Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brock has made an incredible comeback healthwise and his dedication has gotten him back to where was physically with almost miraculous speed.

He was down 40 lbs and now he's already back taking on a 12-0 monster with all finishes in the first round.

I know the MMA community at large is not quick to give Brock respect, but does Brock deserve a lot of respect for taking this fight so fast and being so dedicated to coming back strong?

Then

Now

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Of course, he deserves credit. But, he won't get it, because he's hated, especially by many on this board.
This^^^^^

Brock deserves respect for taking on a huge threat right off the bat after sitting out almost a year and coming back from said illness.

I think a lot of MMA fighters would have asked for a weak opponent first fight back after coming from what Brock has had to deal with.

The guys got a huge set of balls to take Carwin on first. Carwin isnt the best HW outside of Brock in the UFC, but his ability to end a fight with 1 punch makes him extremely dangerous.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
His recovery is impressive, but he doesnt really deserve any extra respect for taking on Carwin as his first fight back. Im actually a Lesnar fan, not trying to downgrade him or anything, but the dude is the champion. It is now his job to fight the second best fighter in the division in every one of his fights as long as he still wears the belt. Champions dont get warm up fights, they get the hardest fights. There is nothing particularly impressive about this being his first fight back, it would have been completely ridiculous if he would have faced any one other then Carwin, Cain, or JDS for his return.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
His recovery is impressive, but he doesnt really deserve any extra respect for taking on Carwin as his first fight back. Im actually a Lesnar fan, not trying to downgrade him or anything, but the dude is the champion. It is now his job to fight the second best fighter in the division in every one of his fights as long as he still wears the belt. Champions dont get warm up fights, they get the hardest fights. There is nothing particularly impressive about this being his first fight back, it would have been completely ridiculous if he would have faced any one other then Carwin, Cain, or JDS for his return.
Stylistically, I think JDS would have been an easier fight. Not that I think Carwin is better than JDS.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
What's your problem with him?
I respect him as a fighter but not as a person. We will see how he acts from now on but whenever I talk about him to someone who is not a drunk college kid who thinks that Lesnar is by far the greatest fighter ever, they say all they know about him is his not so honorable performance after the mir fight.

I know it was a while ago and there have been worse things since then but that is what the everyday person remembers about him and that is not good for the sport.

Maybe it is money wise since I guess his events get bought a lot but I am looking more towards it becoming big sport that everyone can follow.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I don't really understand how you can say he's made a comeback if you haven't seen him fight yet.

I guess he's physically back in shape but all I've seen is a few pictures. The dude is so isolated that you can't say anything for sure. It's all speculation until fight night.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
I absolutely give him props. I'm not a Brock hater but when he runs his mouth, it makes the sport look bad at a time when it's gradually achieving slightly more mainstream status.

Brock is one of those fighters, like BJ Penn, who when they aren't heard from in the press running their mouth for awhile, I think "Damn. They're cloistered away working their ass off."

If this is the case, and he beats Carwin, I hope he will be classy in victory.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Uhg. Fighters get hurt / sick all the time. I will never have respect for Lesnar...

I can't wait for the day he's a hasbeen and forgotten. Won't be that much longer than now after Carwin.
You're going to tell me that all fighters get so sick that they nearly DIE all the time? Wow thats some real hate there. Pretty sad people are like you in this world

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
If Brock wins his next 3 fights against what I feel are worthy No.1 contenders for the HW title then he will earn my respect, as far as I am concerned up to now he has beaten nobody and showed a distinct lack of mixed skills, he fact he has show no skills.

As far as I am concerned there is no UFC HW champion, the belt is a joke and is very very very far from reflecting the best fighter in the division right now, Carwin will be Brocks first title worthy opponent, but he is also a little one dimensional, so if Brock wins he still has a lot to prove in my eyes. the number one HW in the UFC is JDS imo, until JDS looses, I will think of him as the real UFC HW Champ, and I can't wait for the day that he collects his belt.

I believe Carwin will take the belt away from Brock and that JDS will take it away from Carwin, that how I see the HW title going in the near future.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
You're going to tell me that all fighters get so sick that they nearly DIE all the time? Wow thats some real hate there. Pretty sad people are like you in this world
You're grossly exaggerating how close he was to dying. Dana was the one who said he "might" die and last time I checked Dana was not a doctor.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts