1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/06/18/fedor-emelianenko-im-not-a-ufc-fan/

• Mike Chiappetta
    • MMA Writer
Pre-fight conference calls are generally quite routine affairs. They serve a purpose: getting quotes to reporters to pass on to the fans, but often it's a lot of words with little meaning. The fighter always has had "the best camp of my life," is in the "the best shape of his life," and has plans to win.

A few colorful characters sometimes stray from the script, but every once in a while you get something unexpected. Heavyweight MMA legend Fedor Emelianenko dropped one of those moments during Friday's Strikeforce call leading up to his fight with Fabricio Werdum on June 26. Asked by MMA Fighting why their fight was more relevant than the upcoming UFC heavyweight championship bout a week later, the usually soft-spoken Emelianenko explained that the two fights featured four world-class talents. Then, he let out a rare, pointed comment.

"I'm not a UFC fan," he said through his interpreter, Steve Bash.

After inviting fans to watch his fight, which takes place at the San Jose, Calif. HP Pavilion and airs on Showtime, Emelianenko later expounded upon his remarks.

"What I meant to say was, I'm not a fan of watching their fights," he said. "Compared to the commercials, the promotion and anticipation of their fights and the shows I've seen, there seems to be a negativity in a lot of their shows, so I'm just not a fan of watching their programs.

"In some ways how the fights are presented, and the manner that they're presented." he continued. "Also, in some ways, the actions and behavior of some of the fighters in the UFC. It takes away from the sport."

Emelianenko did not name any specific fighters or actions, instead choosing to speak in general terms. For what it's worth, both he and Werdum are considered two of the sport's classiest individuals.

Emelianenko, whose M-1 Global management team has flirted with the UFC in past negotiation talks, has two fights left on his current Strikeforce deal. He is 32-1 with one no contest in his career, a record that easily ranks among the best winning percentages in MMA history.

UFC President Dana White has repeatedly voiced an interest in signing the Russian powerhouse, but has continually voiced a frustration in dealing with M-1. Still, despite Emelianenko's pointed comments, White would likely take another crack at signing him if Strikeforce and Emelianenko do not reach a contract extension and he makes it back on the free-agent market.
Better try another angle Dana....being a dick isnt working...:thumbsup:

Thoughts??:confused02:

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
He's just going to go down as the best fighter in the world, with a big asterick next to his name. We can all agree that the best HW's are in the UFC, and Fedor isn't worried about fighting them, because there is a pretty big chance that he'd get beat.

I respect Fedor, but the fact that the UFC has offered him a ton of money, and a chance to fight the best, I could care less about ever seeing him fight again.

Keep fighting people like Werdum, Fedor.

I'd also like to add that he's trash talking the UFC, while running around with the thugs we know as "M-1".

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
He can have his opinions, I like it of course. But if I didn't like the interviews and build up of the fights but still wanted to watch just the fights, that sounds easy enough.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree that Dana can act like a douche but at the same time I appreciate how Dana is. I can not stand a person who tries to sugar coat every little thing. Dishonesty usually lies within that.
Anyway, I am starting to feel that Fedor is intimidated by the UFC's heavyweights. Honestly Fedor is a bad man but he hasn't fought the caliber of HW that the UFC has. He knows it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
He's just going to go down as the best fighter in the world, with a big asterick next to his name. We can all agree that the best HW's are in the UFC, and Fedor isn't worried about fighting them, because there is a pretty big chance that he'd get beat.

I respect Fedor, but the fact that the UFC has offered him a ton of money, and a chance to fight the best, I could care less about ever seeing him fight again.

I'd also like to add that he's trash talking the UFC, while running around with the thugs we know as "M-1".
FEDOR is one of my favourite fighters, but unless he fights the Carwins, Mirs and Lesnars there is always going to be the factor of

Possibly the best fighter ever without any definite answer imo although he's defeated many great names.
To say that UFC is full of some fighters with crappy attitudes, is hypocritical IMO after the Strikeforce brawl and things that used to go on in Pride FC.
I don't think a whole organisation can be judged by actions of some fighters, you are always going to get that with combat sports a few guys that are in it, that don't know how to act or are very aggressive, probably one of the thing that probably made some fighters exciting to watch in the 1st place, you'll always have crappy incidents in any sport regardless of organisation.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have to agree with Fedor, I haven't been much of a UFC fan since Dana took over that's for sure!

·
Banned
820 Posts
I have to agree with Fedor, I haven't been much of a UFC fan since Dana took over that's for sure!
So you hate everything post UFC 30?

·
The Title Guy
18,060 Posts
Ufc 30

Dana White has done alot to advance the sport of MMA, there is no doubt about that. Unfortunately, since he has bought out PRIDE, he has become rather arrogant with anything not related to the UFC. Look at how he treated Affliction, BodogFight, EliteXC, and the IFL. Now he is treating Strikeforce the same way and might turn on Bellator if they become too popular. His legacy as an advocate for MMA is solidified, but he is tarnishing it by fighting with anything not UFC!

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
Dana White has done alot to advance the sport of MMA, there is no doubt about that. Unfortunately, since he has bought out PRIDE, he has become rather arrogant with anything not related to the UFC. Look at how he treated Affliction, BodogFight, EliteXC, and the IFL. Now he is treating Strikeforce the same way and might turn on Bellator if they become too popular. His legacy as an advocate for MMA is solidified, but he is tarnishing it by fighting with anything not UFC!
The UFC is a business, first and foremost, and Dana White is a business man. Affliction, Bodog, and EliteXC were all competitors, and Dana has shut them all down, as any business man would do.

It's obvious that Dana has a passion for the sport, but he's protecting his investment, the same as Scott Coker does with Strikeforce.

·
The Title Guy
18,060 Posts
Investment

He might want to watch it though cause if he keeps it up he might find himself getting hit for having a monopoly!

·
Banned
820 Posts
He might want to watch it though cause if he keeps it up he might find himself getting hit for having a monopoly!
Then the NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, and the WNBA all better watch out.

·
The Title Guy
18,060 Posts
Monopolies

NBA has a developement league, MLB's smaller competitor is an organization called the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball, NFL's smaller competitor is called the United Football League, NHL has a semi-pro associate league called the American Hockey League, and the WNBA used to deal with the FIBA Women's World League, so they all aren't monopolies!

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/06/18/fedor-emelianenko-im-not-a-ufc-fan/?

Pre-fight conference calls are generally quite routine affairs. They serve a purpose: getting quotes to reporters to pass on to the fans, but often it's a lot of words with little meaning. The fighter always has had "the best camp of my life," is in the "the best shape of his life," and has plans to win.

A few colorful characters sometimes stray from the script, but every once in a while you get something unexpected. Heavyweight MMA legend Fedor Emelianenko dropped one of those moments during Friday's Strikeforce call leading up to his fight with Fabricio Werdum on June 26. Asked by MMA Fighting why their fight was more relevant than the upcoming UFC heavyweight championship bout a week later, the usually soft-spoken Emelianenko explained that the two fights featured four world-class talents. Then, he let out a rare, pointed comment.

"I'm not a UFC fan," he said through his interpreter, Steve Bash.

After inviting fans to watch his fight, which takes place at the San Jose, Calif. HP Pavilion and airs on Showtime, Emelianenko later expounded upon his remarks.

"What I meant to say was, I'm not a fan of watching their fights," he said. "Compared to the commercials, the promotion and anticipation of their fights and the shows I've seen, there seems to be a negativity in a lot of their shows, so I'm just not a fan of watching their programs.

"In some ways how the fights are presented, and the manner that they're presented." he continued. "Also, in some ways, the actions and behavior of some of the fighters in the UFC. It takes away from the sport."

Emelianenko did not name any specific fighters or actions, instead choosing to speak in general terms. For what it's worth, both he and Werdum are considered two of the sport's classiest individuals.

Emelianenko, whose M-1 Global management team has flirted with the UFC in past negotiation talks, has two fights left on his current Strikeforce deal. He is 32-1 with one no contest in his career, a record that easily ranks among the best winning percentages in MMA history.

UFC President Dana White has repeatedly voiced an interest in signing the Russian powerhouse, but has continually voiced a frustration in dealing with M-1. Still, despite Emelianenko's pointed comments, White would likely take another crack at signing him if Strikeforce and Emelianenko do not reach a contract extension and he makes it back on the free-agent market.
Could it be that the UFC hype machine is putting Fedor off? Wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yeah because Strikeforce and M-1 have so much better hype. He just can't except that the fight the week after is more relevant than him beating the hell out of Werdum.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i agree with fedor...coundowns,primetimes,hype is great before the fight,but when the fight come 70% of that fights are boring...

·
Registered
148 Posts
A big chance Fedor would get beat? Fedor already beat the top guys years ago while they were in their prime, who's to say Fedor can't do it again? He would beat Cain standing, he would beat Mir standing, he would beat Carwin somehow (probably standing) and he would probably only have difficulties fighting Brock which it would end with Brock getting KTFO standing or Fedor getting laid on and smashed to death like Mir did in both their fights.

I'm being realistic the only thing the UFC can offer us with Fedor are great fights but these fights are also pretty one sided when you think about it outside of the Brock fight and MAYBE Anderson Silva fight. It's the UFC and Dana that need to convince Fedor he needs to fight because money obviously won't.

I think Fedor is content with his legacy and as a fan I am too. If he goes to the UFC then great but if not there's no need to put an * by his name he doesn't deserve that.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts

Yup, my sentiments exactly. He may finish off his career as 50-1 but if he doesn't fight the likes of Mir, Lesnar, Carwin, etc then he hasn't really proven himself against the best in the world, I mean, I know its probably not entirely his fault, but he hasn't even fought the Strikeforce heavy weight champ.

·
Banned
820 Posts
NBA has a developement league, MLB's smaller competitor is an organization called the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball, NFL's smaller competitor is called the United Football League, NHL has a semi-pro associate league called the American Hockey League, and the WNBA used to deal with the FIBA Women's World League, so they all aren't monopolies!

You just put the MLB on the same level as the AAIPB. The D-League is basiclly minor league teams. NFL=UFL now. I have never even heard of the AHL, and a USED to.

The UFC has not run anyone out of buisness. Its the need for everyone to compete with the UFC from day-one that is running them out of buisness. THe company that is doing it the best is Bellator. Sure they have some ex-UFC fighters, but they are also showcasing their own crop. They are putting on shows left, and right. Sure this process may take some time, but atleast they will not end up bankrupt.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts