Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's official Buddhasport.com just confirmed with a source close to Frank Edgar, and the new LW Champ will be putting his newly earned belt on the line August 28th, in Boston for UFC 118. This will mark the first UFC in Massachusetts It was a long fight, but MMA finally took home the submission victory from the state politicians.

Source

·
Registered
411 Posts
It should have been Edgar/Florian for the title and Penn/Maynard for the #1 contender. I'm a huge BJ Penn fan born, raised, and living in Hawaii and even I am a little surprised by the immediate rematch especially given that it was a unanimous non-controversial decision.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
That would have been nice. But as we all know, Dana F'in' White is not a nice man. :)

It should have been Edgar/Florian for the title and Penn/Maynard for the #1 contender. I'm a huge BJ Penn fan born, raised, and living in Hawaii and even I am a little surprised by the immediate rematch especially given that it was a unanimous non-controversial decision.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
It was a controversial decision for many people, it just wasn´t for the lamme juri (that 45-50 still makes me go crazy).
After the fight and checking the stats one can argue that penn won the bout.

Im my mind, Edgar punches were fast, but had no power in it. It´s not a "you can´t touch me" competition so it shouldn´t be judged as one.
You´re suposed to hurt your opponent and claim the victory by all its worth, wich is something i don´t recognize in points awards.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Wow, Penn's 5th unearned title shot in a row, this is getting ridiculous. Dana needs to stop favoring Penn and make him earn his ****ing shots already. Sure Randy has gotten few freebie shots too, but atleast he worked for couple of them too.

total bs...

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
Since it is in Boston they should have let Florian fight Edgar for the belt but I guess they think Bj deserves a rematch in which he does so at least Florian will fight in Boston thats what he wanted so thats good for him.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Yea, I wanted Florian or even Maynard before Penn. Florian was my top choice, but again a division gets set aside for Penn.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Yea, I wanted Florian or even Maynard before Penn. Florian was my top choice, but again a division gets set aside for Penn.
This. I'm sick of that kind of treatment. Last time he moves to WW, immediate title shot. Now he loses his belt in fairly convincing fashion, immediate rematch. Bullshit.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
I hope this won't become reality.
I just don't like the idea.
I still think Edgar should face another opponnent. Florian my no 1 pick, Maynard my 2nd pick.
For once, let BJ fight a normal fight...let him wait for his shot, like the others.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Has anyone thought of this from Edgar's standpoint where people are questioning if he deserves the belt (not saying he doesn't) and maybe he wants to prove that he is the rightful champion by beating him again.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wow, Penn's 5th unearned title shot in a row, this is getting ridiculous. Dana needs to stop favoring Penn and make him earn his ****ing shots already. Sure Randy has gotten few freebie shots too, but atleast he worked for couple of them too.

total bs...
5th unearned title shot :sarcastic12:
1st title shot: He upset Matt Hughes after 3 win streak in UFC,

2nd shot: Left UFC whooped ass in K1(only loss to Machida), came back and controversially split loss to GSP for #1 contender. GSP was injured so BJ stepped up for the a title shot.

3rd shot: BJ made a statement at LW finishing Pulver and Joe Stevens in devastating manner. (Undeserved really?)

4th shot: I can see this one as possibly undeserved shot against GSP.

5th shot: There is a split 50/50 public opinion whether BJ beat Edgar. All of a sudden top contenders want a shot at the title now that Edgar holds it and not BJ --> Maynard.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This. I'm sick of that kind of treatment. Last time he moves to WW, immediate title shot. Now he loses his belt in fairly convincing fashion, immediate rematch. Bullshit.
That fight was anything but fairly convincing.

Would everyone be up in arms if the roles were reversed? If BJ had won barely and Frankie gets an immediate rematch? I have a feeling most people feel its not justified because of their hate for BJ.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts

2nd shot: Left UFC whooped ass in K1(only loss to Machida), came back and controversially split loss to GSP for #1 contender. GSP was injured so BJ stepped up for the a title shot.

3rd shot: BJ made a statement at LW finishing Pulver and Joe Stevens in devastating manner. (Undeserved really?)

5th shot: There is a split 50/50 public opinion whether BJ beat Edgar. All of a sudden top contenders want a shot at the title now that Edgar holds it and not BJ --> Maynard.
Of course Maynard wants a shot Bj doesn't have the belt atm. The extreme opportunist.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
That fight was anything but fairly convincing.

Would everyone be up in arms if the roles were reversed? If BJ had won barely and Frankie gets an immediate rematch? I have a feeling most people feel its not justified because of their hate for BJ.
It was a UD, Frankie clearly won the last 3 rounds IMO (and a lot of other member's opinions), BJ was gassed as hell in the last two. I'd say it was fairly decisive. At least there wasn't much controversy about it ala Machida/Shogun (which DOES warrant an immediate rematch).

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Yeah right. The only deserved title shot Penn ever got he lost. After the Pulver fight:

He had a draw with Caol and a close fight with Serra. Then left the UFC. The very first fight he gets when he gets back? Title shot at a weight he's never competed at.

Ugh. Left the UFC unprovoked then fought a couple times in K1 (remember, nobody knew who Lyoto even was then). First match when he gets back? Title contendership bout. Bullshit.

Yeah. He beat an unranked Pulver (who just got wrecked 3x as bad by Lauzon) and Joe Stevenson right after he got wrecked by Hughes and beat by GSP (so 2-2 in his return). Then got the title shot. After being given a goddamn TUF show to coach.

Oh you can? :sarcastic12:

Penn got thoroughly outworked in that fight and no champion has ever gotten a rematch by looking shitty in their title defense. Shogun/Lyoto was one of the first title fights ever where the loser got an immediate rematch actually.

If you think BJ will easily decimate Maynard... why not let him fight for #1 contender?

Maynard is just a bigger version of Edgar, more power but slightly less speed perhaps. If Penn somehow gets the belt back from Frankie you can bet Maynard will be 100% willing to step up and take it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.