Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two things stuck out in my mind about UFC 60, first, how Gracie was not submitted by that Hughes armbar and second, how awful Diego Sanchez looked and performed.

When Sanchez was on the UF Spike show and in his bouts afterwards, he looked ripped, had an intense excercise/supplement regime and was an animal in the octagon. Last night he looked soft and could execute a simple single leg takedown which he could do in his sleep a year ago. And when he was in a clinch or on the ground his opponent escaped from his grasp time and time again. Sanchez used to be relentless and when he got his hands on you he never let go and either worked the submission or was like a Matt Hughes in ground and pound training. He would have walked through that average opponent he faced last night a year ago.

Not only did his transformation take me by surprise but the lack of broadcast journalism by the in house announcers was deafening in their silence. I know they are there to build up the sport and not say anything negative but my gosh, Sanchez has either gone off the juice or he has a terminal disease.

Does anybody out there have the inside scoop on Sanchez? I realize we will never get the answer from the PR announcers. :mad:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re:

You talking about the snachez vs. alessio fight? A half ass fight IMO. Sanchez seems to be a poor boxer. You'd think Alessio as a striker could knock Sanchez out. I really started booing Alessio while he just let Sanchez hang on his back, though he did almost get an armbar on Sanchez. Yes, I have seen Sanchez fight much better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed, the fight was lame but more importantly Diego Sanchez (the decision winner) was pathetic based on previouis performances and appearances in the octagon.

My point being is this guy has had a major metemorphasis, for the worse. He was one of the brightest up and comers. Ripped, fearless, tenacious and super hungry. Instead a soft, amateurish, tentative fighter shows up. I hope someone can shed some light on this subject. Did the guy get sick during training or is he just off the juice and this is what is left?:dunno:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually I'll voice a dissenting vote here - I liked this fight. I was impressed with Allesio's ability to keep the fight standing. I was also impressed by his ability to support Diego on his back for 2-3 minutes. As for Diego, I was impressed that he could keep himself aloft for so long. There was not much of an exchange - I'll agree with you on that - but this fight was unique for other reasons including those I noted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My orginal point is not so much that the fight was good or bad but the negative physical metamorphasis and drop in performance of Diego Sanchez. It was shocking. I'm kinda hoping someone who has followed his career since his appearance on the Ultimate Fighter Spike show will comment.:(

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
i deff followed his career and he was the best one in the tv show but now he is fighting some real opponents that arent gonna get ko in the first round by strikes. but anywys this kid still has the skills to be one of the best. its just his last match he was avg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please go to the ufc site and look at some pics of him in his ufc debut and go to the spike tv site season one of Ultimate Fighter. That is a different person. I have to believe that he was on the juice. I mean this guy was one of the ufc's project boys and now I don't know what to think. And it wasn't his competition, it was as if he was reprogrammed. I mean it was obvious when he walked in the ring and after a minute or so of the fight, much before the now infamous "mounting".
I'll stop beating a dead horse but I was under the impression this was a fairly big deal.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
u would of thought that the tv show wuld test for steroid users. i really dont know what to say about sanchez, ill have too see his next match to say what i really think of him

·
Registered
4 Posts
DAT said:
Please go to the ufc site and look at some pics of him in his ufc debut and go to the spike tv site season one of Ultimate Fighter. That is a different person. I have to believe that he was on the juice. I mean this guy was one of the ufc's project boys and now I don't know what to think. And it wasn't his competition, it was as if he was reprogrammed. I mean it was obvious when he walked in the ring and after a minute or so of the fight, much before the now infamous "mounting".
I'll stop beating a dead horse but I was under the impression this was a fairly big deal.
I`d like to remind you that in season one of Ultimate fighter Diego was fighting in middleweight, thus allowed to weight 185lb in comparison to 170lb he is fighting nowadays. Obviously you can clearly see the difference after losing 15 pounds of muscle mass. And of course it affects his fighting also. Maybe 170lb is not the right weight class for him?

About the Alessio fight, it was a very close fight (boring) and either one of them couldn`t do much, I think judges definitely made the right choice. They should never reward a fighter doing nothing but avoid contact for the whole fight. Alessio looked like a covard to me. While it`s not an excuse for Diego performance, it was easy to Alessio keep sprawling when it was really the only thing he was gonna do anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
DAT said:
dude diego was fighting at 185 on the show, of course hes gonna look smaller, he is smaller by nearly 20 pounds....hes just in good shape, hes got no fat now..thats all

·
Registered
756 Posts
gravedigging are we?

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
Holy ancient thread. I am glad these are still available for newish fans to educate themselves although I don't see the point in bumping a 2 year old thread...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Wow this is crazy...The orginal poster of this thread seen the holes in Sanchez's game before he started his slump....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts