Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously Dana had to be jealous and pissed that Strikeforce got national primetime coverage with a major network partner going into Saturday night. So do you think, based on the actual event means that Strikeforce is going to encroach on the UFC base?
Personally, I think not. Outside of Fedor, the fights were boring IMO. I was watching with a group of newbies and a couple of regulars and virtually everyone thought it sucked. The newbies won't be coming back to MMA for a looooooong time. The regulars are looking forward to the next UFC card (even though we appreciated Fedor), even though it's weak. And the Mayhack Miller entrance completely embarrassed me as a longtime MMA fan. Cheerleaders? Really? The newbies started comparing it to XFL and WWE. Not great for MMAs rep. Actually, that part may have hurt UFCs ability to gain new fans.

·
Registered
797 Posts
What are you talking about? Almost all those fights were great, except the last few rounds of the Shields fight where he lay n gay.

Maybe you're the "newbies" and shouldn't be coming back.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are you talking about? Almost all those fights were great, except the last few rounds of the Shields fight where he lay n gay.

Maybe you're the "newbies" and shouldn't be coming back.
Ya, newbie since ufc 1. Just my opinion dude.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
The Miller entrance was awesomely epic.

(even though it was a redux of his Dream entrance, but still)
I don't really like those kind of entrances. I mean this kid looked like a spycho. He represence this Sport in a very very bad way. He is that kind of guy who look's like he would kill his opponnent in the cage even when the referee says stop. He should take some lessons from Silva, Lyoto or Mousasi.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not everyone is a calm quiet person. Some people have personality and like to express it and his entrance is his way of pumping up and getting ready to put on a show for his fans.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have to agree in saying what were you watching. Strikeforce put on a lot of good fights that night. Better than A LOT of the cards the UFC has put on.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
SF has some top fighters but they still don't boast the same roster as the UFC, simple as that. Also, if we get down to brass tacks, the production values of SF, on a cosmetic aspect alone, was very poor. Still, Strikeforce has a lot of potential but a bit to go yet I think, and mainly just in their marketing.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Not everyone is a calm quiet person. Some people have personality and like to express it and his entrance is his way of pumping up and getting ready to put on a show for his fans.
In my opinion its just bad for this Sport. He can do this in the locker room. He shows zero respekt for his opponent. Those high level combat fighters should all be acting like Gentelman. Nobody wants to see animals fighting in a cage each other. He acted like a streetfighter, its rediculos to act like that. He looked like an Animal and i don't like this kind of acting in front of a main audience when we are still trying to make this sport bigger. The Combat Sport should be all about Respekt for his opponent.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
SF has some top fighters but they still don't boast the same roster as the UFC, simple as that. Also, if we get down to brass tacks, the production values of SF, on a cosmetic aspect alone, was very poor. Still, Strikeforce has a lot of potential but a bit to go yet I think, and mainly just in their marketing.
Hit the nail on the head. Good post.

·
Earthquake Survivor
1,936 Posts
In my opinion its just bad for this Sport. He can do this in the locker room. He shows zero respekt for his opponent. Those high level combat fighters should all be acting like Gentelman. Nobody wants to see animals fighting in a cage each other. He acted like a streetfighter, its rediculos to act like that. He looked like an Animal and i don't like this kind of acting in front of a main audience when we are still trying to make this sport bigger. The Combat Sport should be all about Respekt for his opponent.
Boring, different personalities give you a reason to get more emotionally attached to the fighters and growing a fan base, this is professional sport and needs money to grow, you can keep the 100% respect for amateur fights but you need to spice things up for a sucessful mainstream product.

As long as the Fighters go by the rules i have no problems with them, sure maybe i'll hate their guts but that's just more of a reason to want to see him get his ass kicked.

