Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fedor Emelianenko (31-1 MMA, 1-0 SF) and M-1 Global will once again co-promote an event with Strikeforce.

While there had been some concern the two promotions would be unable to reach an agreement as to the terms of a future fight card, Strikeforce today announced that Emelianenko's return to the cage has finally been set.

As has long been rumored, Emelianenko will face Fabricio Werdum (13-4-1 MMA, 2-0 SF) at a June 26 co-promoted event at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

The main card airs live on Showtime.

The deal comes after lengthy negotiations between Strikeforce and M-1 Global following disagreements concerning the three-fight partnership between the companies that arose concerning this past November's "Fedor vs. Rogers" event.

M-1 Global president Vadim Finkelchtein recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the bulk of the concerns centered around the branding of the shows, though there were some financial issues to address as well.

"When two organizations decide to work together on a project like this, it would figure that the brands of both of the companies involved in the project would be recognized equally in the project," Finkelchtein said. "I think it's fair enough to say that everyone who saw the Nov. 7 show essentially had no idea that it was a co-promotion between M-1 and Strikeforce. It looked like a Strikeforce show. The fact that we had our logo on the mat didn't make us stand out at all from any of the other sponsors. The small logos that we had and the graphics that we had, they didn't spell out co-promotion in the way that we had expected.

"In terms of the financial side of things, we invested money into the project, and it was a considerably larger amount of money than Strikeforce. All we want going forward is what was promised to us. We don't want additional co-promotion. We don't want additional branding. We don't want additional money. We just want what was promised to us in the negotiations prior to this relationship being entered into. It's a little bit of this and a little bit of that, essentially, and nothing on top of what was promised."

With those issues apparently resolved, Emelianenko can now return to action.

"The Last Emperor" brings an incredible 27-fight winning streak into the matchup in a run that includes a second-round TKO victory over Brett Rogers in their November meeting. Emelianenko is widely regarded as the best heavyweight in mixed martial arts history, though his reputation as the world's current top pound-for-pound fighter has taken a hit in recent years due a lack of activity.

Nevertheless, Emelianenko has earned stoppages in his past eight fights. That stretch includes first-round finishes of former UFC champions Andrei Arlovski and Tim Sylvia.

Meanwhile, Werdum enters the matchup on the strength of two-straight victories under the Strikeforce banner. The four-time UFC veteran was released from the world's largest promotion following an October 2008 loss to Junior dos Santos. "Vai Cavalo" has bounced back with Strikeforce wins over Antonio Silva and Mike Kyle.

The winner of the Emelianenko-Werdum matchup would likely emerge as the top contender for the May 15 contest between current Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem and Rogers.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/18986/m-1...anenko-vs-fabricio-werdum-set-for-june-26.mma

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
its nice to see two fringe top 10s go at it.

maybe the winner can get a title shot.

fedor is the getting ranked gatekeeper now i guess. if you get ranked top 10, you fight him. if you arent ranked top 10, then just fight him and somehow you will be.

btw how do you still get to be considered the WAMMA or Pride champion?? it doesnt exist anymore. if somebody beats Fedor will they then be the Pride and WAMMA Champion??

if i beat up Ted Dibiase am i the New Million Dollar Champion??

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
WAMMA is a little behind the times. According to their website Fedor is scheduled to fight Brett Rogers.

http://www.gowamma.com/

By the way, Aoki was the Undisputed Light Weight Champ according to WAMMA, does that mean that Melendez is now?

·
Registered
260 Posts
It takes so long to actually get Fedor to get in the cage, I'd liek to see him actually fight someone decent ( I know that Werdum is ranked, but Fedor is a horrible matchup for Werdum)

Overeem or bust.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I just can't see how this match-up was achieved. Strikeforce is such an amateur organisation its unbelievable. You can't expect to grow and be recognised as a legit org that wants to compete with the UFC when they have a champ who doesn't fight for two years, and have the p4p best heavyweight beating guys then the person he beats gets a title shot and he just fights random upper tier HW's. It's pathetic, I don't know if its Strikeforce or M-1 who are looking to protect his legacy but its making a mockery of Strikeforce. Just fold already and give the UFC more fighters to work with.

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
I have to admit this fight does annoy me a little bit. Emelianenko vs. Werdum was a fight I was interested in seeing but what gets me is that Werdum should be fighting Overeem. He was named no.1 contender some time ago but didn't get to fight for the title because Overeem had an "injury." Now Rogers, fresh from a KO loss to Fedor, is going to fight Overeem for the title (In theory he will be fighting Overeem).

·
Banned
2,638 Posts

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
This is probably gonna piss some people off, but shame on Strikeforce for giving Fedor favorable match ups. Anyone who thinks there is anyway in hell that Werdum can win this fight is delusional. I would much rather see a Fedor/Rogers rematch then see this debacle. Werdums stand up is garbage, he has not been extremely successful in translating his top notch bjj skills to mma, there is no possible way he can win this fight. Im very disappointed that Strikeforce is more interested in giving Fedor easy wins then putting him against there champion, who is extremely skilled and poses some serious match up problems for any fighter on the planet.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Strikeforce is showing exactly why the UFC doesn't want to copromote or let most of their fighters compete in other competitions.

Setting up Fedor/Overeem match became a nightmare for Coker because

1) Overeem is allowed to fight in K1 and whatever other organization he wants whenever he wants.

2) Fedor's management seem to be afraid of letting Fedor fight Overeem, why else would they deem Werdum as worthy to fight Fedor but say that Overeem was not.

3) M-1 was holding SF hostage over copromotion and contract renegotiations and Coker had no clue when that issue could be settled.

Strikeforce did the best they could when they got Overeem to commit to a date to fight for them. Fedor wasn't available due to M-1 and so they gave him Rogers who is their next best fighter. The good news is that the belt situation should be perfectly fine after Fedor's next two fights.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Strikeforce is showing exactly why the UFC doesn't want to copromote or let most of their fighters compete in other competitions.

Setting up Fedor/Overeem match became a nightmare for Coker because

1) Overeem is allowed to fight in K1 and whatever other organization he wants whenever he wants.

2) Fedor's management seem to be afraid of letting Fedor fight Overeem, why else would they deem Werdum as worthy to fight Fedor but say that Overeem was not.

3) M-1 was holding SF hostage over copromotion and contract renegotiations and Coker had no clue when that issue could be settled.

Strikeforce did the best they could when they got Overeem to commit to a date to fight for them. Fedor wasn't available due to M-1 and so they gave him Rogers who is their next best fighter. The good news is that the belt situation should be perfectly fine after Fedor's next two fights.
The best they could do was put a guy who lost his last fight up against there champion? That makes no sense dude. If Fedor couldnt fight Overeem (which is funny, they let Overeem go over two years without defending his belt, but suddenly they have to have him fight Rogers?) it seems like Werdum should get the next title shot (he is a Strikeforce heavyweight that actually won his last fight). The only thing about Werdum/Fedor that makes sense is that Strikeforce wants to give Fedor another highlight reel KO.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Glad to hear this fight in happening, now its like the little 4 man battle for the SF HW championship that I wanted to see is in place.

When you think about it this is right, Overeem should of had him title stripped by now, so I just think of this a a 4 man elimination tourney where the winner of Werdum/Fedor fights the winner of Rogers/Overeem, its bound to happen when you think about it, and come the end of this little 4 man tourney who could argue that whoever is holding the belt is not a justified champion.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yay, another "good" fighter for Emelianenko to pad his stats with... I hope Werdum gets lucky and puts a big hole in M-1.

But...but...but Werdum is clearly the second best HW and would totally own any UFC HW. Fedor always fights the best!

Honestly though, I think even Fedor's biggest supporters have given up trying to defend his opponents at this point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts