Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hathaway has a nice future looked impressive, big dude, strong dude, a strong MMA wrestler from England ?... top 10 WW already, maybe top 5 if he can repeat.

But, to gauge really.. You can't say that was pre-BJ Penn Diego Sanchez. Coming off one of the worst, and longest beatdowns -- 22 minutes or so of getting beat the hell up. That was the kind of beatdown that takes few years off your life.

Diego was practically missing an missing eye, lower lip ripped to pieces, destroyed face, blood spewing all over at the end, not to mention what his head was probably going through the following next week(s). Who knows what else was broken/hurt/damaged. From BJ beating him down for that long, it takes more than 5 months to come back to full form, if ever.... In his fight with BJ he got decimated for 5 round, he probably saw that flash bang bang bang over 30 times before the stoppage. He didn't discuss any of it, so who knows.

That was not the fast, explosive Diego. It would have been a more competitive match, Diego is not that sluggish and one dimensional.

Deigo's 28, heart of a lion, likely won't ever be a champ, but maybe a #1 contender one day, but still always an entertaining fighter, top 10 WW if he's healthy, he needs to really take time off and recover.

While on the topic of damage, in Machida v Rua II, Machida was coming off broken ribs, a broken hand and F-ed up legs from Rua, so he probably wasn't the same either. Rua took no damage from Machida. BIGGER edge Rua, gave me best odds i've seen in a UFC match-up in years.

·
Registered
436 Posts
No disrespect to Diego whatsoever, but in the past he has had trouble with "High-level wrestlers"; reason being is that his biggest strength is his ability to end up on top (in the scramble) and as well as pushing the pace. While his wrestling is pretty good, at a completely objective level, it's not at an elite level - which is why high level wrestlers are able to neutralize his strength as a scrambler. He's one of the best scramblers out there, but pure wrestling wise - he's no Fitch, Hathaway, GSP ..etc..

His striking is improving, but it's not at an elite level whatsoever (yet). I've also neglected to mention that it makes no sense for him at (5'9"ish) with the EXACT same muscle he had at 155 lbs to compete at 170 (with a bit of extra fat) and think he can hang with these boys who are legit 6 footers and weigh almost 200 lbs in the offseason and are lean (in better shape than himself physically) to boot.

IMO, if he goes back to LW he could give Edgar, Florian, and a lot of other fighters trouble with his takedown and scrambling ability and could easily be top 5 in the divison.

At WW, with guys like GSP, Sheilds (perhaps), Alves, Fitch, Kos, Kampmann, Hathaway, Almeida, Thiago, ..it would be VERY GENEROUS (but i'll concede, not impossible) to give him a future as top a 10 with the division the way it is now.

Diego, go back to LW and get back on the winning streak - he is more than capable at holding his own there.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Diego just isn't good at anything besides being hyper aggressive and having great cardio. Everyone just has hi figured out and nobody is trying to run his race with him anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Sanchez needs to go back to Lightweight, he looked like a migit compared to Hathaway! Guys fighting at WW walk around between 180 and 200 lbs, sometimes more. Deigo simply isn't big enough to compete at 170. Let him go back to LW and work his way back to the title there.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I feel so bad for Diego. He really believes in himself and you gotta wonder what's going through his mind after getting dominated by bj Penn and then getting beat convincingly by a 22 year old.
The sad truth is that Diego will never be anything other than a gatekeeper, no matter what division he fights in.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I can't remember what he looked like before but he didn't look in great shape and fought horribly. I think Hathaway is just a better fighter but Diego didn't look the same. Back to the drawing board, but he'll never be a top fighter.

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts
He should just move right back down to lightweight. Diego is the type of fighter that needs to be the bigger, stronger guy in the matchup to impose his will, so how he made up his mind to move up to a division with guys that walk around at 200+ I have no idea. At LW he would be easily a top 10 and maybe even work his way up to a title shot one day. He would never beat Penn or Florian though. A big heart and bags of cardio doesn't cut it against the best.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He's still a top 10 at LW or WW in MMA, but he didn't show the same caliber effort that he has ever shown in the past - slow, not as good shape, just not as explosive. I said he's not going to be a future champion unless the stars allign and somehow he gets a shot and pulls an upset. Ya and I agree he probably would fare better as a LW.

What I am saying is he's coming back 5 months after one of the most devastating destructions ever seen. It wasn't a one punch KO, it was 5 rounds of destruction of a man's face, mind and body. <----That probably had something to do with it. I remember every comment regarding Diego about the destruction he took being about the same by the commentators and White. After the Penn fight was over it looked like Diego should have had his face reconstructed.

He does have a future as a gatekeeper atleast, but I seriously think a longer lay off was due after that Penn fight. And at 28 y.o., that was the slowest, most one dimensional Diego ever seen - was just saying, I'd rather see him fight at the level he's capable of.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Diego just isn't good at anything besides being hyper aggressive and having great cardio. Everyone just has hi figured out and nobody is trying to run his race with him anymore.
I think this is very true.

In addition, I think Diego's game is devolving. It's going backwards after leaving Jackson's camp. That may just be my perception but it's like he doesn't have as good training partners and that he's had his standup hyped too much.

Before writing him off I'd like to see him head to Jackson's camp and try to start again. Plus, I agree with some that he needs to stick to 155 if he's going to just be a 155'er with fat. Either bulk the hell up at 170 so that your shots are more powerful, or stay at 155.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I dont know why ppl keep saying he should go back to LW. reactionary much? If things dont work there should he move up again? :confused05: this was just a road bump while his body adjusts to 170 again and his mind shakes of the bj beatdown..He can still compete at WW he just happened to face a giant who was hungrier..

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Diego is a monster at 155 and should stay there.

The only guys I'd never see him beating are BJ, Edgar, Kenny and Maynard. Having said that he'd still be able to compete with all of them..

However at welterweight he gives up too much size and I really can't see him beating anyone in the top 15.

GSP, Kos, Shields, Alves, Fitch, Johnson, Hardy, Hathaway, Mike Pierce, Paulo Thiago , Condit, Brown, Saunders, Lytle.. I'd consider Diego an underdog against any of them.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
"Wow I just got beaten up by ex-LW champ... What should I do? OH OH I KNOW! I'll go back up to WW and try to take a run at the title held by the guy who destroyed that ex-LW champ and 2 other guys that have beaten me previously!"

Gotta love that logic...

He has no business sense either. People have wanted to see Florian vs. Sanchez II for a while now. He could derail another title contender at LW by beating Florian again on relatively huge rematch fight and get himself close to another title shot. But no...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.