Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brett Rogers has barely any MMA experience and there were moments tonight when it looked like he was going to win and he was actually landing on Fedor and landing pretty hard and frequently.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Fedor but two fights in a row against middling opposition he has looked very mortal. Is he slowing down, or was he overrated in the first place?

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Big guy, very strong, little experience = Brock Lesner (except wrestling)
Big guy, very strong, little experience = Brett Rogers (except boxing)
Big guy, very strong, little experience = Shane Carwin (except wrestling)

·
SugaRUSH!
3,807 Posts
No offence, but you clearly don't know Fedor. He has never had that Anderson/Lyoto(pre-shogun)/GSP effect of superhumaness. His superhuman status was from fans on forums that worshipped his ability to come through every situation possible and ultimately, never lose.

If you watched(live) him getting dropped on his head by Randleman, getting taken down by Coleman, clipped by Fujita etc, you'd know that Fedor has always looked like a mortal. But his ability to get through these situations is what has made him immortal.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
The only time I would ever say he looked mortal was when Fujita rocked him, other than that I have never even seen him wince from a hit.

·
Registered
597 Posts
about 40 secs into the second round when fedor threw a flurry of punches which rogers seemed to block most of, fedor let up maybe looking to re-energize and rogers didnt attack. they just went into hooks at the cage.

definitely a missed opportunity

·
Administrator
15,489 Posts
Rogers has 2x the experience of Brock, the current UFC HW champion. The only time he was "going to win" in the fight was the ground and pound, which lasted some 3-4 seconds and Fedor was completely aware the whole time and turned it into an armbar. He also knocked him out cold on the feet, where Roger's strength is.

His last fight was Against Arlovski, who he knocked out early.

Fun facts, Rogers was ranked #6 in the world tonight, and Arlovski was ranked #2-4, both top competition and both larger than he is (Roger being much larger).

·
Registered
792 Posts
Big guy, very strong, little experience = Brock Lesner (except wrestling)
Big guy, very strong, little experience = Brett Rogers (except boxing)
Big guy, very strong, little experience = Shane Carwin (except KO power)
Fedor's handspeed looked to be slowing down a bit, but damn I think he has the heaviest hands in MMA behind Carwin.

·
Delicious Pudding
10,930 Posts
No offence, but you clearly don't know Fedor. He has never had that Anderson/Lyoto(pre-shogun)/GSP effect of superhumaness. His superhuman status was from fans on forums that worshipped his ability to come through every situation possible and ultimately, never lose.

If you watched(live) him getting dropped on his head by Randleman, getting taken down by Coleman, clipped by Fujita etc, you'd know that Fedor has always looked like a mortal. But his ability to get through these situations is what has made him immortal.
Agreed. :thumbsup:

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts

Agreed. Fedor's heart is unbeatable.

And Fedor's punching was slow? He beat a dude with an 81" reach to the punch 90% of the time. And that last KO shot was so quick I barely saw it. He closed the distance and knocked Grim out almost instantly, reminded me of an RJJ move.

I've never been interested in a Lesnar vs Fedor fight, but right now I'm definitely interested in a Lesnar vs Rogers fight. IMO Lesnar would have nothing on Grim, that dude has an iron chin and AMAZING sub defense/wrestling escape for how much he's trained.

If the UFC wasn't scared they'd copromote a fight card and have Rogers vs Lesnar, Mousasi vs Shogun, Hendo vs Silva (now that Hendo is in Strikeforce presumably)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Rogers is legit, he needs to drop some weight and go to a better camp.

Fedor is the #1 HW on the planet.

Nothing more to say.

·
Registered
792 Posts

And Fedor's punching was slow? He beat a dude with an 81" reach to the punch 90% of the time. And that last KO shot was so quick I barely saw it. He closed the distance and knocked Grim out almost instantly, reminded me of an RJJ move.
Not slow, just not as fast as it once was. Notice when he starts his flurry during the second round, it isn't the same fast, psychotic shots he landed against Goodridge and Zulu.

He does seem to be slowing just a bit, but who cares? He's still the most complete fighter of all time and nothing could change that at this point.

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts
Fedor has looked "mortal" in other fights as well. He still won those fights.

Great fighters find ways to win. Fedor finds ways to win, and that makes him great.

His punching looked pretty darn fast to me.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Rogers is legit, he needs to drop some weight and go to a better camp.

Fedor is the #1 HW on the planet.

Nothing more to say.
Rogers is definitely legit, I agree. I'm now positive that he'd best a prime Arlovski 9/10, maybe even 10/10.

Rogers + Greg Jackson = #2 HW in the world

Not slow, just not as fast as it once was. Notice when he starts his flurry during the second round, it isn't the same fast, psychotic shots he landed against Goodridge and Zulu.

He does seem to be slowing just a bit, but who cares? He's still the most complete fighter of all time and nothing could change that at this point.

I think Goodridge and Zulu didn't earn the respect/caution that Rogers earned. If it was the first flurry of the first round I'd agree, but he seemed more cautious after he realized the power and reach that Rogers had.

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
He looked slower than usual, but it's not like he never looked mortal before. He has been rocked and put in bad situations on the ground before.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Fedro looked great. He was smooth, fast, and intelligent. The fact that he got hit has a lot to do with the size of Rogers.(and the fact it was a fight :))

Fedro wins against everyone but he really doesnt have a lot of competition left in SF unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Fedor IS Mortal.
He's been in worse situations before and has come out on top.
I love how people are so quick to criticize and think he's slowing down after he just pulverized Rogers.

Its like, if Fedor doesn't decimate his opponent within the first 40 seconds then it automatically means he is starting to slow down.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I would say that Fedor probably is slowing down a bit - because that is just a fact of aging, and fighters take punishment and it wears on them. Given that, Fedor can still hit like a Mack truck. Rodgers did very well, much better on the ground then I expected. Although one would have to wonder if this went to the 3rd round wound Rodgers had any gas in the tank at all - he did not look like he had very much energy even in the early part of the 2nd round.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Fedro looked great. He was smooth, fast, and intelligent. The fact that he got hit has a lot to do with the size of Rogers.(and the fact it was a fight :))

Fedro wins against everyone but he really doesnt have a lot of competition left in SF unfortunately.
We've been dealing with that for nearly ten years now. After nearly every fight we've thought "man who's left?"

In Strikeforce he has very interesting fights against Werdum, Antonio (looked great tonight IMO), Overeem, and a rematch with Rogers. In the UFC he has the same amount or less of interesting fights.

I honestly want Fedor to walk through a few more top guys then retire. It's insane at this point how many guys he's devastated and it's sort of mind-numbing how the betting odds are getting against this guy, haha.

ROGERS on the other hand, I would love to see fight SF's top HWs, then go to fight some UFC top HWs. Man there's some interesting matchups there. IMO he beats Carwin easily (longer reach, more power + speed), defeats Lesnar after Lesnar can't GnP him and tries to stand, then beats Mir in the first round when his cockiness says to stand and bang. ;)

Definitely an exciting era for HW now though.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Do people think Fedor is slowing down because he is suposed to have slowed down by now? because i think Fedor looked great, he didnt slow down, but Rogers was a very very Tough fight, he was tailor made for Fedors so called "weaknesses".

Ive noticed alot of talk about Fedor slowing down, and nearing the end of his career, but isnt a fighter supposed to start losing before people talk like that, he has dominated all his recent fights, yet people still think that he is nearing the end of his career. I guess people just arent used to their favorite fighter ALWAYS prevailing.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts