Votes: 63 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Dana White now regret not signing Fedor? Eventually UFC will need to partner with other organizations as MMA grows and the list of fighters grows 10x. Why not now with M-1 (playing devils advocate)? I bet he also would have garnerd Gegard...imagine a UFC event with this double main event? Or did Dana do the right thing and keep UFC solo and still they are leaps and bounds ahead of Strikeforce...

Brock vs. Fedor
A. Silva vs. Gegard

·
Clowns will eat me
3,958 Posts
I think he did the right thing(I don't like it but that is a different thread). I don't see them as needing to co-promote with anyone in the near or distant future. They are who everyone thinks of when you talk about MMA. From a business standpoint UFC is the king..

·
Registered
118 Posts
The thing with Strikeforce is the card they had didnt pull as much as kimbo fighting did even with some of the best fighters in the world fedor gegard shields and miller whos is a legend in my mind. They put all there goods in one pot with this event now the next event on cbs, the december 19th card, how will this even come close to the last card. UFC can consistently put on cards people will not only watch but pay $50+ for, so if he lets go of 2-3 top caliber fighters there is no big deal. He did the right thing.

·
Banned
95 Posts
He did the right thing! He said it himself - he offered Fedor a ton of money, but M1 wanted to co-promote. Come on.. M1 would be NOTHING without Fedor, and if Fedor doesn't fight for the money, why couldn't they agree with each other to split the pot?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thing is Fedor fighting is an EVENT...I am biased but he is so freaking dominant. Would be a coup for the UFC.

As far as a December 19th event

Kevin Randleman vs. King Mo
Robbie Lawler vs. Tim Kennedy
Nick Diaz vs. Jay Hieron
Herschel Walker vs. Someone
Gina Carrano vs. Someone

That would get me to watch?

·
Registered
118 Posts
yah but how many other people
we are all pretty big fans so im going to watch for sure but no casual fans will

·
Registered
202 Posts
They cant go one like this forever, as the sport grows more and more organizations will form and the list of good fighter will grow 10x. Can you honestly say that you could see boxing as one big organization? No eventually he will have to co-promote and stop running the company like the wwe.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yah but how many other people
we are all pretty big fans so im going to watch for sure but no casual fans will
That all depends on promotion..say you'll throw in a Fedor interview. Gina is very promotable as is Herschel Walker. CBS gave them mucho exposure so I think they need to piggy back off that. Also they could have Lindland or Arlovski fight (not each other). I think more people would watch than you believe, whether its on Showtime or CBS.

·
Resident Drunk
3,716 Posts
You should have had another option that said, "Regret not coming to terms with Fedor, still wanting him, but not giving into all his demands."

The whole co-promoting thing just killed the deal but I wasn't at the negotiating table so I don't even know if that was the main reason the deal didn't go through, but it sure sounds like it was a major factor.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should have had another option that said, "Regret not coming to terms with Fedor, still wanting him, but not giving into all his demands."

The whole co-promoting thing just killed the deal but I wasn't at the negotiating table so I don't even know if that was the main reason the deal didn't go through, but it sure sounds like it was a major factor.
I think everyone would then pick that 3rd option, LOL.

·
Live right and every other day is a good one to di
1,431 Posts
he did the right thing for the UFC's interests. As soon as Fedor retires or loses a legit loss his value drops to well below the copromoting level. Moreover, M1 brings nothing else to the table... and wanted a profit split. that's ludicris.

also, unintentionally, he did a great things for the fans. The strikeforce event was fantastically executed and Mousasi and Fedor both looked supurb.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I think everyone would then pick that 3rd option, LOL.
True.
There was a lot of people at the event and more watching on tv, probably a lot of casual fans that now might start being more mainstream. I think Strikeforce will help grow the sport by doing this. Not so much without Fedor. Great for the sport but not as great for the fans..I watched a few good fights for free and thats a plus also.
That being said I do wish Fedor was in the UFC..

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And Mousasi, how good is Gegard!?!? And only 24, very marketable!

Imagine Machida vs. Mousasi...I'd pay to see that fight!

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
True again, and the UFC allmost had him.(Mousasi) strikeforce got him cheeeeeep!
IMO a big Strikeforce (as in lots of talent) is good for the sport and the fans.
I see one situation where a cross promotion would work for dana, have a champion vs champion in each weight class after Fedor gets the belt. How cool would that be, the biggest PPV in the history of MMA. imo

·
Po Pimpin
795 Posts
They did a bad thing.. There not jus battling a org any more but a whole damn tv network. The draw and attention that Fedor can draw and even more so as he goes on with cbs showings is unstoppable.. If cbs so chooses Im sure the funding would be there for Strikeforce to be able and put the funds forward to start stacking there org.. WIth that being said alot of it has to fall back to Fedor.. UFC made a mistake.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
True again, and the UFC allmost had him.(Mousasi) strikeforce got him cheeeeeep!
IMO a big Strikeforce (as in lots of talent) is good for the sport and the fans.
I see one situation where a cross promotion would work for dana, have a champion vs champion in each weight class after Fedor gets the belt. How cool would that be, the biggest PPV in the history of MMA. imo
You sir are an optimist, because unfortunately, Dana would never risk his organization like that. Imagine if Fedor KO's Lesnar and Mousasi beats Machida? Strikefore will lay claim to the best two fighters in the world and it would be undisputed!!!! Dana's ego is too big for that unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Does Dana White now regret not signing Fedor? Eventually UFC will need to partner with other organizations as MMA grows and the list of fighters grows 10x. Why not now with M-1 (playing devils advocate)? I bet he also would have garnerd Gegard...imagine a UFC event with this double main event? Or did Dana do the right thing and keep UFC solo and still they are leaps and bounds ahead of Strikeforce...

Brock vs. Fedor
A. Silva vs. Gegard
You think so? They have swallowed any competition so far, why are they going to have to co-promote with the likes of M-1?

I completely disagree and think Dana obviously did the right thing.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The thing with Strikeforce is the card they had didnt pull as much as kimbo fighting did even with some of the best fighters in the world fedor gegard shields and miller whos is a legend in my mind. They put all there goods in one pot with this event now the next event on cbs, the december 19th card, how will this even come close to the last card. UFC can consistently put on cards people will not only watch but pay $50+ for, so if he lets go of 2-3 top caliber fighters there is no big deal. He did the right thing.
It's a new league, some people might have missed the fight just because they didn't even hear about it or there wasn't really that big of a deal made of it. UFC events get mass publicity, while this strikeforce event didn't(at least here in Chicago it didn't, I saw no commercials for it, no hype, I only knew cuz I come to the forums)

Now that the event occurred, and it was an awesome event more people will take note of it and it will have the same viewers if not more next time. I wish good luck to Strikeforce, they just need a little more advertisement for their events.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now that they can show Fedor highlights and the new EA sports game thats coming out? That will help for sure!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts