Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question I've been wondering about. I've never really seen him stick to any game plan other than the always wonderful "kick your ass wherever the fight goes".
It wouldn't even surprise me if he doesn't watch videos of the guys he's fighting.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Fedor trains specifically for every fighter he faces. For Cro Cop he worked extensively on kick counters and kick defence. I think it is just hard to notice because he is so good at neutralising his opponents strengths. So all we see is Fedor kicking ass again.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Fedor has stated he trains the same for the most part for every fighter. The same routine, same trainers. No special plan he takes whats given in the fight.....

Here's the usual:

http://fedor.bel.ru/index_eng.shtml?id=147

Seems his trainers say different.....

Q. (for coaches) How do you prepare for specific opponents?
A. (Voronov) We try to watch as many fights as possible of our opponent and
study them in greatest detail we can. We even search the web. The fighter
ALSO is a part of game plan selecting team. IF the opponent is a striker, we
train striking more, and if he is a grappler we concentrate on grappling. We
find weak spots and work on that.
And on Fedor's prep...

Q. How do you prepare Fedor for the fights? And other fighters? Does music
help? Heavy metal, to give aggression?
A. Fedor likes to not think about the fight at all. He plays cards and talks
about other things. Other fighters with less experience may like to be ⌠hot
before the fight, so we need to support them and yes, even aggressive musis
helps then.

·
Administrator
15,487 Posts
I think it's a mix of both.

He knows who he is fighting, and with so much tape and things, they probably all sit down and get an idea of what his opponent does best/worse, so he knows what to expect and how to counter/handle whatever he brings. However, at the same time, he just fights to his best abilities. He's really good everywhere, we all know that. He can knock you out, sub you, etc. He fights how he needs to based on where the fight is at in that moment, but he studies tape so he knows what to expect in all situations. I don't think he comes in with a full on gameplan, but he does study his opponent so he can know what to expect/counter things he does.

This is my guess, anyways.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I think it's a mix of both.

He knows who he is fighting, and with so much tape and things, they probably all sit down and get an idea of what his opponent does best/worse, so he knows what to expect and how to counter/handle whatever he brings. However, at the same time, he just fights to his best abilities. He's really good everywhere, we all know that. He can knock you out, sub you, etc. He fights how he needs to based on where the fight is at in that moment, but he studies tape so he knows what to expect in all situations. I don't think he comes in with a full on gameplan, but he does study his opponent so he can know what to expect/counter things he does.

This is my guess, anyways.
As far as I can tell they seem to just focus on the other fighters weakness more....duh, but really dont switch his prep too much....:confused02: I swear I have watched him state "I dont have a gamplan for my opponent I take what they give me"

·
Administrator
15,487 Posts
As far as I can tell they seem to just focus on the other fighters weakness more....duh, but really dont switch his prep too much....:confused02: I swear I have watched him state "I dont have a gamplan for my opponent I take what they give me"
Well, that's the strange thing. If he focused on his opponents weakness so much, he wouldn't almost always beat them at their own game. It's like... He studies their weakness as to know what to expect, but he just fights to the best of his ability wherever the fight is.

I don't know, it's confusing as his trainers say they make gameplans but he himself says he does not.

I'm sure there is a gameplan somewhere in there when he fights, but I'm not sure how much he focuses on it as much as he "just fights".

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I dont know if he has a specific gameplan, but i can guarantee you that he is well aware of his opponents weakness leading into a fight. With Crocop, he was the first person to really expose that Crocop cant handle having someone stalking him and in his face. In his fight with Rogers, he landed a huge right hand to the dome, i think it was a big overhand right. He threw a lot of bombs at Rogers head during that fight, he seemed to be well aware of the fact that Rogers drops his hands a lot. He obviously knew that Arlovski gets over excited and doesnt protect himself if he thinks his opponents is hurt. These are just a few examples, im sure there are plenty more.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I dont know if he has a specific gameplan, but i can guarantee you that he is well aware of his opponents weakness leading into a fight. With Crocop, he was the first person to really expose that Crocop cant handle having someone stalking him and in his face. In his fight with Rogers, he landed a huge right hand to the dome, i think it was a big overhand right. He threw a lot of bombs at Rogers head during that fight, he seemed to be well aware of the fact that Rogers drops his hands a lot. He obviously knew that Arlovski gets over excited and doesnt protect himself if he thinks his opponents is hurt. These are just a few examples, im sure there are plenty more.
I also agree with you Josh I think he knows what they are about and what they are going to bring but doesnt vary too much in how he trains. More so his trainers focus on what he should be doing in the gym....I thought Rogers was doing well coving up when Fedor had him on the cage and was throwing blows that for the most part hit Brett's hands or forearms....

·
Registered
241 Posts
There is a difference between gameplans and training. I am sure he trains the same with a few tweaks for every opponent. However, for each fight, there are different strategy he comes in with.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Its difficult to say.

As I've seen others say in this thread, you get different answers depending on the source.

I know I've heard Fedor say he doesnt really gameplan at all for fighters, while at the same time you hear his trainers talk about gameplanning, watching tape, and training strategies.

Personally, I'd like to think Fedor does LOTS of gameplanning and strategizing. However, as any strategist will tell you, if you are wise, appear to be foolish and stupid, so as to deceive opponents into a false belief and sense of security.

Clearly Fedor is one of the most intelligent fighters, and given his ability to expose fighters, as well as fight them in what usually seems to be their strong suits, it must be due to at least some sort of predetermined strategy.

I really dont think their is a clear answer though, because as stated already, there are SO many differentiating comments from those around him and from Fedor himself.

·
Registered
97 Posts
They definitely have gameplans for each fight, otherwise he'll lose.

It's Fedor's ability to adapt to the style of his opponent that makes him unbeatable. Adapting very quickly enables him to find openings to finish fights.

·
Registered
118 Posts
He sure as hell should any fighter doing it as his job for money and a to earn a living should spend his down time going over tapes and creating game plans like football, no fighter is good enough to just fight another professional especially with the caliber of the guys fedor faces/ has faced there is no reason he shouldnt otherwise eventually a weakness would be exposed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts