Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Hammer Fist Elbow
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
He has been completely dominating in the UFC beating some the best, Karo Parisyan, A great judo fighter and he absoultley dominated Kenny Florian in the ultimate fighter finals PLUS is fight record is 17-0-0. Thoughts?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Diego would eat BJ Penn for lunch. BJ Penn is WAY more suited as a lightweight. His pride got the best of him when he's tried to step up to Welterweight. Dude can't train as a pro MMA fighter and still maintain the pounds to stay in that weight class. The man is phenomenal but IMHO he is in the wrong weight class. GSP beats Matt Hughes and takes the title!!

·
Hammer Fist Elbow
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GSP and Diego would be a great fight. There both great on the ground and standing. In the end GSP would win but Diego deserves a chance to fight for the title at least even if he does lose. I mean Karo Parisyan got his tooth knocked out by Diego!

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I don't think Diego is ready for a title shot yet. It's gonna be a tough one for him, Hughes is a monster. Or if GSP wins the belt he will have his hands even fuller in my opinion

·
Registered
2 Posts
cabby said:
I don't think Diego is ready for a title shot yet. It's gonna be a tough one for him, Hughes is a monster. Or if GSP wins the belt he will have his hands even fuller in my opinion
Well both GSP and Diego have a Unanimous decision win over Karo Parysan so Diego can't be that off from GSP level of skill but I guess I won't be certain until I see ufc 65 but Diego definetely deserves a title shot right now he is in Matt Hughes shadow all he has to do is get through Riggs. Then he will establish himself as the top 4 best in the welterweight division

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think after he fights riggs theyll give him a #1 contender match. Probably against Penn or the loser of the GSP v Hughes match.

·
Registered
177 Posts
cabby said:
he may be #2 but still. he stands no chance against GSP or HUGHES
I agree but not many people have a chance against Hughes or GSP but if Hughes does win(which i dont think he will) i bet he will get his title shot

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Matt_Serra_Fan said:
Whats with the "Oh this fighter cant stand up to GSP or Hughes" all the time in topics? Think outside the Hughes and GSP box.
this discussion is about wether diego is ready for a title shot. and the title holder is hughes(or gsp in the future possibly).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Matt_Serra_Fan said:
Whats with the "Oh this fighter cant stand up to GSP or Hughes" all the time in topics? Think outside the Hughes and GSP box.
Well if diego gets a title shot it will be against hughes/GSP. Once he fights riggs if he wins he will prob take on looser of GSP/Hughes or Penn then i think he will definatly get a title shot(if not sooner)

·
Hammer Fist Elbow
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What if the TUF4 winner gets the title (not going to happen) but ok anyway... I still think diego will give Hughes some sort of ground battle or mess him in the guard/clinch.

·
attention whore
14,445 Posts
I would say that Penn, GSP, & Hughes would slaughter Diego, but he always proves me wrong. I stopped second guessing Sanchez. Yea, they may be bad matchups, but they better be prepared to go 5 rounds(Yes, I am talking in the champion sense), because I don't see any of them finishing him.

·
Hammer Fist Elbow
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Diego is one tuff dude man you just cant underestimate him. I've seen Diego take bombs like it was nothing and just fire right back. I'd love to see Hughes vs Diego, though. It would be a hell of a fight and probably the most challenging for Diego's career.

·
Team Penn
1,454 Posts
Diego vs. Hughes - I think Hughes would dominate the match. They have similar fighting styles but Hughes is the stronger and more experienced. I think Diego could last til the end but Hughes would have his number.

Diego vs. GSP - I think Diego would give GSP a run for his money. Diego's not a bad striker, but GSP is better, but I think diego's wrestling could neutralize GSP from taking him down. But GSP can stuff take downs too. I also think he could last the full match here.

Diego vs. Penn - The most in the air match up. Penn has the best chance to submit or knock out Diego, but in a five round match if Diego can last than he has a very good chance to steal a decision but he would have to win that 3rd round because I think BJ would definitely win the first 2.

So, pretty much his only shot at winning the title is if Penn has it and he doesn't get knocked out or submitted in the first 2 rounds and he would have to win that 3rd round. That's alot of ifs.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.