Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Professional boxers can be paid millions of dollars per title fight. Mike Tyson historically had the biggest payday at close to 50 million per single title bout. On the opposite end of the spectrum, MMA fighters are being paid 6 figures, 7 maybe(just barely), even though the sport of MMA has grown expoentially in recent times.

I doubt any champion in any weight class is paid more than $1,000,000 per title fight.

Dana White makes the rules, he makes the fights and everyone who fights in the UFC is contractually obligated to adhere to the conditions and terms he sets.

In short, he has virtually full control over the entire sport.

There's strikeforce and other, smaller promotions. But, none of them can compete to the UFC in terms of having either the credibility or prestige UFC does.

My humble question to you. If professional boxers are able to make millions of dollars per title fight, why can't MMA or UFC fighters do the same? And, if professional boxers are able to choose who they want to fight and decline fights if they wish, why can't UFC fighters do likewise?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Dana White doesn't make fighters sign contracts with the UFC. If said fighter didn't like a contract they could just not sign it. There are other places they could go if they wanted to.

It's really only the biggest stars in boxing that are getting paid in the millions. Most of those guys have their own fight promotions or work with a promoter that promotes their fight, not an entire organization. Look at payouts for fighters not in the main event on a boxing card and guys get paid similar to MMA fighters.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
My humble question to you. If professional boxers are able to make millions of dollars per title fight, why can't MMA or UFC fighters do the same?
To be honest I cant properly answer this question as it brings up a lot of other questions along with it.

And, if professional boxers are able to choose who they want to fight and decline fights if they wish, why can't UFC fighters do likewise?
UFC fighters are allowed to decline fights if they dont want them. I could give quite a few fighters that have turned down a fight before in the UFC.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Not really, Dana white does a great job with the ufc. He puts up good show and is committed for it. Even though he monopolized the sport if he does not treat the fighter right it opens the door. Meaning another brand with deep pockets can alway come in.

·
Registered
963 Posts
the more spread out the great fighters are the less great fights we get to see, sure it means a shithead like dana gets rich while everyone else goes out of business but im willing to live with that

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
I enjoy all of MMA, its fun watching different fighters of different calibres that you may not see in the UFC. its good for MMA fans in general. Unless you're the UFC or a shareholder i dont see why you would argue against this. it doesnt cut into your UFC time, does it? I do see UFC as being the topdog for the forseeable future which is fine they have the best product.

Its only fair to point out that UFC is a promotion and a brand not built around any specific fighter so they get to determine how much of THEIR revenue is spent on what and who. Boxers are usually the promoters and the main attraction of their event. which is why you have that huge disparity. I do think with time fighters will have some sort of union setup to help negotiate better deals.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
It isn't Dana's fault that the people running other companies are stupid and try to hot shot their way into th big time instead of having natural growth as a business.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Professional boxers can be paid millions of dollars per title fight. Mike Tyson historically had the biggest payday at close to 50 million per single title bout. On the opposite end of the spectrum, MMA fighters are being paid 6 figures, 7 maybe(just barely), even though the sport of MMA has grown expoentially in recent times.

I doubt any champion in any weight class is paid more than $1,000,000 per title fight.

Dana White makes the rules, he makes the fights and everyone who fights in the UFC is contractually obligated to adhere to the conditions and terms he sets.

In short, he has virtually full control over the entire sport.

There's strikeforce and other, smaller promotions. But, none of them can compete to the UFC in terms of having either the credibility or prestige UFC does.

My humble question to you. If professional boxers are able to make millions of dollars per title fight, why can't MMA or UFC fighters do the same? And, if professional boxers are able to choose who they want to fight and decline fights if they wish, why can't UFC fighters do likewise?

MMA cards are more stacked then boxing, would you pay $50 for say Rampage/Evans with an undercard of people you have never heard of? The wealth is more spread out among fighters. Also the UFC does not do the numbers boxing does contrary to the hype, even in North America boxing still does better, globally its not even close. There is also the issue that mma does not receive the same media attention forcing them to spend considerably more than boxing on advertising. The UFC also spends a fortune on trying to expand mma as a sport by helping push for legislation in states and provinces where mma is not legalized (this benefits other promotions as well). Lastly you have major issue that everyone seem to forget when discussing boxing pay days vs mma fighter. Many boxers run there own promotional companies. That means Roy Jones isn't just Chuck Liddell he is Chuck Liddell, Dana and the Fertitta's rapped into one. When you consider that as well as the other points paydays suddenly make a lot more sense don't they?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Many boxers run there own promotional companies. That means Roy Jones isn't just Chuck Liddell he is Chuck Liddell, Dana and the Fertitta's rapped into one. When you consider that as well as the other points paydays suddenly make a lot more sense don't they?
Which is how it must be if MMA is every going progress to higher grounds, which is what Fedor wants to do with M-1 and I respect him for making his stand on this one, Dana may win a few more battle but he will one day loose the war, MMA will out grow him, more fighters need to follow Fedors example, with the aid of promotions like SF they can.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Yeah and I personally like this set up better. Yeah it takes some decisions out of the fighters but I think that is a good thing sometimes. Look at Mayweather and Pacman now. What if MMA was like that and it took ages for a Machida/Shogun fight? or someone like Tito holds the belt and never gives any true contender a shot? That happens all the time in boxing and I think I look at UFC as more of a league like NBA or NFL that makes all the best competition happen. It also makes it so that there is really only one credited belt and league unlike boxing where I really could not tell you how many title holders there are of a single weight class. Let alone all of them.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Honestly I am ok with what is happening with MMA right now. You have the UFC which is the premier company. The one most people strive to make it to, but you also have WEC,Strikeforce,Dream,and Sengoku who people are also thrilled to fight for. Even after those tier two promotions you have places like Bellator and KOTC. Everyone has a place to fight, and if they are good enough they will advance. If they are not good enough to be in the UFC they have the other orginizations to fall back on. All in all, the UFC is the best place to be, but I am glad there are other places, because honestly not everyone is made for the UFC.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Dana has his faults, but for the most part I feel that he does a good job of running the UFC. If it wasn't for him and the Fertittas MMA would be illegal in half of the country and we wouldn't have free shows on Spike and Versus. And the top MMA fighters don't make as much as the top boxers, but the lower level guys are way better off.

You can look at how Fedor and M-1 are screwing over Strikeforce if you want to see what MMA would be like if the fighters had all the power. Strikeforce in general is a great example of why the guys running the promotion need to be in control. Their HW champ is defending the belt against a guy coming off a loss because the #1 contender is "renegotiating his contract" and their MW champ might bolt for the UFC because there's no champions clause in his contract.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Top UFC fighters are only making millions? What the **** man that's definitely some bullshit. I hope they have enough for groceries :(

And don't even get me started on how bad it sucks to have all the best fighters in one org to fight each other...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
oh sweet. I was just about to ask when someone was going to make another thread bashing Dana White... the person who is responsible for making MMA what it is today.... eesh. :sarcastic12:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I just wish there was another org on equal standing, because
The story is always the same: the top UFC stars get paid for pennies on every dollar the UFC makes. Randy's bitched about it, Sylvia, Tito, you name it. Now it's BJ's turn.
- this is what monopolies do.

But me may not have as many great matchups...

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
DW doesn't have a monopoly on MMA. Not even close.

What they have is the premiere fighters which is the way it should be (nobody wants good fighters to be spread out over a bunch of organizations and never fighting each other).

There is still plenty of room for smaller organizations to put on good shows. The problem is too many times those organizations try to compete head first with the UFC which isn't possible because there aren't enough top level fighters in the world. If say Strikeforce did get larger and pull some more good fighters out of the UFC then the UFC isn't going to be able to put on as many good shows and would have to cut back on their international expansion which is currently a huge step forward for MMA.

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts
I have no problem with the having one top-level league for mixed martial arts. I'd much rather see UFC follow a model closer to the NFL's model than that of boxing's umpteen promotions. But if the sport does go that way, there should eventually be some sort of fighters association.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yeah and I personally like this set up better. Yeah it takes some decisions out of the fighters but I think that is a good thing sometimes. Look at Mayweather and Pacman now. What if MMA was like that and it took ages for a Machida/Shogun fight? or someone like Tito holds the belt and never gives any true contender a shot? That happens all the time in boxing and I think I look at UFC as more of a league like NBA or NFL that makes all the best competition happen. It also makes it so that there is really only one credited belt and league unlike boxing where I really could not tell you how many title holders there are of a single weight class. Let alone all of them.
Summed everything up right here. Good shit.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts