1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/7/21/1580277/ufc-118-frankie-edgar-wants-to

Props: UFC.com

Frankie Edgar said:
"They said you were going to destroy me [at UFC 112] -- but you didn't. What are they going to say when I beat you again?"
UFC Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar wants to hear from the Doubting Thomases when he beats BJ Penn for a second time in the UFC 118 main event on Aug. 28 in Boston. "The Answer" took the division's top spot by bringing home the unanimous decision win after a close five round battle with the Hawaiian at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi. Can Edgar keep the lightweight belt at the Jersey Shore? Or will "The Prodigy" reclaim what many believe is rightfully his?

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Nice! It is good to hear some shots fired back at Penn like this. Edgar has a very valid point. Almost everyone doubted him in their first fight, and Edgar took a decision win. Yes, Penn can train harder and do better, but what is to say that Edgar wouldn't pull it off again?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm assuming Bj will approach this fight a slight diffrent than the last time they fought in Abu Dhabi. Bj should hopefully mix things up a little bit more this time around. Hopefully we will see Bj do some takedowns, with a little bit of Muay Thai, and some BJJ. Bj needs to be back at the top with the best p4p fighters in the world. WAR PENN!!

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
I'm actually thinking Edger could pull it off again.. HE DID IT ONCE!!

Bj will probably try to work the ground game this time.. but if he does stand with him, tough fight for BJ.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
lol wow, this fight is getting some hype behind it now.

Edgar wont last 3 rounds in the rematch.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
You know what they say, your job as BJ Penn's opponent is to give him reasons to not go into the gym. This is the sort of crap that gets you a swollen face and a new vagina on your forehead.

But if he does beat BJ again I will say that he is the legit LW champion, but that if he wants to shut critics up then he has to stop BJ Penn, not just win a decision with some messed up scores.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
Instead of counting either guy out, I am freaking out for this fight. I was on my toes the entire last fight and almost did a backflip when Edgar took BJ down. My heart roots for the underdog, but I don't like seeing veterans like BJ lose either. Especially a guy who has fought so little as BJ, and each loss on his record is magnified that much more.

BJ Penn is 15–6–1, with one more loss, his record starts to look a little like Randy's. I never count Randy out of a fight though, so I won't count BJ out either. If he tries to employ a ground game, he could possibly finish the fight although with Edgar I highly doubt that.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
You know what they say, your job as BJ Penn's opponent is to give him reasons to not go into the gym. This is the sort of crap that gets you a swollen face and a new vagina on your forehead.

But if he does beat BJ again I will say that he is the legit LW champion, but that if he wants to shut critics up then he has to stop BJ Penn, not just win a decision with some messed up scores.
BS, you'll just want another fight.

Denial is the first step of acceptence.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
BS, you'll just want another fight.

Denial is the first step of acceptence.
No, I would not. What I would like is for either one of these guys to win via a solid finish (no early stoppage, or bad tap call, etc) so that none of this would be up for debate.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
BJ fought a stupid, stupid fight the first time around. I can't sit here and say with a straight face that I don't think he'll fight a stupid again. Who knows with BJ - You never know who's going to show up.

That being said, I still, to this day, remain unimpressed with really anything Frankie Edgar has done. He's tough, but that he's made it as far as he has astounds me. *Shrug*

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
All of the things Frankie could do that I thought would give BJ problems did but BJ looked sluggish and hurt going into the fight and Frankie was less effective than I thought he would be kickboxing for a lot of the fight. If BJ is looking good physically I think he runs through Frankie this time.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts