Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Shane Carwin set to battle heavyweight champion, Brock Lesnar, at UFC 116, MMA fans have wondered what perennial contenders Cain Velasquez and Junior “Cigano” Dos Santos will do next. Many figured the two would square off in a number one contender match. In fact, Dos Santos even requested a bout with Velasquez, but was quickly turned down by the UFC. There have been rumors that Roy Nelson could be the next opponent for the Black House fighter; however, Nelson has also been linked to several upcoming bouts. Meanwhile, Velasquez has opted to bide his time and wait for his title shot.

As of now, Dos Santos does not have an official MMA fight on the horizon. While he waits, the 25-year-old rising star will test his skills in the boxing ring. Originally planning to crossover earlier in 2010, Dos Santos had to put that project on the back burner in order to prepare for his bouts with Gabriel Gonzaga and Gilbert Yvel.

Carlos Dorea, Dos Santos’s boxing coach, has high hopes for “Cigano”:

“The first step would [have been] the Brazilian championship after he beat Cro Cop. He was the super heavy holder of the Bahia’s team, but UFC scheduled his fight with Gilbert Yvel, so I had to take him off the team. His evolving is fantastic, he has one of the best boxing techniques of international MMA. If everything goes right, he will compete on this area and, who knows, in the future he can bring a few medals to Brazil… He is a phenomenon.”

The UFC has not released an official statement. Perhaps the fact that Dos Santos would be competing at an amateur level has kept the Zuffa brass at bay. Previous attempts by other fighters to try professional boxing have been swiftly denied by the organization.

A date for Dos Santos’s boxing debut has not be set.

http://mmahits.com/organizations/ufc/junior-dos-santos-plans-to-test-himself-in-the-sweet-science/

Interesting I was wondering why Cain and Junior haven't been set to fight cuz they both stand relatively at the same position.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Toney can box if he wants to.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Will Dana let him box?

If JDS can box, why can't Silva?
The UFC has not released an official statement. Perhaps the fact that Dos Santos would be competing at an amateur level has kept the Zuffa brass at bay. Previous attempts by other fighters to try professional boxing have been swiftly denied by the organization.
Bold and underline

·
Registered
643 Posts
This is too bad. We'd get to see where JDS is when he's on his back. Both guys are on a tear and have surging confidence and drive, and that's a good mixture for a solid fight.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
I think it depends on the terms the fighters signed up on originally, but generally they should be allowed to do whatever aslong as they don't schedule other fights during UFC fights. jmo/

Well Anderson i heard Resigned his Contract no?

But im sure nothing has changed when it comes to boxing for him.

ANd yeah Dana said in a Interview, that he didn't want to put two future title fighters against each other.... Like if Cain beats Brock then JDS will come in, and he said something like he likes having them on the back burner incase of a injury....

Which i cant completely blame Dana because of all these freaky injures that are happening...

And what if Shane gets injured and he has Cain ready to fight JDS?

I still think they should fight ether way, but business wise, Dana IS playing it smart.....

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts
I understand where both parts are coming from here. JDS wants Cains spot as #1 contender, while Dana will try to hype up both guys for as long as possible. They are both maassive talents, and when they eventually meet down the line it will be big. The reason the heavyweight picture is so great right now is because theres a lot of guys that have momentum, and Dana is doing the right thing by not letting JDS and Cain face off yet. Don't worry, this fight will happen someday guaranteed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a feeling that they will give Dos Santos the loser of the Lesnar/Carwin fight.

They just don't want Cain and Dos Santos to fight now because when one loses they will lose all the momentum going to the top.

It's the same with Jon Jones vs. Ryan Bader. They would lose that momentum for top rising stars.

I also agree with the post above about a "backup replacement if an injury occurs."

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I think the UFC wants both guys to fight for the title with Cain getting the winner of Brock/Carwin and then JDS getting the winner of that. In the meantime, letting JDS have an amatuer boxing fight or 2 keeps him busy or they could give him a guy like Roy Nelson who he should beat.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
i like Juniors attitude for sure.

he wants to fight the best and the quickest way to the title.

i dont think Ed Soares would even want a Cain fight for JDS right now. not that its unwinnable but there are much easier paths to the title and probably easier $ on the way.

i know Dana doesnt wanna ruin this future Fedor vs Cro Cop type legendary HW matchup for the ages.

and i dont blame him.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can see why the UFC doesn't want to match these two up, but I hope this doesn't become a trend. I like MMA because fights that make sense usually get made. Keeping two contenders away from each other so neither loses his hype is too much like boxing for me.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I can see why the UFC doesn't want to match these two up, but I hope this doesn't become a trend. I like MMA because fights that make sense usually get made. Keeping two contenders away from each other so neither loses his hype is too much like boxing for me.
I think Dana feels they are two "rising" stars, but not yet full-on stars. Once you've reached Big Nog, Couture respect status or even Frank Mir, one or two losses won't completely derail your clout (BJ is the best example of keeping his rep even when he loses). I don't think Dana feels JDS or Cain have quite attained that level of respect & noterioty by the masses yet. A Cain/JDS could bring double the interest in a year or so then it would now. "The Masses" probably only see and are blinded by the current shine of Lesnar, Carwin and to a lesser, but only recently lesser degree, Mir, and are less inclined about the real talents of JDS & Cain. I think Dana knows Cain/JDS has Mir/Lesnar at UFC 100 potential, but not yet, so he's making an investment call to prolong the eventual encounter. I think it's a good call in the long run, but I want to see Cain/JDS as bad as anyone else, short of Alizio.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.