Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like everyone, I though the first Edgar/Penn fight was close. But like the majority of people, I definitely gave it to Edgar on the cards. I personally have come to like BJ over the past two years or so, but I can't be help but think this instant rematch belittles Frankie's awesome performance, but this is thread isn't meant to talk about that or the first fight.

I'm curious, if BJ takes Edgar this time, will Frankie be shown the same sweet treatment and be granted an instant rematch?
What do you think?

Okay, so I meant to put a poll up but I forgot to click that stupid box... man I hate that thing. Either way, Go...

·
Registered
17 Posts
If BJ wins this one, I doubt they'll have another insta-rematch. I really don't know why they had one in the first place, but this time they'll have the winner of Maynard vs. Florian to take on the winner, amirite?

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Nope, if Penn wins this then Edgars win is considered a fluke and the UFC will discredit his win in order to keep Penn's marketability up. Think GSP vs Serra.

That is why I am so annoyed by this rematch. All they are trying to do is discredit Edgar's win to keep one of thir stars in the limelight. I hope Edgar goes Shogun on Penn and knocks him f out proving he deserves the belt and that he won the first matchup.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Nope, if Penn wins this then Edgars win is considered a fluke and the UFC will discredit his win in order to keep Penn's marketability up. Think GSP vs Serra.

That is why I am so annoyed by this rematch. All they are trying to do is discredit Edgar's win to keep one of thir stars in the limelight. I hope Edgar goes Shogun on Penn and knocks him f out proving he deserves the belt and that he won the first matchup.
Exactly this.

That and BJ Penn has gotten more unwarranted title shots than anyone in UFC history.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I am a big fan of BJ, but I would have liked to see Edgar get a chance to defend his belt and see BJ eat a challenger. It would have been much better for the LW division.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am a big fan of BJ, but I would have liked to see Edgar get a chance to defend his belt and see BJ eat a challenger. It would have been much better for the LW division.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
I think it may depend on how BJ was to win the 2nd fight. If he beats him decisively like Shogun did Machida 2nd time round then I don't see Edgar getting an immediate title shot. If it turns out to be another close contest, then I think we may end up seeing a 3rd fight.

I kinda like Penn too, but I agree with 420athlon and Tra in that Penn needed at least two wins in order to compete for the gold again. Its not his fault, im sure deep down he feels the same way, but Dana clearly considers Edgar's win a fluke which, yes, I think is insulting to Edgar's performance. It was a close fight and really could have gone either way. Had they given it to Penn, I would not have been surprised tbh.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
B.J. vs Cole Miller would have been fun.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

^This^

+

Exactly this.

That and BJ Penn has gotten more unwarranted title shots than anyone in UFC history.
^This^

I am one of the most open Penn haters around here and even though I respect his skills and achievements there is no denying all the bs that has gone around with BJ and his freebie title shots. Sure he has capitalized on those shots and won most of them, but it doesn't erase the fact that his freebie shots have fucked plenty of fighters over, the one of the more recent events was the time when he took Florian and rest of the LW division as hostage when he skipped all the more deserving WW contenders on the line to fight GSP, also thanks to his slow as hell fighting chedule he managed to hold 2 divisions as hostages for over a year.

Anyway, back to topic; no, Edgar wont get instant shot unless the fight is insanely close decision win for BJ. Basically a rubber match to end the trilogy would sell way more than Penn/Edgar vs. Maynard/Florian ever would. Frankie will prove all the doubters wrong though and beat Penn up again. On first fight I was wondering why Penn didn't take the fight to the ground where he clearly had the advantage while Frankie was dominating the striking game. Im 100% sure Penn will atleast try to take Frankie down this time and Im curious to see how well he'll be able to deal with Frankie's excellent wrestling. He took Florian down pretty much when he wanted to (and finished), if he can outwrestle Frankie there is no doubt he'll sub him too.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Im a Edgar backer, I picked him to win but BJ won that fight in my eyes and if they give Rua a rematch then why not BJ when a decision is this debated.

It really all depends on how the fight goes, if BJ walks in there and destroys Edgar then I think Edgar has a long road back to a title shot.

If Edgar puts out a close loss then he's maybe three to four fights away from a rematch.

I still think he's going to be able to walk through all but the top 3 to 5 guys. Even if BJ dose beat him Im not sure anyone else will, he's the most underrated fighter in the division or he was.

·
HiiiPoWeR
17,676 Posts
Should BJ win this one, then there won't be a 3rd fight anytime soon, since Frankie's first victory was a fluke.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In my opinion, rematches should only be given to splits or disqualifications in important fights. Regardless of anyones "opinion" BJ did not do enough to unquestionably win that fight, hence Edgar's UD. BJ's demeanor after that fight told it all. What the UFC is doing to the current LW Champ is disgraceful. Goes to show that the integrity of this sport comes second to their wallets.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Brock Lesnar?
Brock's got one title shot that was unwarrented.

BJ's had the one against Hughes (1-0-1 in the UFC WW division at the time), The second against Hughes (1-1-1 in the UFC ww division at the time, coming off a loss to GSP), The shot against Joe Daddy after beating Jens (was a #1 contender fight coming off a LOSS), against GSP while being 1-2-1 in the WW division and now his instant rematch against Frankie. What is that? 5? Seriously, /facepalm, Dana, /facepalm.

Should BJ win this one, then there won't be a 3rd fight anytime soon, since Frankie's first victory was a fluke.
It was a fluke that Frankie beat the hell out of BJ for 3-4 rounds using his footwork and faster hands? Hm, 25 minute long stretch of fluke, first time I've heard that one.

·
HiiiPoWeR
17,676 Posts
It was a fluke that Frankie beat the hell out of BJ for 3-4 rounds using his footwork and faster hands? Hm, 25 minute long stretch of fluke, first time I've heard that one.
Maybe you misunderstood me, or i didn't make myself clear. I for one, don't think that Frankie's victory was a fluke, but should BJ win now, then Frankie's UD victory would be treated like a fluke. Even though BJ has reigned the LW division for a long time, it shouldn't give him an instant rematch.

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
Ah now come on! over exagerating just degrades your argument. Edgar didnt "beat the hell" out of BJ, no matter how you look at the fight. He pecked away at him for 5 rounds, never once did he sit on his punches to hurt BJ.

Edgar used Bisping-esque tactics to eek out a decision which i personally wouldnt have given him.

Then theres the argument of consisteny. People always say "to win the belt you have to decisively beat the champ" and this argument is what some people say about Shogun vs Machida 1. Edgar certainly didnt win decisively. I actually gavce the first 3 rounds to Penn.

Needless to say BJ wasnt himself in that fight, and it was evident pre-fight that for some reason he wasnt motivated.

Either way, I'm not a fan of insta-rematches, and its a shame for Edgar. But if it wasnt a fluke (which it wasnt, it was a close decision against an off-form BJ), he can do it again, right? So whats everyone throwing their knickers in the air about?

What makes me shake my head more than anything though, is the hypocrisy of all these guys who say this isnt fair, yet were calling for GSP to get an insta-rematch vs Serra. Cake and eat it, anyone?

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I still think BJ's leg was messed up going into the fight, he had it taped, he looked nervous at the start of the fight instead of confident and this is a guy who has been in with GSP, Hughes (when he was dominant) etc, BJ had no reason to look so nervous. Also BJ was completely lead footed in the fight and even gave up a couple take downs and to be honest I that is the easiest I have ever seen BJ taken down, hell GSP didn't make it look that easy. I think BJ was hurt and I think he was thinking about backing out, I think Dana reassured him he would get an immediate rematch if he lost. BTW, I also think BJ should have gotten the decision but it was razor thin so no complaints.

Reactions: coldcall420

·
The Detective
1,338 Posts
I don't think BJ is getting an instant rematch just because it was a close fight. It's more because he is one of the top p4p fighters in the world and almost everyone thinks he is better than Edgar, even though he lost that night.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
I think we can all agree that BJ was not on form that night, he didn't look himself at all, consider the BJ that got in the ring against Sanchez and the BJ we saw fight Edgar, its almost incomparable. BJ on form will beat Edgar, and probably finish him too.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I think a rematch is a good idea.

There are a lot of un-answered questions that could be resolved.

BJ recently had decisive wins over Sanchez and Florian, two of the biggest prospects / contenders. I think given the quality of opposition he has faced he has earned a rematch being close to wiping out his weight division.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts