Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I give kudos to Shogun and company for coming in with an excellent game plan twice in a row against someone that no could figure out. Let me explain. In the first fight the gameplan was to take advantage of Machida's stance and lead leg, and chop it down. Now he knew he Machida would try and counter with the straight, so after the leg kick he would put up his hands to block the incoming punch he knew was coming. And IMO was successful in blocking 2/3 of the counter straights, while cleanly landing most of his leg kicks.

Second fight his strategy changed, and he became a lot more aggressive. He knew Machida would adjust his stance slightly, which in turn would limit his elusive defensiveness and allow him to get tagged more often. Shogun's main weapon? Straight rights and lefts one after the other to close the distance. Why was that so successful? Because Lyoto's favorite counter punch is the straight left which is hard to land if your opponents throwing straights left and right. Lyoto doesn't really have hooks or overhands to counter, which really isn't in his style of fighting. I also believe that after experiencing Lyoto's power in the first fight, he felt that Lyoto would not be able to knock him out, allowing him to be more aggressive with his hands.

Overall, smart gameplan and execution.

Reactions: elardo

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
add this to the other 10 topics about shogun, Why do you feel like you need to create a new topic for something people have been saying for 30+ pages combined in other topics.

not trying to be a dick here, but cmon man! (lol)

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
add this to the other 10 topics about shogun, Why do you feel like you need to create a new topic for something people have been saying for 30+ pages combined in other topics.

not trying to be a dick here, but cmon man! (lol)
Cause I wanted to talk about his gameplan specifically. Yes there are a bazillion other threads about Shogun vs Machida, but what do you expect when it was the most talked about rematch ever? And I read most of the 30+ pages that you are reffering to and I'm yet to come across the points that I addressed specifically. Do you have anything to add or are you applying become a moderator?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Shogun's gameplan was no secret. It was comparitive to Rampage's "Whoop Dat Ass" gameplan. Great fight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts