Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10/9/9486867/urijah-faber-opens-up-about-t-j-dillashaw-departure-he-walked-away

With the departure of UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw from Team Alpha Male becoming publicly official this week, there's been relative silence from the man who is the head of the team Dillashaw left: former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber.

On the Stud Show Radio podcast on Thursday, Faber spoke at length about Dillashaw's decision, how it happened and what it means for their future. "It's been hard for everybody," Faber acknowledges. "It's been really uncomfortable. Obviously, it's a weird situation. I never really saw it coming."

According to Faber, he had heard from an unnamed MMA journalist as well as unsolicited texts from Duane Ludwig that there was a potential issue with a team in Colorado poaching members of Team Alpha Male. Faber says he asked Dillashaw and at first didn't get any indication the champion was to be part of the program. Eventually, however, Dillashaw revealed he'd be leaving Team Alpha Male and listed some of the reasons for his departure.

As far as Faber is concerned, he doesn't find them particularly compelling.

"He's talking about how it's an amazing opportunity money-wise or whatever," Faber says. "Pfff, you gotta be kidding me, dude. You could dedicate yourself to mowing lawns for Sanchez Carlino's business and make the same amount of money if you do it full time."

In addition, Faber takes issue with the manner in which he understands Dillashaw was recruited to the team. Faber specifically targets wrestling coach Leister Bowling.

"I come to find out later there's a guy Leister or something like that. He's a recruiter or wrestling coach or something like that who has been talking to Cody [Garbrandt] and trying to get Cody to come out," Faber contends. "Basically trying to chicken hawk guys and apparently there's an article where he said something like, 'I had a heart-to-heart with T.J.,' granted, he's worked with him half of one camp - 'and I told him it's about time you do something for yourself. It's about time you do something selfish.'

"We all know T.J.," Faber continues. "He gives back to the team, but he's also about no. 1. And I'm thinking, 'Who the hell is this guy who's giving him life advice and barely knows him, that he needs to do something for himself and come train with him?'"

Faber says Dillashaw told him in addition to being paid, his new Elevation Fight Team has paid for a leased house for the UFC champion for one year. "'No, it's not like that. They leased me a house. I've got a house leased for a year,'" Faber says Dillashaw explained.

'The California Kid' most notably took issue with Dillashaw's allegedly stated hope to be able to train with Team Alpha Male when in town on visits or for intermitent periods. For Faber, that's a non-starter.

"When you have a family environment, you have people that have different little issues. T.J.'s thing has been that he has a bad temper and he hurts people in practice and does stuff. He's got a temper and doesn't hold back sometimes," Faber notes.

"I'm like, 'It doesn't make sense for you to come in and spar with our guys,'" Faber says he explained.

"And they've got Dominick Cruz who has been out his whole life, basically, because he's not made for combat. I'm 1-1 with that guy and T.J. hasn't fought him yet. I turned down the fight with him twice. Dana [White] called me and said, 'What if I said I don't want you to fight this guy? I want you to fight T.J. for the belt.'

"'Man, I just don't think I can do it,'" Faber says he told White.

"I heard T.J. say he gotten taken care of better in college than he does here, whatever that means. That's ridiculous.

"He said he wants to come back and be a part of our team, but he made a big boy decision. He walked away from the family that brought him up, the guys who were a big part of his success."

All that said, Faber isn't closing the door on any kind of relationship with Dillashaw, but says the professional avenues are no longer open.

"Friendship's a different thing. If we want to maintain a friendship that's built through actions, I'm OK with being friends with the guy. We've been really close. We've lived in the same house together when he was going through rough times. He's been a sidekick to me whenever I went through all of my training," Faber says. "We were grooming him to be a champion. If he wants to be friends, I have no problem being friends and told him that.

"It doesn't make sense, from now on, because of this tiny amount of money in the big scheme of things that he's going to go represent another team, send the message to our team that what we have isn't good enough because even in college he had a better situation than us.

"T.J. just said he wants to walk away from the team. That doesn't mean you get to come in here and help coach the guys when he's really going to be watching to see a little opening here or there."

While Faber didn't say whether he was open or willing to fight Dillashaw at this point in time or if any plan to do so was imminent, he did note the pressure from the UFC to make the fight made the possibility much likelier and that previous road blocks were no longer there.

"Zuffa's not going to be like, oh we can't fight T.J. because he used to train with us. Trust me, this train is going to get blown out of proportion," he says.

Faber also notes he spoke to Dillashaw recently, including the same day as the recording of the conversation. Faber describes the encounter as pleasant and entirely non-confrontational, but one where boundaries had to be established.

"Honestly, T.J. came over to my house. We sat down for an hour, I showed him my house, we hung out, reminisced. I told him we can't be meshing the team with what he wants to do now.

"'Dude, to be honest, brother, it's been a huge distraction. Everybody's been talking just about this,'" he recalls telling him. "This is what people have been talking about. We're trying to focus and everything is about T.J. bouncing on our team."

"I'm like, 'T.J., it's a distraction. I understand that we are your family and you feel like we're losing something, but that's not my decision, dude. That's not the decision that I made. If you'd like to actually say, 'Hey, I'm going to stay here.' Dude, open arms. You're welcome to do it.'"

"From him making a business decision to go somewhere he feels is going to be better for him, that's not the right message for the championship team I'm trying to build. That's not the right message for the little kids to see someone you built into a champion and then he walks away. That's not a right message when you're letting him come in and spar guys when he loses self control and actually injures people sometimes.

"Friendship is a different thing and that's through actions. You earn that over time and I would say that T.J. is my friend. I hope he beats the s--t out of Dominick Cruz because I don't like Dominick Cruz. I like T.J. But he made a decision to walk away and that's a big boy decision. It's gotta be cut and dry."

Faber notes he expects to see Dillashaw soon and admits it's unclear what the future holds, but is prepared for a number of different scenarios when it comes to how he and Dillashaw get along.

"Am I going to see him at Joseph [Benavidez]'s wedding this weekend? Yes! If he wants to have a barbecue and invite me on the boat, may I go out there? Maybe. Is he my best friend? I would say I have best friends that would never walk away like that. I wouldn't say it's a great friend move to do some of the things he's done recently.

"You want to build a friendship from this point on, I'm open to that, but at this point, it's you're this team, I'm this team. You know all the secrets thus far, but you don't know all the secrets of every individual on this team. I'm not going to have him in there trying to find those things out. You know he's the most competitive guy we've met.

"We just know T.J. and it's not a comfortable situation for him to be trying to act like he still wants to be a part of our team, but give all the credit [elsewhere]."

According to Faber, the bigger picture is the team he's trying to build. He argues keeping Dillashaw around would send the wrong message, potentially hurt his athletes and lets Dillashaw have his cake and eat it, too. He's open to a new relationship based solely on friendship, but that's the beginning and end of it all.

"That's not how it works for a team I'm trying to build into a tradition of championships. Our team is the best team in the world and I'm going to maintain that and I'm not going to let anybody break that up," Faber states. "If people want to leave, we never ask people to stay if they don't want to stay. Go ahead and go. If you want to be friends, let's be friends."
Sounds like Faber has a case of sour grapes, which I can understand. Overall, I agree with his sentiments. You can't have a guy that says he wants to leave to come back once in a while pop in. However, I definitely think the jabs about hurting people in training is uncalled for. I would say, I agree with him, but probably should have handled it with more class.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Faber is sour grapes? Dillishaw and Ludwig screwed them over big time and then act as if it was his doing. Dillishaw wouldn't be champ without Alpha Male and Ludwigs career was over before Faber saved him.

They're both scumbags and Faber is going easy on them, be friends with Dillishaw? He stabbed Faber in the back, I'd tell him to f off forever and never talk to me again.

·
HiiiPoWeR
17,676 Posts
I really like Dillashaw and thoroughly enjoyed his beatdown of Barao put sort of want to see Faber putting on a whooping on him.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Poor TJ is going to get beat by DC then for fun sake I hope Faber does too. People who jump ship are at the bottom of the totem pool for me. There was no reason to. He could have explained the whole Duane situation put him off and now he's thinking about changing things up, but it sounds like it was done pretty abruptly or maybe it was a long time coming. I still place Duane as the culprit as the one to spit venom in his head...to make him start thinking.

·
Super Moderator
8,141 Posts
The whole situation stinks.

I hope TJ gets the ass kicking he deserves. I hope TAM gets another Champ and I hope Ludwig goes bankrupt.

So no hard feelings on my part :D:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
When Faber says Team Alpha Male is training future champions like Cody Garbrandt who fight in the same weight division TJ Dillashaw is reigning champ of...

I wonder what their exit strategy was for scenarios where TJ has the belt and Cody Garbrandt is the #1 contender. Was Cody supposed to wait until someone beats TJ before fighting for the title? They've never run into issues where two people from TAM want the same belt because until TJ, none of them succeeded in winning UFC gold.

But if that situation did come up, have to wonder what their solution was. Maybe they didn't have one?

Months back Faber said he would fight TJ for the title if TJ wanted him to. I wonder if that's the moment when people start to look for new gyms, when they realize people from their own gym would be open to fighting them for the title.

·
Premium Member
8,793 Posts
This part got my attention.

That's not a right message when you're letting him come in and spar guys when he loses self control and actually injures people sometimes.
TJ losing self control and hurting team mates... sometimes? No good.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Faber is sour grapes? Dillishaw and Ludwig screwed them over big time and then act as if it was his doing. Dillishaw wouldn't be champ without Alpha Male and Ludwigs career was over before Faber saved him.

They're both scumbags and Faber is going easy on them, be friends with Dillishaw? He stabbed Faber in the back, I'd tell him to f off forever and never talk to me again.
This.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Whats this Faber saved him bullshit? Ludwig is a masterful striking coach... TJ would never have been champion without him and Mendes was merely a wrestler with a decent punch before Ludwig. What exactly did Alpha Male do for these 2? They could already wrestle...

A guy with that talent never needed saving... he was always going to make it.

·
Resident Drunk
3,716 Posts

I'm with you all the way. TJ is a bitch! Man, Faber convinced him to stick with MMA and not quick, took him into his home and brought him through this from the ground up. Guy wins the title and all of a sudden he's bouncing, but not only that, when Faber asked him what's up with Colorado, he lied. That's not a friend and I HATE saying this but Conor was right about him being a snake in the grass.

I really want to see him beat down by both DC and Faber lmao!

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Faber is coming off as hurt and it's pretty understandable. TJ was his protege for a lot of years. TBH I'd be pissed too.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
8,141 Posts
Whats this Faber saved him bullshit? Ludwig is a masterful striking coach... TJ would never have been champion without him and Mendes was merely a wrestler with a decent punch before Ludwig. What exactly did Alpha Male do for these 2? They could already wrestle...

A guy with that talent never needed saving... he was always going to make it.
No doubt he's a fantastic coach.

But when he was down and out and in financial trouble, he needed someone to take a chance on him and thats what Faber did.

Faber also mentored him on the business side of things like building his brand and getting his name out there. He also allowed Ludwig to have his own shop within his gym to further help him out financially.

IMO Ludwig owes a huge debt of gratitude to Faber. Instead he opened his own gym (without giving Faber notice) and poached TAM's champion and according to Faber is continuing in his attempt to Poach TAM's fighters.

Guys a great coach, but also a class A shit head and bully.

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
This part got my attention.

TJ losing self control and hurting team mates... sometimes? No good.
Didn't say Faber something similar about Ludwig¿ Seems Dillashaw and Ludwig match together then. Maybe for the gym and the team it's not that bad in the long run that they parted, even if this means losing a champion in short term.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
No doubt he's a fantastic coach.

But when he was down and out and in financial trouble, he needed someone to take a chance on him and thats what Faber did.

Faber also mentored him on the business side of things like building his brand and getting his name out there. He also allowed Ludwig to have his own shop within his gym to further help him out financially.

IMO Ludwig owes a huge debt of gratitude to Faber. Instead he opened his own gym (without giving Faber notice) and poached TAM's champion and according to Faber is continuing in his attempt to Poach TAM's fighters.

Guys a great coach, but also a class A shit head and bully.
Everything is short lived. He'll most likely lose to DC then set up a rivalry match vs Uriah which is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. That'll be the end of TJ as Jon Dodson will be back at 135 as well. Once they become champion they don't realize how difficult it is to stay. They'll need a support system more than ever.
His new team mates are only going along for the ride and don't know him on a personal level the way TAM does. It'll be in a not so distant future where he realizes it may not have been the best decision. Moving to Greg Jackson, ATT, AKA or a top mma gym is one thing, but that MP gym doesn't have any champions or top sparring partners that I know of.

Once I heard about the ongoing rifts with Duane I thought about this dynamic. Ultimately I didn't think he'd do it due to his long time relation with TAM. I guess TJ thinks he's better than the rest and Duane got to his head for sure. What characters...

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Not a fan of any of the Alpha Male goofballs.

But surprised so many side with Faber. He comes off as a little girl. A girl who loves to gossip and hear herself talk.

Its like dude, then go fight TJ. Instead he is fighting some no name on UFC 194. Faber just sits back and whines about everything.

Ludwig was a big part of Dill getting to a champion level. He is directly responsible for TJ beating Barao badly twice.....where as Barao destroyed Faber twice. I don't care what Ludwig is as a person.....he is responsible for getting TJ to that level. So Faber is going to cry because TJ came up in the "family" what sort of weird Godfather shit does Faber think he is on?

Most all fighters change camps or trains different places. So why does Faber have a stick up his ass about this? TJ isn't allowed to further his career? Because he was with Alpha Male and now left ....he screwed them? What sort of jealous crap is that?

Faber is a big baby. Cry me a river. He is the only one talking. He is talking to himself because he can't handle that Ludwig got TJ somewhere Faber couldn't get to.

Faber is a bum. F that guy. Full of himself.

Oh god lets get real here. Ludwig owes him what? Faber gave him a chance? And what did he do with that chance? Put Alpha Male on the map. For that year everyone striking looked better. Mendes on a tear. TJ a champ. Faber on a long streak. He put Alpha over the hump by TJ becoming champ in amazing fashion knocking off a top P4P easily. So how about what Faber owes Ludwig?

It is all business. Faber gave him a chance and Ludwig delivered with performances. So why does anyone owe anything in that regard?

How did he Poach fighters? He didn't poach TJ. TJ CHOSE to go live with Ludwig. You are Faber act like TJ is come little kid and Ludwig and Faber are the parents. TJ is his own man and obviously saw benefits from working with Ludwig.....therefor chose to train with him most and really let Ludwig shape his fighting style. How is THAT poaching? DFillishaw is chained to team Faber for life?

I really don't get it. Fighters switch camps all the time. ALL THE TIME!!!!

WIth Ludwig Alpha actually got a champion. Without him Alpha would still be 0 for...? how many title fights now? Faber alone wasn't getting TJ to that level. So it is TJ's fault he found and clung onto better help that would better his career and skills?

hahaha

·
Super Moderator
8,141 Posts
Oh god lets get real here. Ludwig owes him what? Faber gave him a chance? And what did he do with that chance? Put Alpha Male on the map. For that year everyone striking looked better. Mendes on a tear. TJ a champ. Faber on a long streak. He put Alpha over the hump by TJ becoming champ in amazing fashion knocking off a top P4P easily. So how about what Faber owes Ludwig?

It is all business. Faber gave him a chance and Ludwig delivered with performances. So why does anyone owe anything in that regard?

How did he Poach fighters? He didn't poach TJ. TJ CHOSE to go live with Ludwig. You are Faber act like TJ is come little kid and Ludwig and Faber are the parents. TJ is his own man and obviously saw benefits from working with Ludwig.....therefor chose to train with him most and really let Ludwig shape his fighting style. How is THAT poaching? DFillishaw is chained to team Faber for life?

I really don't get it. Fighters switch camps all the time. ALL THE TIME!!!!

WIth Ludwig Alpha actually got a champion. Without him Alpha would still be 0 for...? how many title fights now? Faber alone wasn't getting TJ to that level. So it is TJ's fault he found and clung onto better help that would better his career and skills?

hahaha
Well jonnyg, not everyone shares the same sociopathic views as you.

All we can go off is the information we have seen. Faber seems to be a decent bloke from what I've seen/heard of him, whereas Ludwig seems to be a bit of twat from what I've seen/heard from him.

In the real world jonny, people make connections with one another and form bonds. Faber has known TJ for years and responsible for most of his training. Faber has admitted that Ludwig brought a lot to the table, much of which they still teach now.

I don't think Ludwig is bad person for opening his own gym, but the way in which he went about was underhand (if you haven't heard the Faber/Helwani interview check it out). TAM were in the market for a striking coach and took a chance on Lugwig who was unproven at that point. It was Faber that pushed Ludwigs name to help him out with his financial situation. TAM have certainly done more for Ludwig, that Ludwig has done for TAM.

Faber has every right to be pissed at whats gone down, to feel betrayed is a perfectly natural feeling.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Well jonnyg, not everyone shares the same sociopathic views as you.

All we can go off is the information we have seen. Faber seems to be a decent bloke from what I've seen/heard of him, whereas Ludwig seems to be a bit of twat from what I've seen/heard from him.

In the real world jonny, people make connections with one another and form bonds. Faber has known TJ for years and responsible for most of his training. Faber has admitted that Ludwig brought a lot to the table, much of which they still teach now.

I don't think Ludwig is bad person for opening his own gym, but the way in which he went about was underhand (if you haven't heard the Faber/Helwani interview check it out). TAM were in the market for a striking coach and took a chance on Lugwig who was unproven at that point. It was Faber that pushed Ludwigs name to help him out with his financial situation. TAM have certainly done more for Ludwig, that Ludwig has done for TAM.

Faber has every right to be pissed at whats gone down, to feel betrayed is a perfectly natural feeling.
Yea I watched that interview and what I came away with is "boy Faber can talk all night long about himself". It was comical.

I don't see how TJ "betrayed" him. He did what is better for his career and probably had a hard time doing it, hence, the beating around the bush and not telling the truth.

But when Faber goes and blows up TJ's striking coach and a guy he lived with to win the title then what is TJ to do? Faber made a distraction for his whole team by going to Helwani and ranting like a girl "and then" "and then" he said" "she said".....on the whole situation. Keep that in house. Like Conor said Faber isn't a champion, he was on TUF to be on TV, he is there to further his brand the most. Ludwig added to that brand by mentoring a guy and changing his fighting style. Creating a champion when their rep was runner ups.

Like I said, I don't know, nor do I care what they do in their personal business. Ludwig is perhaps a bad guy and a selfish all about money guy. Not everyone is the same. You come across all sorts of people in life, Ludwig ended up as a headache, but Ludwig brought something to Alpha Male and Alpha Male brought something to him.

If Faber doesn't blow up the whole situation on an MMA Hour 40 minute rant....perhaps TJ doesn't decide to move camp completely. How is that for timing....you know....Faber rants...TJ leaves a few weeks later. Imagine that.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
This seems like a grey area all in all. Faber looks at things as friendship above business, so he felt wronged. TJ behaves in the manner of business above friendship, so he feels justified. Clearly, right and wrong is going to be a subjective one.

On Ludwig, yes, he is an amazing striking coach and always was, but he would have never brought those talents to the public attention that he did without TAM. TAM struck gold by giving Ludwig a chance that nobody else was. Pre TAM, Ludwig was just another mediocre ex-fighting who wanted to coach. He wasn't an established coach, just another guy with more knowledge than talent. Without TAM, Ludwig keeps all that gold to himself and would have remained in obscurity.

No TAM, no TJ and Mendes. No exposure with TJ and Mendes, no clout to open up his own gym in Colorado that would attract anymore attention than your next ex-fighter gone MMA gym owner.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts