is #1.

The reason Dana banned Daley was because he felt personally disrespected. He didn't feel personally disrespected by Diaz at the SF event because it wasn't a UFC event. But it's still a UFC fighter that has certainly been told to keep on the straight and narrow by Dana.

Dana has no standards other than, simply behave during MY shows.

Isn't that all he should be worrying about?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.