Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the LHW division and have decided it really makes me want Dana to bring back some sort of Tournament structure to the UFC. Obviously guys wont be fighting in the same night like before. But you could argue that about 6 guys in the LHW division deserve title shots if they win their next fights. Why not structure it a bit?
Would certainly clear up the division a bit rather than everyone being confused about what you have to do to get a shot at the champ cos atm i have no idea where it puts JJ or Lil Nog if they win their fights, or where Ace or Chuck would be when one of them wins! I'm totally confused!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I like the idea of one day tourney, but not for the title and not on UFC main cards, but just special events now and again on "fight nights" would be good and I think SF could make them work also, would be good to ether bring through new fighters like TUF, in a format at the UFC where the winner gets a 3 fight UFC contract or something along those lines where the line up is made up from fighters whos contracts are up and in doubt of renewal and new contenders who have never fought for the UFC, so you could have like 3 UFC vets and 3 new fighters.

I think SF could make it work for a garunteed title shot, or even for the title if one of there champs leaves them and leave the title open.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'm a sucker for tournaments. I think it provides a way more structured means for deciding who's worthy of a title shot. Problem is if it's not all the same night it ties up all of the possible contenders for the duration of the tournament so there's nobody to challenge the champ. Now of course if the UFC already has the next two contenders lined up, that frees them up some time to run through a tournament for the third in line :dunno:.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
It could work if the numbers were kept low, otherwise it would take too long. For example now we know Kos and GSP are going to fight, have a 4 man tourney to work out the next contender.

Fitch
Alves
Shields
Thiago/Serra

Imagine that for a tourney if Shields gets signed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think a middleweight tourney for title can be made right now. Anderson silva already have two challangers lined up and, as Dana said, after he beats them, he will have to vacate his title and move up to 205. And I think middleweight division does not have one or two guys who are clearly the best (beside anderson) and a tourney for the title taking place in 2011 would be a good idea.

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
Sadly no with the politics surrounding mmm a today it would be a bad idea. I would love to see a tournament the ufc had to get rid of those and create weightclasses ad rules and give the fighters longer to recover to keep from being ban.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Regularly? No. In some situations though, I do believe that it could be helpful. For example, the WW division's rankings are all over the place, so a small tournament could help solidify the ranking for the time being. Same for Middleweight.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I was looking at the LHW division and have decided it really makes me want Dana to bring back some sort of Tournament structure to the UFC. Obviously guys wont be fighting in the same night like before. But you could argue that about 6 guys in the LHW division deserve title shots if they win their next fights. Why not structure it a bit?
Would certainly clear up the division a bit rather than everyone being confused about what you have to do to get a shot at the champ cos atm i have no idea where it puts JJ or Lil Nog if they win their fights, or where Ace or Chuck would be when one of them wins! I'm totally confused!
I'd like to see a UFC "The Tournament", say once a year, just to spice things up a bit, with a trophy for winner, instead of a belt being up for grabs, with no bearing on title contention places.
Maybe even an openweight tourney, ala pride the thought of this makes my mouth water.

Could even bring in outside fighters, just to compete on one off tourney contracts, so we could see a Fedor vs Brock etc

And UFC will get rights to use fighters on Games etc, without having to own them, or stop fighters competing in other activities e.g K1, ***** etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
imaging ufc with bellator-style tournament (8 man tournament where they fight over who got the honor to fight the champ) with superfights with the champs as headliner for the events, just for one year...too bad that the ufc got too many fighters and a name-building policy that would never allowed it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.