Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Got Fight?
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newly minted UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar has one week off to savor his belt, and then it's back to work. There's a target on his back, after all.

Not more than two days after Edgar (12-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) bested B.J. Penn (15-6 MMA, 11-5 UFC) on points this past Saturday at UFC 112, Penn said an immediate rematch is in the works and could take place within three to four months.

Gray Maynard (9-0 MMA, 7-0 UFC) also wants the first shot at the new champion.

Edgar is not one to make a scene about who's next. But if he has to pick one, it's Maynard.

"You'd have to say so," the 28-year-old Edgar told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today. "He has a win over me."

That fight took place in April 2008 in suburban Denver. Maynard outwrestled Edgar in the mile-high meeting and took home a decision with unanimous 30-27 scores.

Penn, meanwhile, fell short on all three scorecards with 50-45, 48-47 and 49-46 scores at this past weekend's UFC 112 event. It's that 50-45 score that's been eating at many fans, not to mention the former champion.

"It doesn't surprise me," Edgar said of Penn's wish for a second go-around. "He's a very competitive person. He feels he's the best fighter, so I'm sure he wants to prove that."

Edgar didn't much stop to think about the scores this past Saturday at Concert Arena in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. He dropped to his knees at the announcement and fought back tears. Backstage afterward, he reconnected with his wife and parents, who had been to many a wrestling meet and seen him lose on the mat.

When he returned to Toms River, N.J., on Sunday night, approximately 150 friends and fans met him at the airport. A phalanx of firetrucks, ambulances and police cars drove him around the city, which was the next best thing to a parade.

That's a much nicer thing on which to focus.

"Do I think I won every round? It wasn't like I definitely won every round," Edgar said. "I guess if my team or my mom was looking at it, she might have thought I won every round. But it was close. I still feel I won the majority of the rounds."

Edgar does admit his work is cut out for him in the 155-pound division. In addition to the myriad of challengers who wait in the wings, he sees room for improvement in his frenetic style of boxing, wrestling and jiu jitsu. But he doesn't see his size as an issue, which many pundits suggest.

He may have unintentionally spotlighted the issue when UFC president Dana White could not fit the lightweight belt around his waist at the announcement of his victory.

"I've definitely been getting a lot of flack – a lot of people saying I should be fighting at 145 (pounds) since Day One," Edgar said. "It's easy to see I am the smaller of the two guys when I fight.

"But as long as I'm getting the job done, I don't see any problem with it."

And ultimately, the belt is sitting in his living room.

As of Tuesday morning, neither he nor his manager have been contacted about rematch with Penn, and Edgar said he'll wait to hear from the UFC before giving it too much thought.

In the meantime, he's spending time with his 1-year-old son, Francesco.

Those wrestling upsets don't seem so important now.

"It's finally nice to say I reached the pinnacle of what I've been pursuing," Edgar said.
Link to the article here

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I think he should fight Maynard next. Grey is long overdue for a title shot, and with a win over Edgar it makes for that much of a better fight. BJ should have to win at least one fight to get another title shot.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I dont really see how anybody can argue that Maynard doesnt deserve a title shot right now. He's on a winning streak and has handed the champion his only loss. I say give him a shot and let BJ have a #1 contenders fight against somebody like Florian.

·
M.I.A
2,550 Posts
I dunno about that ^, I feel Bj and kenny are both better than maynard, so it should be between those two one way another. I think Kenny should just get the shot, then Bj vs maynard maybe.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Beyond BJ, Kenny deserves the first crack, hands down. He's been destroying anyone not named Penn. It's not even close.

Sure, Maynard beat Edgar a while back and he got beat up...errr..."beat" Diaz. Sorry, the resumé does not touch Kenny's.

Florian vs. Edgar, no brainer.

Maynard vs. Penn, the winner fights the champion.

·
Got Fight?
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im still saying that BJ gets a rematch and we see Maynard/KenFlo for the winner of Penn/Edgar II.

Maynard said even before the KenFlo/Gomi fight that he wanted the winner.

·
M.I.A
2,550 Posts
offtopic, I hope Frankie gets a reality show beating up the orange fist pumpers.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I dunno about that ^, I feel Bj and kenny are both better than maynard, so it should be between those two one way another. I think Kenny should just get the shot, then Bj vs maynard maybe.
I <3 Kenny just as much as everyone else, but no way does he deserve the next shot. He had his shot recently and got out striked, outwrestled and outgrappled in that fight before he got finished. That fight left no questions about who the best fighter in the ring was and even though he clocked couple nice wins since that its not his time yet.

Lets see Florian vs. Sherk II or Florian vs. Sanchez II - 2 losses Florian SURELY wants to avenge. In the meantime Maynard gets his long waited title shot against a guy he has already beaten (makes sense) and Penn can either take another run at WW belt or fight someone like Gomi or Tyson.

·
M.I.A
2,550 Posts
You really think Maynard has faced the same guys Kenny has? Kenny is ahead of Maynard no questions asked imo. He lost to penn, but so would maynard, Edgar is a different champ.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
You really think Maynard has faced the same guys Kenny has? Kenny is ahead of Maynard no questions asked imo. He lost to penn, but so would maynard, Edgar is a different champ.
Deserving of title shots has nothing to do with actual LW rankings. We would have GSP fighting no-one but Fitch at WW if it worked like that.

Fact is Florian had his shot pretty recently and failed pretty hard at it. Yes he'd prolly beat Maynard and yes he has fought pretty tough competion, but right now he has win streak of 2 while Maynard is undefeated with a 7 win streak in ufc and holds a win against the current champion. It really makes more sense.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The next title shot should go to either BJ Penn since the Edgar fight could of gone either way. Or it should go to Maynard.

KenFlo has been shitting on people yeah, but he has already had 2 title shots, and got dominated in them both. Give him one more fight vs another contender.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Florian vs. Edgar, no brainer.

Maynard vs. Penn, the winner fights the champion.
If it will be like that. We will see KenFlo vs Penn II

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Maynard doesn't deserve it, not even close.

Maynard vs Florian for title shot, Florian will whoop him easily though.
Maynard was supposed to get the next shot at Penn after he got the win over Nate Diaz. Then he came out and said that he was not ready for Penn yet. I can also see why Edgar wants Maynard. He wants to avenge his only loss. I do think that Florian is the most deserving right now though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont really see how anybody can argue that Maynard doesnt deserve a title shot right now. He's on a winning streak and has handed the champion his only loss. I say give him a shot and let BJ have a #1 contenders fight against somebody like Florian.
I say you dont give him the title shot since he 'wasnt prepared' when BJ was the champion, but now that Edgar has the belt he is begging for a shot....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts