Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
IMO an extra round should be added to any close fight, or any exciting fight that fans want another round added to.

I guess it has to do with the Nevade State Commission? Don't they have to presanction the amount of rounds?

·
Resident Drunk
3,716 Posts
I say NO.

Reason, 5 rounds is already long and I really don't care how exciting the fight is or how close it is, but if you can't finish the guy in 25 minutes, you're out of chances in my book.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Unified Rules for Mixed Martial Arts specify that non-championship contests must be three rounds, and championship contests five rounds. The rounds must be five minutes each and there must be a one-minute rest between each round.

The only way around this that I know of (other than holding an event in a jurisdiction that doesn't adopt the Unified Rules) is to create an interim belt and thus make the event a championship contest. But I don't like to see loads of fake belts floating around and I don't think Dana & UFC do either, except under unusual conditions. It weakens the real belt and creates confusion.

But I would love to see five-round main events for PPVs/UFCs (not for Fight Nights unless they're title bouts). It would be great to see how some of the contenders fare in a five-round fight before they get their title shots. I don't think anybody's keen to change the rules, though - I think UFC and MMA in general want to be able to point to an established ruleset as they try to hold events in new places (like my town, Vancouver, which still bans MMA events).

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts
I dunno, fights more than 25 minutes long could get pretty unwatchable.

Or do you mean some kind of overtime? They tried that, and it wasn't very good.

·
Resident Drunk
3,716 Posts
I dunno, fights more than 25 minutes long could get pretty unwatchable.

Or do you mean some kind of overtime? They tried that, and it wasn't very good.
I agree, and would lose interest in watching a fight for more than 5 rounds. Like I am sure there were times when I thought, damn this fight is both exciting and close and another round would be dope, but those kinds of fights are really rare.

And the trouble of implementing something like this is how subjective fights can be, and a boring ass fight like the Letis (spelling) vs Anderson fight might be the most exciting fight to another guy, and we'd run into the problem of picking which fights merit that "extra" round.

So in all fairness, not a good idea at all!

Also agree with name goes here, because I use to love boxing but once it dragged passed the 6th or 7th round I clearly remember thinking, KO the guy or throw in the towel cause I am getting bored.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Longer fights will just end up being about who's got the best Cardio, not necessarily who has the best technique. That's been one of the drawbacks of boxing - 2 knackered dudes leaning on eachother for the last 20 minutes.

Keep MMA fights short and sweet, the explosive nature of the fights are one of the draws of the sport.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
The Unified Rules for Mixed Martial Arts specify that non-championship contests must be three rounds, and championship contests five rounds. The rounds must be five minutes each and there must be a one-minute rest between each round.

The only way around this that I know of (other than holding an event in a jurisdiction that doesn't adopt the Unified Rules) is to create an interim belt and thus make the event a championship contest. But I don't like to see loads of fake belts floating around and I don't think Dana & UFC do either, except under unusual conditions. It weakens the real belt and creates confusion.

But I would love to see five-round main events for PPVs/UFCs (not for Fight Nights unless they're title bouts). It would be great to see how some of the contenders fare in a five-round fight before they get their title shots. I don't think anybody's keen to change the rules, though - I think UFC and MMA in general want to be able to point to an established ruleset as they try to hold events in new places (like my town, Vancouver, which still bans MMA events).
Actually they changed the Unified Rules so that will no longer apply.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think a 1 minute overtime is needed in fights where the action is stoped at the bell e.g like in the recent strikeforce miller vs shilds in rd 3 where miller had a rear naked choke on shilds but was saved by the bell with an extra 10secs he would of been out or maybe he would of got out but id rather know then it be saved by the bell.

so it wouldnt be a extra round just up to a minute to finalize a dangerous spot be in a sub, mount or having a fight rocked

Reactions: Zemelya

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
I think a 1 minute overtime is needed in fights where the action is stoped at the bell e.g like in the recent strikeforce miller vs shilds in rd 3 where miller had a rear naked choke on shilds but was saved by the bell with an extra 10secs he would of been out or maybe he would of got out but id rather know then it be saved by the bell.

so it wouldnt be a extra round just up to a minute to finalize a dangerous spot be in a sub, mount or having a fight rocked
I don't think we gain by having rounds as it is - it should be just one 15/ 25 minute round. Giving fighters a breather helps the loser get back into the fight. A continuous fight exacerbates any fatigue damage a fighter is taking. IMO

·
Registered
24 Posts

But then what would happen if the same thing happens at the end of that extra minute - a choke is put on but guy gets saved by the bell. If you prefer that route then why not just go back to the old rules where there was no time limit, the fights just last until there is a winner, no breaks or rests.

That part of the Shields Miller fight was the only good part of the whole fight, wondering if he's going to tap before the bell or not. It's part of MMA as it is now, and personally I prefer it this way.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I guess I missunderstood the question but I will give my opinion anyways on my missunderstanding :D

I think all MAIN EVENTS should be 5 rounds, usually it's title fights or contender fights and it will help the "next-in-line" people practice for 5 rounders.

·
The Detective
1,338 Posts
The cons would be that there might not be enough time on the pay per view to show them or on spike. Also, it can be a disaster if fights that fans didn't like (Silva vs leites) went on extra rounds.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I guess I missunderstood the question but I will give my opinion anyways on my missunderstanding :D

I think all MAIN EVENTS should be 5 rounds, usually it's title fights or contender fights and it will help the "next-in-line" people practice for 5 rounders.
Yes, this is what I thought the OP was referring to as well. And I agree with you.

Does anyone know more about the changes to the Unified Rules?

·
Registered
816 Posts
But then what would happen if the same thing happens at the end of that extra minute - a choke is put on but guy gets saved by the bell. If you prefer that route then why not just go back to the old rules where there was no time limit, the fights just last until there is a winner, no breaks or rests.

That part of the Shields Miller fight was the only good part of the whole fight, wondering if he's going to tap before the bell or not. It's part of MMA as it is now, and personally I prefer it this way.
well it would only be a max of a mintue and if the guy gets out of the choke in 30secs then the round is over as the danager is over.. i think just like the fighters shouldnt be told to stand up when they working for posion or doing subs i dont think a rounf should end when a figther is in danger

1 - 16 of 16 Posts