Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happens when MMA math intersects with the logic of WWE and boxing math?

You get idiotic articles like this one (penned by idiotic authors like me) talking about a former pro wrestling champion beating a retired boxing kingpin who is already embroiled in a feud with a current MMA titleholder.

Let me see if I have this right.

Paulie Malignaggi would get creamed by everyone in UFC except CM Punk (says this guy), but Punk is the odds-on favorite to beat aspiring cage fighter Floyd Mayweather Jr., who is the betting underdog to Conor McGregor, who already lost to “Money” last August.

WTF?

When asked to justify the -300 line for Punk -- real name Phil Brooks — the penny pinchers at BetDSI told Bloody Elbow that “Money” (+220) would get shortchanged on the ground, based on his opponent’s size and grappling advantage.

To his credit, the welterweight Punk does have extensive jiu-jitsu training.

If and when Brooks does make his Octagon return, which is designed to make up for this one-round laugher, it’s likely to be at the UFC 225 pay-per-view (PPV) event in his backyard of Chicago (against this warm body), and Mayweather only fights in Las Vegas.

For billions of dollars.

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/2/15/17016562/ufc-odds-bookies-peg-cm-punk-huge-betting-favorite-over-floyd-mayweather-mma
:dunno:

I'm certain Oscar De La Hoya believes CM Punk vs Floyd would be great for boxing's legacy.

:laugh:

·
The 55%
16,514 Posts
I 100% think Floyd beats phony wrestler man 10/10 times. I can't believe I even participated in this post lol.
I'd pick someone who's been training in Roufusport for 3 years over someone who's never trained a day of grappling in his life.

CM Punk has been training full time as an MMA fighter for 2 years less than Francis Ngannou. Now, of course I'm not comparing the two skill wise or anything like this, but why is CM Punk still a "phony wrestler man" and Francis Ngannou is a martial artist when there's just two years difference in training?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I'd pick someone who's been training in Roufusport for 3 years over someone who's never trained a day of grappling in his life.

CM Punk has been training full time as an MMA fighter for 2 years less than Francis Ngannou. Now, of course I'm not comparing the two skill wise or anything like this, but why is CM Punk still a "phony wrestler man" and Francis Ngannou is a martial artist when there's just two years difference in training?
I honestly think Floyd would KO CM with A punch. I don't care how long he's been at Rufus, Floyd has been boxing his whole life, and let's not act like he's never been in a real fight before.

Comparing his skill level to Francis Ngannou is just silly. First of all he's a freak of nature. Secondly, he's an MMA boxing sponge. I think Francis Ngannou would lose to pretty much most boxers in his class based on his shit cardio alone. Another valid point...How good is CM's cardio? We all know Floyd can go 20 rds no problem. The experience he has would win him the fight. He's a very, very smart fighter. CM is just like the guys I know that fight in my local promotions. In fact, I know a woman that would most likely beat his ass lol

·
The 55%
16,514 Posts
I honestly think Floyd would KO CM with A punch. I don't care how long he's been at Rufus, Floyd has been boxing his whole life, and let's not act like he's never been in a real fight before.

Comparing his skill level to Francis Ngannou is just silly. First of all he's a freak of nature. Secondly, he's an MMA boxing sponge. I think Francis Ngannou would lose to pretty much most boxers in his class based on his shit cardio alone. Another valid point...How good is CM's cardio? We all know Floyd can go 20 rds no problem. The experience he has would win him the fight. He's a very, very smart fighter. CM is just like the guys I know that fight in my local promotions. In fact, I know a woman that would most likely beat his ass lol
Floyd would probably KO every single person in his weight class, maybe even in the entire UFC, with a punch.

But regardless, sure, Mayweather's been in a real fight probably. Still never stuffed a takedown in that entire life of boxing. Like, NEVER. Not defended a foot sweep. If you look at what Randy did to Toney, it wasn't even a common technique. He could shoot in for the ankle pick cause he was with a guy who stepped into the wrestling class on day 1.

I didn't compare his skill to Francis Ngannou, and clearly stated that I wasn't. What you said is correct about Ngannou, and there's 40 other factors like CM Punk not being a heavyweight that are massively relevant. But again, never compared their skills, I compared your classification.

Punk might have zero cardio (although Floyd would be close to tapping out after one round against say Khabib Nurmagomedov if Khabib never threw a single strike. When your muscle memory is zero, doesn't matter if you can go 100 rounds in boxing, one round of grappling is hell). Punk might have zero takedown skills in the first place. But that's what I'm saying about the fight. Is 3 years of training in grappling with the best fighters in the world enough to give a crazy committed yet older and unathletic guy the ability to beat a natural athlete with no skill?

Anyways, my post in the first place was questioning why someone training for 3 years full time is still just a "fake wrestler" but someone training for 5 years is in your mind a true martial artist?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I never called Francis a true martial artist either. He's a natural athlete and a sponge. This past year of him being at the performance institute just drilling is worth more than his training before then and most def 3 years at Roufus. Francis trains every day....

Roufus sport is in Milwauke and I believe CM lives in Chicago. Lets not sit here a pretend he sees him more than a couple times a month, if that outside of a camp. His second one at that. I think he's a blue belt under Carlson now which is impressive for anyone IMO, especially with wrestling injuries that I'm sure bother him but I don't think he's light years ahead of Mayweather in take downs because of it. I'm a white belt with very little experience besides rolling when I can and reading books and watching YouTube videos local comps etc...I think everyone has the capacity to pick up some basic knowledge in a small amount of time. Floyd is not exactly someone who can't follow instructions and learn. I have tapped blue belts before in practice. It's not often at all, but it's not impossible. That's all I'm trying to say.

·
The 55%
16,514 Posts
I never called Francis a true martial artist either. He's a natural athlete and a sponge. This past year of him being at the performance institute just drilling is worth more than his training before then and most def 3 years at Roufus. Francis trains every day....

Roufus sport is in Milwauke and I believe CM lives in Chicago. Lets not sit here a pretend he sees him more than a couple times a month, if that outside of a camp. His second one at that. I think he's a blue belt under Carlson now which is impressive for anyone IMO, especially with wrestling injuries that I'm sure bother him but I don't think he's light years ahead of Mayweather in take downs because of it. I'm a white belt with very little experience besides rolling when I can and reading books and watching YouTube videos local comps etc...I think everyone has the capacity to pick up some basic knowledge in a small amount of time. Floyd is not exactly someone who can't follow instructions and learn. I have tapped blue belts before in practice. It's not often at all, but it's not impossible. That's all I'm trying to say.
I personally just find it hilarious that you, a dude on his couch, feel that your opinion that Francis Ngannou, the recent contender for the greatest HW title in fighting, is not a "true martial artist", is valid.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I personally just find it hilarious that you, a dude on his couch, feel that your opinion that Francis Ngannou, the recent contender for the greatest HW title in fighting, is not a "true martial artist", is valid.
My dude...When did I say either or? I think he's an awesome fighter.I really have 0 clue what you're referring to.

As for CM Punk... he absolutely does not deserve to be in the UFC. I also don't think he brings other fighters in more money. Brock didn't get anyone paid anymore than PPV points and CM aint getting that much for anyone. In his first he was a co/co main event with two HW fights on the actual main event. I hate Conor, Ronda etc...But those two people actually got their opponents paid in PPV fights. Why do you think Nate Diaz is being such a shit head? I love to watch him fight, but he aint gonna see Conor money unless he actually fights Conor again.

·
The 55%
16,514 Posts
My dude...When did I say either or? I think he's an awesome fighter.I really have 0 clue what you're referring to.

As for CM Punk... he absolutely does not deserve to be in the UFC. I also don't think he brings other fighters in more money. Brock didn't get anyone paid anymore than PPV points and CM aint getting that much for anyone. In his first he was a co/co main event with two HW fights on the actual main event. I hate Conor, Ronda etc...But those two people actually got their opponents paid in PPV fights. Why do you think Nate Diaz is being such a shit head? I love to watch him fight, but he aint gonna see Conor money unless he actually fights Conor again.
You saif you never called Ngannou a true martial artist, inferring you don't believe him to be.

The income non combat transitions bring isn't direct. People like myself had a heightened awareness because of Lesnar. The hope is that Punk does the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think that CM Punk was someone that shouldn't have fought in UFC. I know that it is interesting and some of the people want to see him fight but he was really bad. It was crazy, they were saying how he trains hard and he is getting better, but none of that was true. Floyd would probably lose to a lot of MMA guys because of the ground game, but I don't think he would lose to CM Punk. Anyway Floyd would never risk fighting MMA rules and no one can beat him in boxing which is smart from him. If it would happen I would bet on Floyd, I bet on my phone on bet188. They always have the best odds and there is always something good to bet on.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CM Punk is the type of guy MMA needs to grow bigger.

People are crazy if they think bellator wouldn't sign him in a heartbeat and feed him a steady stream of taxi cab drivers and homeless ppl to pad his record into a winning one.

·
The Title Guy
16,906 Posts
Yeah for fighters with less skills Bellator is more then happy to pad guys records. Aaron Pico is the perfect example because he's pretty much been fed journeymen from the beginning and at times it's backfired. In fact he has lost to several of those journeymen.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not a fan of using the term "glass cannon" to describe Aaron Pico. What's a more respectful way of describing him?

I'm hoping his chin can rebound the way Stefan Struve's did.

·
The Title Guy
16,906 Posts
I am not saying that Aaron Pico is a glass cannon but I do believe that he is underrated. And keep in mind this is coming from a fan of wrestlers who transition to MMA. My belief is that Pico needs time to improve his skills in order to adjust.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts