Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slightly less cliche than the obligatory "what's your favorite sub" thread, but just as fun! Let's follow the same format as the submission thread. Tell us your favorite, best, and worst -- preferably with a little detail as to why.

I'll, of course, get us started.

Favorite: Pendulum/Flower Sweep, without a doubt! It feels SO awesome to pull off and it's pretty versatile. You can do it in the spur of the moment to capitalize on someone's mistake or inattention, but it's also a great way to compliment or follow up on your armbar attempts. Also goes well with gift-wrapping or any time you can secure an arm. ITZJUSTSOAWESOME!

Best: See above. Though I'm infatuated with it, as if I just learned it yesterday, the pendulum sweep has been a staple of my game for the last year or so.

Worst: Butterfly Sweep. I can land the elevator sweep (one butterfly hook) on fair occasion, but even then, not very consistently on decent people. With two hooks, I can't do crap. It's very sad. I should get to work on fixing this, considering how valuable a tool this is.

I think sweeps are cooler than subs and this topic gets me all excited. Look forward to hearing from you guys.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Here's mine. I even got to use it in a real life self defense situation once. Took all the fight out of the guy instantly. Poor guy knew just enough to know he was mounted.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's mine. I even got to use it in a real life self defense situation once. Took all the fight out of the guy instantly. Poor guy knew just enough to know he was mounted.

I love that one too -- especially how well it combos up with kimuras and guillotines.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Favourite
Mayflower/Helicopter

Use it everytime. I got my first BJJ win in a tournament with this. It's simple and effective

Best

Gotta go with the kimura sweep. If you dont have it completely right, you can just use your power to get this sweep.

Worst

I agree with the butterfly sweep. Easy to defend and I never use this.

E: I agree with you about sweeps being cooler than subs. My gameplan is always to pull guard, sweep and then finish.
( Or in tournaments L'n P)

Reactions: Kin

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Favourite
Mayflower/Helicopter

Use it everytime. I got my first BJJ win in a tournament with this. It's simple and effective

Best

Gotta go with the kimura sweep. If you dont have it completely right, you can just use your power to get this sweep.

Worst

I agree with the butterfly sweep. Easy to defend and I never use this.

E: I agree with you about sweeps being cooler than subs. My gameplan is always to pull guard, sweep and then finish.
( Or in tournaments L'n P)
I dont' feel like the technique (butterfly sweep) is the problem, so much as my execution of it. I've had guys completely pillage my village with that move, even when I knew it was coming.

I don't know the helicopter/mayflower sweep. Could you show me a vid and/or describe it to me?

De la Riva, all day.
I should really invest some time into learning some standing guard stuff. De la Riva stuff is very intriguing. I feel like such a badass when I've got my de la riva hooks even when I don't any sweeps from there.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
I prefer using my hips and legs more in sweeps, since my upper body strength isn't what it could be.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
That's why I love that kimura sweep. If you catch your opponent posturing/posting up you can really get your hips in to it and make it a powerslam sorta.

....peace?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I prefer using my hips and legs more in sweeps, since my upper body strength isn't what it could be.
It's quite possible that I just take what upper body strength I do have for granted, but I've always felt like most require a lot more hip+legs than arms. I use my arms mostly to block their post, but it's not like I'm turning them over like a steering wheel.

Then again... I guess with those standing guard sweeps, you're hardly using your arms at all.

That's why I love that kimura sweep. If you catch your opponent posturing/posting up you can really get your hips in to it and make it a powerslam sorta.

....peace?
Haha, I personally feel like the best kimura sweep is an explosively violent kimura sweep.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I dont' feel like the technique (butterfly sweep) is the problem, so much as my execution of it. I've had guys completely pillage my village with that move, even when I knew it was coming.

I don't know the helicopter/mayflower sweep. Could you show me a vid and/or describe it to me?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmgdB9M6pkA

Well my butterfly sweep execution is also horrible, but I find it rather easy to defend when somebody is doing it to me.

E: Dont bother to watch, just checked pendulum sweep and it's the same sweep. Why does the thing have so many freakin names??? (Pendulum sweep was new to me)

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmgdB9M6pkA

Well my butterfly sweep execution is also horrible, but I find it rather easy to defend when somebody is doing it to me.

E: Dont bother to watch, just checked pendulum sweep and it's the same sweep. Why does the thing have so many freakin names??? (Pendulum sweep was new to me)
Lol that does have too many names. I just watched and I was like "wtf this is just a pendulum sweep."

ANYWAYS, YOU SIR, HAVE GOOD TASTE IN SWEEPS

·
Registered
138 Posts
Lol that does have too many names. I just watched and I was like "wtf this is just a pendulum sweep."

ANYWAYS, YOU SIR, HAVE GOOD TASTE IN SWEEPS
Thank you. And thank you for teaching me a new name to that sweep :thumb02: I have had problems with those names before. (Remember when my training partner called it the mayflower sweep for the first time )

...You always learn something...

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you. And thank you for teaching me a new name to that sweep :thumb02: I have had problems with those names before. (Remember when my training partner called it the mayflower sweep for the first time )

...You always learn something...
My girlfriend calls it the helicopter sweep and I always look at her funny. I've heard of flower, but NEVER of mayflower. What distniguishes a mayflower from any other type?

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
You're very kind, guys.

If I have a partner who's my size or smaller, I can use the elevator sweep OK, but it's a total fail if my partner is any bigger than me.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Kimura sweep will work for me most of the time. I like to set it up with a head and arm sweep attempt if hes driving into me.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like the scissors sweep the best although I am better at the Kimura sweep.

Ah man beat me to it!

He is referring to the awesome moderator named Swpthleg here at MMAF! :thumb02:
That's pretty clever. I was slow on that one.

I like scissor sweep since it's the first I learned, but I'm not nearly as good at it as I would like to be. I guess I don't load the guy up on my shins well enough, 'cause often times he'll scramble over when I go for it (which is my go-to defense, as well). I like it, though, when a guy will just try to base and stay in place, 'cause then you can go to a push sweep.

You're very kind, guys.

If I have a partner who's my size or smaller, I can use the elevator sweep OK, but it's a total fail if my partner is any bigger than me.
Stephan Kesting had a good article about butterfly sweeps, which I think I'll post and study up on.

http://www.grapplearts.com/Butterfly-Guard-Sweeps.htm

Kimura sweep will work for me most of the time. I like to set it up with a head and arm sweep attempt if hes driving into me.
Kimura sweep does appear to be the favorite here.

What's head and arm sweep? Is that like the quarter-nelson neck crank sweep or something else?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts