Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strikeforce heavyweight number one contender, Fabricio Werdum has confirmed he wants to forgo his shot at the title and rematch Fedor Emelianenko in his next fight and if that wasn’t enough he wants to do it in Russia.

Speaking via Tatame Magazine, Werdum said:

“I want to fight against Fedor from 6 to 8 months from now in Russia, Rocky Balboa style. I believe that the crowd will be with him, bur people will respect me and I’ll bring my guys. I’m sure that the Brazilians can make much more noise than a million of Russians. It’s hard for anyone to believe on a guy who’s getting in there as the underdog against a guy who’s considered as the best of the world, and now I want to send a big hug for those who cheered for me and for those who didn’t believes in me so that they understand that you can never underestimate someone.”

The Brazilian pulled off the upset of the year so far when he slapped on a triangle choke and an armbar at the same time after just sixty second, eventually forcing the enigma that is Fedor to tap out. Will he be granted clearance by Strikeforce to make the trip to Russia and what does this mean for Alistair Overeem and the Strikeforce heavyweight title?

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
I dont get Werdum, I think he can lose more than he can win fighting fedor again.
He's defeated the top 3 revelant HWs in Strikeforce right now in Fedor, Overeem and Bigfoot.

He's in an interesting spot.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I dont get Werdum, I think he can lose more than he can win fighting fedor again.
At least he isn't afraid and likes challenges. He still considers Fedor the best and wants to prove he can win again. Whats better than beating a virtually long time undefeated fighter, twice? Giving him his only legit loss then beating him a again would be huge.

Like Randy, like Big Nog, hell even liek Mark Coleman who at age 40 whatever has tried to fight Shogun and Randy....Werdum likes a challenge and isn't afraid to lose. A group of HWs I don't consider Fedor in.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Well...this is something that i wanted to post for a day or so...but was too busy. It's a point of view of mine.

I give Werdum the credit for this win. No doubt.
But...at this moment he seems to think he is invincible: wants to fight Brock...wants to go to Russia to fight Fedor again...Honestly?!! Please!!!

Like i've said: he beat Fedor and that is big. But how did he do it? By submission! Very good! Considering how good Fedor's submission skills are combined with all of his other qualities, it is a very big accomplishement.

But, the one thing Werdum lost sight of, is the fact that in this fight he took advantage of a very big mistake from Fedor: after falling to the ground, Werdum immediately went into BJJ defense mode and that is a normal thing for him (being a BJJ black belt), but Fedor made a very rare mistake imo by following Werdum too quickly to the floor and trying to finnish the fight.
In almost all of his fights, after putting his opponent to the ground via strikes or takedown, Fedor didn't rush on him like he did against Werdum.
Werdum did a great job and i give him a big thumb up. But, i can't give him credit all the way. It sounds strange, but this is why: he didn't ge the sub thanks to a well thought and executed game plan. I am convinced he thought the best way to win this was on the ground by submitting Fedor. But he didn't take the fight to the ground thanks to his game plan. Not like Demian Maia did in all of his submission victories. That's a different story.
If Fedor would have tried and make this fight more like Silva-Maia?!?! What then? Can Werdum tell us what would have happened in that case?! I think JDS can tell us, if Werdum doesn't want to...:sarcastic12:
Therefore, i would try to keep all that enthusiasm for myself and be more humble (!?) maybe. In a way i understand him, but in so many ways i don't.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Yeah, can't have anything but respect for this guy. Hard to believe he's so confident going into a rematch with one of the sports most touted HW's, especially after that HW is going to be on guard. And to do it in hostile territory? Very ballsy.

Much respect.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I gave werdum all the props to be able to submit fedor so fast.

I told everyone that Werdum is very dangerous and laughed at people who said that it was an easy match up for Fedor.

Fedor made a mistake, but I give him props for going to the ground where the fight took place at the moment. He didnt back off like people do because he is an MMA artist. He fights there where the fight goes.

What I didnt get is that for a second he got out the triangle but still went on, and got cought again.

But oh well if this fight happens, I hope it does Fedor needs to win !

The best thing would be if Fedor would submit Werdum, just imagine if he does this in the rematch. :D Oh well I still can dream.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
I like werdum more and more. I discounted him just like everyone else after his ufc run. I love this Idea, he dreams big. If he wins the rematch he could walk in to a title shot in ufc or he could just retire and run the most successful and profitable BJJ school on the planet.

If he loses he does it in great style. :thumbsup:

edit: and I love the way Overeem gets left out. ... champ? ..what champ?

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
I like werdum more and more. I discounted him just like everyone else after his ufc run. I love this Idea, he dreams big. If he wins the rematch he could walk in to a title shot in ufc or he could just retire and run the most successful and profitable BJJ school on the planet.

If he loses he does it in great style. :thumbsup:
If he were to rematch fedor in Russia...i think it's a win-win situation for Werdum!
I couldn't care less where a possible rematch could take place. I just wanna see it happening.
I would like to see fedor come out and say he would rematch Werdum in Brazil! That would be SICK!!!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Makes me think that he feels he has a better chance of beating Fedor again than he does Overeem, ok he beat Overeem 4 years back, but that was a different Overeem not the 29 year old monster in the prime of his professional career right now.

I would respect Werdum more if he was to step up and take his title shot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.