Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching the last fight for Kongo, I've lost faith in his fighting. It just didn't seem like he had the will power to make it through a tough fight. I believe that he is awsome when getting the upper hand, but when he has to overcome a bad start, he loses all hope for a win.

Tell me if you think he'll bounce back from that loss.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Do snowballs, melt in hell? (I promise they do)
So yes, he will bounce back, BUT he needs more training. (that was one big but) Before he is going to be more than filler material on someone elses resume.

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
screenamesuck said:
why do people always count out a fighter loses one fight? He had a really impressive win the match before then he has a bad one. That doesn't mean he is going to lose every fight from now on. People have to have bad fights sometime in their career.
I'm not saying that he will lose every fight fromm here on out, but if you aren't ready to be one of the elite, IT SHOWS WHEN YOU LOSE!!!

I don't see why people feel the need to dismiss a loss like it doesn't tell anything. It does. It tells you how you handle the pressure and if you can take not getting the upper hand right away.

From what I saw, he doesn't handle things not going his way well and if you look at the great ones, even when they lose it's not a three round boring fight because they can't muster up the strength to try again when it not working right away.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That last fight of Kongo's was not great, but it wasn't bad. I think Kongo was able to do more damage on Carmelo from the bottom than Carmelo was doing on top. Carmelo took no chances so Kongo couldn't capitalize on any mistakes. Kongo was bashing him with elbows in the later rounds once he was able to make some adjustments. Carmelo just took him down and smothered him the whole fight. Kongo will be back. I thought he handled himself better than most people when they're on their back. He'll train and be back even better.

·
Registered
669 Posts
That fight was TERRIBLE. That fat wrestler showed Lay and Pray at its best. Im glad he landed on his head because that was terrible.

I think Kongo will be ok, i just think his ground game is to weak to fight guys like Mir, Vera, or AA.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hopefully that awfule loss with make Chieck relize that he needs to be aggressive in the octogon, like he had been in his past fights. If the best Kongo steps into the octogon i think he could beat any HW in the UFC

·
Registered
103 Posts
All the mad skills in the world won't keep you around if you keep putting up lackluster performances like that. It was almost like he gave up. Not gonna profess to knowing his mindset, just looked that way.

·
Crazy Kicker
957 Posts
he did get a chance to show how hard he kicks, remeber that bruise on his leg. that was sick

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was soooooooooooo dissapointed by this fight, it was definitely the one I was checking for the most outside of the silva fight. Dude just seemed to not be there, normally he's a great fighter...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was really disappointed by that fight, because I think I'd heard a little buzz about Kongo around these boards.

But as I recall it, Kongo wasn't particularly damaging as a striker and pretty useless once he hit the ground. I haven't seen any of his other fights, so I don't know if this is truly indicative of his skills or not.

While anyone can rebound from an off night, I wonder if the loss might expose weaknesses in his game that other (more talented) fighters can exploit. Also, I have to wonder if the UFC will give him the chance to fight again, given the underwhelming performance he gave against a part-time fighter.

·
Registered
148 Posts
almost all the fighters get a second or a third chance to start winning. So one loss will not keep him out of the ufc. Even though it was as boring as it gets, his other fights were fing awsome. Son one poor fight will not keep him out

·
Registered
148 Posts
mrbalkie said:
Do snowballs, melt in hell? (I promise they do)
So yes, he will bounce back, BUT he needs more training. (that was one big but) Before he is going to be more than filler material on someone elses resume.
Exactly. He was nowhere near prepared for this fight.

His ground game needs major work, especially his takedown defense (****ing brutal!).

I was really keen on this guy, but I've taken a step back after 64. Hopefully he works hard for a couple months and comes back knocking someones head off in January.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quietus said:
But as I recall it, Kongo wasn't particularly damaging as a striker and pretty useless once he hit the ground. I haven't seen any of his other fights, so I don't know if this is truly indicative of his skills or not.
I'd have to disagree with the striking bit. I think he's got a lot of power, especially in the legs (knees and leg kicks) - I haven't seen a man as big as him move so quickly (as when he finished his previous fight on that knee). Hell, he damn near broke Marrero's leg with one kick.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think he will get another shot in the UFC, even if it's just prelims or Fight Night specials. But if he takes another loss following his performance at UFC 64, he's probably done in the company for the time being.

I was highly dissapointed with how he fought at 64 as well. I honestly had him pinned as being a big time player in UFC in a few years. Plus with a name like Cheick Kongo, it's easy marketing.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
AMPLine4Life said:
I think he will get another shot in the UFC, even if it's just prelims or Fight Night specials. But if he takes another loss following his performance at UFC 64, he's probably done in the company for the time being.

I was highly dissapointed with how he fought at 64 as well. I honestly had him pinned as being a big time player in UFC in a few years. Plus with a name like Cheick Kongo, it's easy marketing.

True, one more loss like that and Dana will give him the boot. Not that I approve of that, but that's the way it works.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The guy could be a force in the UFC Heavyweight division, and we all know how bad the UFC is hurting for talent there. His worst attribute is his takedown defense, he needs to work on his sprawl, take some pointers from Liddel. THat fight was pathetic, I hope to never see that marrero guy in the UFC again, he was a professional lay and pray. He obviously isnt a fighter, he is a wrestler, he should stick to that and leave the fighting to people who arent so damn one-dimensional.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A friend of mine who is a personal trainer called it correctly before the fight. If Kongo doesn't win in the first round then he has no chance to go the distance. A guy who has that much bulk and doesn't walk around with that kind of weight naturally will always gas out. Muscle mass takes a lot more oxygen to move around in the octagon. Kongo gassed out by the start of round 2. he had nothing in his puches and kicks and no strength to hold merrero in the sprawl. Lay and pray beats out sweaty mess every day.

I wonder how he would do in the LHW division. Could he be a contender?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Kongo is a ****ing gorilla. He's a huge guy, and he's a pretty well rounded fighter. He escaped a nasty armbar by a guy that apparently submits everyone at American Kickboxing Academy, and then he knocked his ass out. I'd be scared if I were the heavyweight champion after Kongo gets a few more fights under his belt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.