·
Live right and every other day is a good one to di
1,431 Posts
it hurt them a bit with me... not because i have any objections, whatsoever, to the practices or productions of the UFC but simply because it was a great card that was free. I watch every event that comes our way, save for those i am out of the city/country for, and more recently the cost of watching every UFC has begun to bother me. i was very happy with the SF/CBS show, and if they keep putting on events that are that good... i may even be inclined to skip even a live PPV counter programmed event -- if there were one -- and catch it online instead.

things are tough all over and the UFC has steadily raised prices without offering an otherwise improved product or more fights per card. :dunno:

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
I don't really like those kind of entrances. I mean this kid looked like a spycho. He represence this Sport in a very very bad way. He is that kind of guy who look's like he would kill his opponnent in the cage even when the referee says stop. He should take some lessons from Silva, Lyoto or Mousasi.
What? Mayhem is a standup guy, everyone knows that. He's just quirky. This dude's fanbase is huge, he just loves to put on a show and is always a.) a great fighter who is impossible to finish and b.) extremely respectful of his fans.

Mousasi and Silva are sort of known for talking down on their opponents before and after, not in a blatant Tito way but not in a very classy way either.

and I'm Mousasi's #1 fan, the dude backs it up 150%, but Mayhem isn't a violent psycho by any means and it's a weird comparison.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
No, if anything it may helped bring in more fans to the UFC. MMA shows that don't look like they are setups ( a la Elite XC ) only help to build MMA as a whole. When people spend money on talent, and production ( a big missing part for alot of UFC competition ) then everyone wins.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I loved the card and thought the fights were great. I'll watch the next one for sure.

Only thing is they REALLY need to get a new color commentator because that guy is a total doucher

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Obviously Dana had to be jealous and pissed that Strikeforce got national primetime coverage with a major network partner going into Saturday night. So do you think, based on the actual event means that Strikeforce is going to encroach on the UFC base?
Personally, I think not. Outside of Fedor, the fights were boring IMO. I was watching with a group of newbies and a couple of regulars and virtually everyone thought it sucked. The newbies won't be coming back to MMA for a looooooong time. The regulars are looking forward to the next UFC card (even though we appreciated Fedor), even though it's weak. And the Mayhack Miller entrance completely embarrassed me as a longtime MMA fan. Cheerleaders? Really? The newbies started comparing it to XFL and WWE. Not great for MMAs rep. Actually, that part may have hurt UFCs ability to gain new fans.
I don't know where your going with this....

1) The card was free, How can you complain about watching awesome fighters for free?

2) The fights were solid, I don't see the problem here also the 4 main card fights were good. Although Shields vs Mayhem lacked a little bit of zip it was interesting to watch some really cool jits.

3)If you had ever watched an event outside of the UFC (which I doubt) you would know that Mayhem always does crazy entrances, He has also bought more fans to the sport than most top #5 fighters. He gets a lot of coverage he has his own MTV show and does numerous things with the media. He is also a world class fighter, granted he won't be breaking in to the top 5 anytime soon but the dude has skills. If you are embarrassed by Mayhems entrance I think you need to grow a pair and appreciate an ambassador for the sport.

How you have come to the conclusion that this would damage the UFC's ability to gain fans is beyond me. I see it may be hard for you to accept that good MMA does happen outside of the UFC, but give it time you will learn. :thumb02:

edit :
Watch some of Jason's videos on youtube, the guy is pretty intelligent and you seem to have been given the wrong impression. He was nothing but respectful to Shields in interviews leading up to it, they are actually friends. I really don't know where you are going with this one either...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I don't know where your going with this....

1) The card was free, How can you complain about watching awesome fighters for free?

2) The fights were solid, I don't see the problem here also the 4 main card fights were good. Although Shields vs Mayhem lacked a little bit of zip it was interesting to watch some really cool jits.
He wasn't complaining about watching it, he was saying it wasn't bringing in new fans. The SF card was the type of card that hard core fans loved and casual fans hated (or at least didn't love it). There were fighters casual fans will have never heard of and a lot of ground work that if you don't understand just looks like guys rolling around and gets boring quickly. You need good announcing to help with that sort of thing and to educate people and the commentators weren't great (not terrible, but not great).

I can see OP's point.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts