Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: the light heavyweight grand prix was thrown out the window, leaving this as the DREAM 14 fight card:

* Imani Lee vs. Ikuhisa Minowa*
* Federico "Kiko" Lopez vs. Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto
* Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Ralek Gracie
* Yoshiro Maeda vs. Kenji Osawa
* Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz vs. Hayato Sakurai (non-title fight)
* Joachim Hansen vs. Hiroyuki Takaya
* Akiyo "Wicky" Nishiura vs. Hideo Tokoro
* Kazuyuki Miyata vs. Takafumi Otsuka

·
Banned
820 Posts
I love these DREAM cards. It is always so much fun staying up all night to watch them live.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Bummer about the grand prix getting called off, whatever they meant by it wouldn't sell is weird, but their will still be some decent fights.
Yeah, they really need to focus on building up their roster and shit and stop doing the GP's. The Grand Prix's should be happening every once and awhile. They could do a sweet featherweight Gp again or maybe another open-weight one. Those are the only ones I think they should put time in.

DREAM/FEG needs to up their shit, one look at this Light-heavyweight Gp and I knew it was a disaster. They really **** up everything - FEG needs to get kicked in the ass.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well, here is the poster

In other DREAM news, the event producer of the promotion, Keiichi Sasahara, was recently interviewed by Daniel of MMAFighting. You can read the two part interview by clicking here and then here.

From the first part we learn that, at the point in time of the interview, the Light Heavyweight GP even happening is not set in stone yet, Shinya Aoki will not fight at DREAM.14, Tatsuya Kawajiri and Katsunori Kikuno might fight at DREAM.14 (not against each other), Norifumi “KID” Yamamoto will fight at DREAM.14, and Marius Zaromskis might fight at DREAM.15.

The second part includes a lot of cage/ring talk, some sponsor talk, and a secret that Sasahara is currently working on.
Dream 14 is looking great, can't wait.

The Ring/Cage talk is usually stupid so I avoid it at all talk. The way I see it, MMA is MMA, no matter where it takes place.

Sasahara has a secret? lol, usually its like Dana Whites "Big announcement" and we get nothing. He NEEDS to work on the sponser stuff quick!

·
Registered
208 Posts
How are we able to watch this live? Anyone know what time this will be on over here in Eastern timezone?
They are usually on the internet, I haven't missed one in three years. Just go to justin tv or download sopcast and you will be fine. As far as eastern time for their events, usually they run at 3am est time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Two more fights announced today at Sakurabas GYM:

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Ralek Gracie
Yoshiro Maeda vs. Kenji Osawa

Man, Saku is one of my favorite fighters, hope he can make it out of this fight a winner. It will be hard, his knees are jelly these days, and Relek is an good grappler. still, Saku is a magic man and seems to pull fights out of his ass because he still retains some of his former glory.

The Maeda vs. Osawa fight should be good. Both fighters have fought under the WEC lights, and Maeda will push the fight.

http://nightmareofbattle.com/?p=1886

---------------

Here is a Miyata Interview I found on the web:

----- You will be fighting Takafumi Otsuka at DREAM.14 on 5.29. Since you moved down to FW last year, you've won three fights in row and doing well. How do you feel about it?
Miyata: Everything is going as planned. I was confident that this was a good move for me. I used to wrestle at 63kg so cutting weight wasn't a concern for me.

----- What's you impression of your opponent, Otsuka?
Miyata: He's a fighter that brings a lot of energy. I think he's one of the top fighters in the weight division. I'm not sure if he recognizes it himself, but I think he's better than a lot of people may think. In terms of ability, he is definitely one of the best out there.

----- At the fight announcement, Sasahara EP said that you and Otsuka are similar types of fighters. What do you think about that?
Miyata: He probably said that after seeing my last fight (against DJ taiki). When you go out there to win the fight, I guess that's how it can end up, both for me and for Otsuka. I had a muscle tear in my thigh in my last fight and it ended up affecting the fight, but I've always been a fighter that goes for submissions so I don't agree with him. Right now, everyone's talking about "America" or the "cage" so in terms of having a style that would translate well anywhere, I guess we are similar. I don't think you can do anything these days if your wrestling is weak. So I feel that me and Otsuka are fighters in this weight division who can compete globally.

----- Otsuka lost by decision to Bibiano Fernandes at DREAM.7 and then went on to beat Mishima at DEEP43 and Yamazaki at DEEP46. Have you been following Otsuka's fights from the past year?
Miyata: I didn't see his fight against Yamazaki-kun, but I saw him fight Mishima-san live. When he fought Bibiano, I didn't know who Otsuka was, so I wasn't really paying much attention.

----- Have you gone over his fights since your fight with him was finalized?
Miyata: I've wanted to but I don't know how to watch them on YouTube (laughter). I'm a low-tech guy and I don't know how to use a PC. That's why I go to see the fights live (laughter).

---- Is that so (laughter).
Miyata: That's why my memory is vague (laughter). I just remember things like who won. Even nowadays, I still need someone to record something for me. I need a PC-savvy person by my side (laughter).

----- Can you tell me about the Mishima fight then?
Miyata: I always thought that I would fight Mishima-san sometime, so I was there to watch him actually. But then Otsuka was winning the whole time, so I was really surprised. I dropped to FW thinking that I could win any fight, and up until that fight I thought that Mishima-san was the only guy that would be a tough fight. Mishima-san was the DEEP champion at the time and would be an obstacle for me to get to the top, but then Otsuka goes out and beats him quite handily. It surprised me. Since then I've gained respect for Otsuka as a good fighter.

----- Otsuka mentioned at the press conference that you want this fight to be a physical fight. How would you rate his physicality?
Miyata: I wasn't aware of his background until now, but he wrestled at Nittaidai, right? Nittaidai wrestling is no joke, so I'm sure he is very physical if he wrestled there.

----- But you don't plan on getting losing in terms of physicality, do you?
Miyata: Of course not. If I get out-physicaled, it's not looking good for me. In continuing to fight in this weight class, that's my backbone. I moved to FW to overwhelm my opponents with physicality. So if I'm not able to do that, it's game over. When I fought at LW, I think I was too light and I would get worn out midway in the fight. But now, I don't think that will happen. I can out-physical my opponents, and therefore my endurance will be good too.

----- What are the things you need to be cautious of in fighting Otsuka?
Miyata: Well...I try not to worry about my opponent. I'm confident that I can fight anywhere, so I put importance on how I can dictate the fight and do what I do.

----- Have you ever met Otsuka?
Miyata: Yes, once.

----- What kind of character is he?
Miyata: Of course we were polite to each other (honorific talk), but I'm sure he addresses me differently (without an honorific). (laughter) But I don't think puts on a facade.

----- You belonged to the judo club in junior high, and then went on to wrestle in high school, college, and thereafter. I assume you were in an environment where manners are strictly adhered to.
Miyata: That's true.

----- What's your take of Otsuka's character, seeing the you grew up in such a environment?
Miyata: How old is he?

----- 23 years old.
Miyata: 23 huh. I was at the Sydney Olympics when I was 23. I was kinda like him at that age and I got beatings for it (laughter).

----- Hahaha!
Miyata: So I can't judge others (laughter).

----- How do you feel about sudden decision to fight in a cage?
Miyata: Either way is OK for me, frankly. People always say that the cage is better suited for a wrestler, but I don't favor the cage. Does it really matter that much? For a submission fighter that likes fighting off his back, it's unwise to get pinned against the cage. An example is Aoki-kun's fight the other week. But I'm not a fighter that fights off his back, so it doesn't matter much to me. But I think fighting in cage is cool.

----- You mean in terms of visuals (laughter).
Miyata: Yes (laughter).

----- So you're not really doing anything special to prepare for the cage?
Miyata: Not really.

----- In your MMA debut, didn't you fight Royler Gracie in a cage (Nov 2004 Rumble on the Rock 6)?
Miyata: Oh yeah, that's right. It was a cage. But at that time, I only trained MMA for 2-3 months. That training camp was about me trying to incoporate my judo into MMA, and judo into jiu-jitsu. Before that I was all about wreslting. I was basically an amateur then, so that doesn't work as a reference point.

----- Sasahara EP said that he wants to have DREAM.14 in a cage and wants everyone to voice their opinion on whether DREAM should continue in a cage or ring, and if they should change some rules to help map out DREAM's future. What is your opinion?
Miyata: Hmm. I don't mind either way. If fans want to move the unified rules, then we should switch to the cage. If they say they don't like the cage, then let's use the ring. Or we can use both equally. I personally don't have an opinion on which is better. Also, with the rules, I could go either way with elbows. I'm used to stomps in DEEP, so I can work with them. I'm confident that I can adjust to any rules, so really, I don't care at all. At the end of the day, it should be about what the fans want. Fighters would not exist without the fans. Cage or ring, whatever the rules, it's a professional fighter's job to adapt to the rules. After all is said and done, the best fighters will win out.

----- One magazine had a headline that said "Japan is the weakest". What's your take on the status of MMA in Japan?
Miyata: I don't think I'm in a position to speak on that yet. I need to win a few more fights and become one of the top featherwights before I comment on that. But I have confidence. I don't think I'm second to anyone in the world.

----- What can we expect from you in the fight against Otsuka?
Miyata: Not only is it a fight pitting two Japanese fighters, but it feels like a fight for survival. It's not just about doing everything to win, but more about looking at the big picture. We need to liven up the MMA world. I need to avoid any injuries going into the fight, seeing that it affected me last time out. So this time, I look forward to fighting without any injuries and giving it my all.

----- What's next after this?
Miyata: I'm sure all my opponents will be tough here on. I want to take one fight at time. I've never had a belt so I want one, but that's still far ahead. One step at time.

----- Your final words of enthusiasm please.
Miyata: Not just in regard to the Otsuka fight, I feel that I can work my way to the top of the featherweight division. I just need to go out there and get it done.
- courtesy of Flyinpig

Miyata is one of the best wrestlers in mma, I don't know what otsuka will be able to do against him.

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not where it used to be but card definitely getting better:

The Japanese-based DREAM promotion today added two bouts to its May 29 DREAM.14 card, which takes place at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

The organization announced "The Gracie Hunter," MMA superstar Kazushi Sakuraba (26-11-1 MMA, 3-2 DREAM), looks to go 5-0 against MMA's famous family when he meets Ralek Gracie (2-0 MMA, 1-0 DREAM) in a 195-pound catchweight bout.

Additionally, a pair of WEC veterans meet in a featherweight matchup with Kenji Osawa (15-9-2 MMA, 0-0 DREAM) taking on Yoshiro Maeda (26-8-2 MMA, 2-2 DREAM).

Sakuraba, an early UFC fighter who had a long and memorable career with PRIDE Fighting Championships, looks to add to the Gracie win column. He's already defeated the likes of Ryan (PRIDE 12), Renzo (PRIDE 10), Royce (PRIDE Grand Prix 2000 Finals) and Royler (PRIDE 8). He had dropped a unanimous decision to Royce in a rematch at a HERO'S/FEG and EliteXC "Dynamite!! USA" event in Los Angeles, but the fight was changed to a no-contest when Royce failed a post-fight drug test due to an anabolic steroid.

The 40-year-old Sakuraba enters this latest bout on a 4-2 run that includes recent submission wins over boxer Rubin Williams and Zelg Galesic.

The 24-year-old Ralek Gracie, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt who is the son of Rorion and nephew of Royce, made his pro debut in 2007 and submitted Katsuyori Shibata. A year later, at DREAM.4 in mid-2008, he submitted Alavutdin Gadzhiyev. His bout with Sakuraba will be his first in nearly two years.

In featherweight action, Osawa makes his DREAM debut after a 1-2-1 run in World Extreme Cagefighting. Mixed in with the WEC fights, which included a spit-decision win over Rafael Rebello and decision losses to contenders Scott Jorgensen and Antonio Banuelos, was a GCM win over Tomoya Miyashita in Japan.

The 33-year-old Shooto vet now meets Maeda, who went 1-2 in the WEC in 2008. He joined DREAM after the Zuffa stint and suffered a TKO loss to Hiroyuki Takaya. However, he's since since won two of three fights, which included a submission victory over former WEC champ Chase Beebe at DREAM.12. But in his most recent bout, the 28-year-old suffered a brutal head-kick KO loss to Cole Escovedo at DREAM.13 in March.

The latest DREAM.14 card now includes:

* Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. TBA
* Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto vs. TBA
* Katsunori Kikuno vs. TBA
Link

·
attention whore
14,445 Posts
I really like Miyata at 145. He's even more powerful at that weight, and look good against DJ Taiki Hata (Who is really underrated).

I think he'll beat otsuka by decision. Take him down with ease and keep him there.

Saku vs Gracie is one fight I do not care about. I love Saku. One of my all time favorites, but yeesh, just stop fighting. Stop making us hardcore Saku fans worry all the time.

Osawa is durable, but Maeda should beat him. Better striker and Maeda's ground game has always been underrated. Nice to see Yoshiro back.

Poor Sakurai. This fight is about 3 years too late.

Someone might die in Hansen vs Takaya.

Wicky vs Tokoro should be fun, fun, fun. Has the makings for FOTN.

I want Kawajiri vs Hironaka and Kikuno vs Nakamura.

Also, Kid should face Micah Miller. I want to see a midget fight a man on stilts. This is close enough.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I really like Miyata at 145. He's even more powerful at that weight, and look good against DJ Taiki Hata (Who is really underrated).

I think he'll beat otsuka by decision. Take him down with ease and keep him there.

Saku vs Gracie is one fight I do not care about. I love Saku. One of my all time favorites, but yeesh, just stop fighting. Stop making us hardcore Saku fans worry all the time.

Osawa is durable, but Maeda should beat him. Better striker and Maeda's ground game has always been underrated. Nice to see Yoshiro back.

Poor Sakurai. This fight is about 3 years too late.

Someone might die in Hansen vs Takaya.

Wicky vs Tokoro should be fun, fun, fun. Has the makings for FOTN.

I want Kawajiri vs Hironaka and Kikuno vs Nakamura.

Also, Kid should face Micah Miller. I want to see a midget fight a man on stilts. This is close enough.
Miyata vs. Hansen rematch if he gets past Otsuka.

·
Earthquake Survivor
1,936 Posts
* Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. TBA
* Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto vs. TBA
* Katsunori Kikuno vs. TBA

AWESOME CARD?

Gracie Hunter back at it?

Diaz vs Sakurai should be fun.
Hansen vs Takaya, wow!
Kid, Kikuno, Kawajiri, Tokoro?

I'm definately going to be hunting for this card.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Would be decent, and I think Miyata could win that fight, though I wouldn't want him to.
It would be a tough fight to call, but I would be betting on Jaochim to win it. Hes better off his back, better on his feet as well. If he could get pass the awesome wrestling skills of Miyata he could take over. Joachim via RNC!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts