Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Eddie Bravo, the jiu-jitsu expert and long-standing, behind-the-scenes production analyst for UFC shows, has quit the organisation on the eve of the heavyweight title showdown between champion Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin.

Bravo, who runs 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu from the Legends MMA gym in Los Angeles, and who has worked as a mainstay Octagonside with colour commentators Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg for many years, is understood by the Telegraph to have walked out on his Octaginside role with the world’s leading mixed martial arts organisation after a disagreement over his desire to corner for lightweight fighter George Sotiropoulos, of Australia. The dual role will have been seen as a conflict of interest.

Sotiropoulos is due to fight Kurt Pellegrino at UFC 116 in Las Vegas on Saturday night. It is believed it was felt there was a conflict of interest in the dual roles. Sotiropoulos is on his way to being a title contender in the 155lb division and could be raised to a challenger after Saturday night should he win, and continue his unbeaten five-fight winning streak in the UFC since December 2007.

Bravo holds a black belt under Jean-Jacques Machado. He is most famous for his win as a brown belt against Royler Gracie by triangle choke in the 2003 Abu Dhabi Submission Wrestling championships and his unique style of no-gi Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

The departure of the influential instructor, UFC analyst and character will be a shock to MMA fans around the world.
Source: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/...xclusive-eddie-bravo-quits-ufc-on-eve-of-116/

Originally posted by Kasporelli, but the thread was closed because nobody bothered to check if it was true.

Step 1: Open Google.
Step 2: Type: Telegraph Eddie Bravo Quits UFC.
Step 3: Source confirmed.

Would have taken all of 2 minutes on a slow ass machine like mine.

EDIT: Any pos reps for the story should go to Kasporelli

·
Registered
468 Posts
I didn't even know Eddie was still working with the UFC. I can't remember the last time I saw him doing his unofficial scorecards in between rounds. The UFC pulling the "conflict of interests" card is a load of bullshit though IMO. They were just looking for an excuse to get him off the payroll.

·
Takedown, Dominate & Destroy
2,060 Posts
Sucks to hear this because Eddie really helped with all of their replays and what not. Ohwell it's hardly the end of the world but it still sucks a bit.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I didn't even know Eddie was still working with the UFC. I can't remember the last time I saw him doing his unofficial scorecards in between rounds. The UFC pulling the "conflict of interests" card is a load of bullshit though IMO. They were just looking for an excuse to get him off the payroll.
Or, having the guy who's supposed to be finding submission setups for the production team cornering fighters instead creates an issue, one that is resolved by having that guy choose which one he would like to do.

·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant really see a confliction of interests here. The job he had with the UFC is completely unrelated. I mean, if he's cornering a guy he's not going to be advising the editorial staff in the same fight, so whats the problem? And even if he was, it has no bearing on the outcome of the fight whatsoever.

I really cant see it. . . maybe i'm missing something? :confused02:

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I cant really see a confliction of interests here. The job he had with the UFC is completely unrelated. I mean, if he's cornering a guy he's not going to be advising the editorial staff in the same fight, so whats the problem? And even if he was, it has no bearing on the outcome of the fight whatsoever.

I really cant see it. . . maybe i'm missing something? :confused02:
I think the conflict is in the fact that he literally can't do both at the same time, not that cornering would affect his judgment or technical ability in analysis.

·
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the conflict is in the fact that he literally can't do both at the same time, not that cornering would affect his judgment or technical ability in analysis.
Man, thats harsh to lose your job over that. You'd have thought they'd just pencil someone in for the times Eddie couldnt do it.

I'd like to know the ins and outs of it all, whether Eddie left off his own back, or whether he was pressured into it.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Gareth A Davies of the Telegraph was the first to report that Bravo has left his longtime gig as a grappling behind-the-scenes production analyst for the UFC and Bravo's close friend and UFC commentator Joe Rogan has since confirmed the departure.

According to Rogan's messages on the MixedMartialArts.com forum, Bravo left on amicable terms and his reasons were to focus on his own 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu business, spending more time teaching seminars around the world and cornering fighters.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/07/01/eddie-bravo-leaves-ufc-analyst-gig/

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Eddies days were numbered after he said "Congratulations Chuck" to Randy in the ring after Randy beat him. Last post fight interview he did i believe...

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Eddies days were numbered after he said "Congratulations Chuck" to Randy in the ring after Randy beat him. Last post fight interview he did i believe...
So...his days numbered in the thousands?

·
The Reverend
1,889 Posts
oh... you folks can make a guy feel good.... sure i dont dont post or lurk much anymore... but you guys are the most sane....

i saw this on another forum (not sherdog... thats too easy) that was blasting Dana and the UFC blaming them for this that they MADE eddie quit.... i woulda tore them a new one (few of you know id have no fear doing it), but their sihtty registration cant seem to find my email, so i cant post... so ill give my lil rant here of sorts.

the athletic commission probably looked at his working for the same promotion as a conflict of interest, we should all know by now, that corner men need to obtain a cornerman's license. Look back to when Nick Diaz wasn't allowed to corner his brother Nate, and in his post fight interview made comments of it but it wasn't the ufc it was the commission.....

im guessing this is what transpired, and eddie thought cornering his fighters was more important then being a behind the scenes guy. cant blame him, and i think hes done alot for the sport in total.

G'luck to ya Eddie!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Eddie and the UFC have now reached a compromise, where he'll be given the night off when he corners fighters. Apparently the UFC weren't happy with the quality of the replays after Eddie left. It's good to see common sense prevail. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.