Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right, im not bashing fedor here... it just seems that the legend that wiped through pride has to much pull in the current p4p rankings.... heres my argument

GSP... completely cominates his opponents, never really looking in any danger as of late in any of his last fights. absolute domination in the sport. fighting the best of the best WW's and making them look like B level fighters.

Anderson Silva... fought the best at MW, had never really looked under any threat apart from henderson, when all dan done was lay on him... which means **** all, its not as if he had him in some serious GNP danger. even stepped up and has made a former champion (griffin) look foolish... many even give him a serious shot at the LHW belt if shogun beats machida

BJ Penn... makes an absolute mockery of every LW you throw at him... again, domination.

now... to be considered top p4p fighter, imo you have to be constantly fighting the best.... look at mayweather in boxing, he left for a year, coems back & he was ranked about 5th by the ring magazine until he proved himself again... hes now currently in number 2 spot in most peoples eyes cause of how pacquiao dominates (a la penn, gsp, silva)

what would these 3 have to do to get number 1 in most peoples eyes... end of the day all fedor has done lately is beat Arlovski (pretty poor & not exactly a threat in todays HW division) Sylvia (next) and rogers.. impressive ko, but come on, not exactly worthy of keeping you at number 1 imo. His position as number 1 heavyweight is in doubt, simply due to the deoth of the HW division in the UFC

sorry for the rant... but what are your thoughts ?

my p4p rankings go

GSP/SILVA
PENN
FEDOR

Reactions: LOJ

·
The Fun Police
11,565 Posts
It's all opinion though isn't it?

in some people's opinion Fedor will always be P4P#1.

I believe it's what is commonly reffered to as 'Nut hugging'?

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
depends on how you look at

i always hear this P4P talk and most people seem to think it is determined by who a fighter has beat, which to some extent is true but it is more so determined on a fighters weight class dominance and A "WHAT IF" scenario

so you get people who say gsp is #1 because he beat bj who is another P4P contender so that puts him up the rankings
but bj is a LW and this is MMA not boxing the weight differences are vast so it's not entirely a valid point but holds some water but just some, if bj was the same size as gsp do you think thats how the fight would have went i think not. but gsp has shown utter domination of his opponents but in a reserved matter and while not finishing his opponents he completely shuts them down

now bj fans seem to think that BJ is #1 because he has fought at other weights and won a title at WW but relinquished it to seek other challenges only to come back and have a less than successful WW campaign so he returned to his weight which is LW and has since had a great run with dominant performances none going to a decision.

silva just toys with people in MW and LHW but is cutting to MW when he could "EASILY" make LHW instead of fighting smaller opponents but rich and nate aren't the smallest MW's either.
but out of all of them silva is probably the most dominate although he isn't necessarily fighting at his weight class.

but what this all comes down to is "WHAT IF" gsp was naturally the same size as anderson or bj the same as gsp etc.

gsp has great striking and crazy wrestling while anderson has crazy striking and meh wrestling but a highly underrated ground game and if that fight was too happen now gsp would undoubtabley be able to take him down but silva's long legs would keep him from serious harm but if they where the same size it would be much different

so you have to look at all their skills and how they would match up and i kinda think bj would be #1 he already showed great TDD against gsp (in the second fight mind you) and the best so far against gsp now imagine if they where the same size would gsp be able to take him down like the way he did before highly unlikely and the guy has the jits and striking to back him up while gsp has the striking aswell but thats it i don't see him subbing bj or Taking him down for dec.

but imagine bj against silva that would be sweet both guys with great chins going at it although i see bj having the edge on the ground.

but thats just me no doubt i will recieve neg rep from the gsp fans for this.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
I don't give a crap about P4P rankings. Never have and never will. MMA isn't about theory it is about accomplishments. All those mentioned above are elite fighters and with the possible exception of Fedor, undisputedly the best in their division.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

i always hear this P4P talk and most people seem to think it is determined by who a fighter has beat, which to some extent is true but it is more so determined on a fighters weight class dominance and A "WHAT IF" scenario

so you get people who say gsp is #1 because he beat bj who is another P4P contender so that puts him up the rankings
but bj is a LW and this is MMA not boxing the weight differences are vast so it's not entirely a valid point but holds some water but just some, if bj was the same size as gsp do you think thats how the fight would have went i think not. but gsp has shown utter domination of his opponents but in a reserved matter and while not finishing his opponents he completely shuts them down

now bj fans seem to think that BJ is #1 because he has fought at other weights and won a title at WW but relinquished it to seek other challenges only to come back and have a less than successful WW campaign so he returned to his weight which is LW and has since had a great run with dominant performances none going to a decision.

silva just toys with people in MW and LHW but is cutting to MW when he could "EASILY" make LHW instead of fighting smaller opponents but rich and nate aren't the smallest MW's either.
but out of all of them silva is probably the most dominate although he isn't necessarily fighting at his weight class.

but what this all comes down to is "WHAT IF" gsp was naturally the same size as anderson or bj the same as gsp etc.

gsp has great striking and crazy wrestling while anderson has crazy striking and meh wrestling but a highly underrated ground game and if that fight was too happen now gsp would undoubtabley be able to take him down but silva's long legs would keep him from serious harm but if they where the same size it would be much different

so you have to look at all their skills and how they would match up and i kinda think bj would be #1 he already showed great TDD against gsp (in the second fight mind you) and the best so far against gsp now imagine if they where the same size would gsp be able to take him down like the way he did before highly unlikely and the guy has the jits and striking to back him up while gsp has the striking aswell but thats it i don't see him subbing bj or Taking him down for dec.

but imagine bj against silva that would be sweet both guys with great chins going at it although i see bj having the edge on the ground.

quality break down

·
Registered
963 Posts
the way i see it, until two people fight eachother theres no way to tell whos better, its all speculation so i dont really bother caring about the p4p king rankings

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Fedor is 2nd p4p in my book. Best in his division, undefeated(his only loss is BS) and has fought more than his fair share of big names. Silva is first for shitting on people in two divisions.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Fedor is #5 behind Lyoto!

he doesn't fight top competiton anymore, you can even skip him from the top 5 if you are cold.

·
Banned
525 Posts
the way i see it, until two people fight eachother theres no way to tell whos better, its all speculation so i dont really bother caring about the p4p king rankings
Even after 2 people fight eachother, there is still no way to tell who is the better overall fighter. Just who was the better, luckier, more prepared, more whatever, figher that night. Wanderlei Silva knocked out Rampage twice. Obviously he's the better fighter. Rampage absolutely destroyed Wandy in their last match. So Rampage is the better fighter. Nope. Wanderlie was the better fighter on both the nights he beat Rampage. Rampage was the better fighter the night he beat Wandy. I'm sure there are other examples but thas the only one I could think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't give a crap about P4P rankings. Never have and never will. MMA isn't about theory it is about accomplishments. All those mentioned above are elite fighters and with the possible exception of Fedor, undisputedly the best in their division.
Good post. P4P is fun, but many people don't know the meaning of it and use incorrect(or should I say unintended) scoring criteria.

The fact that you think Silva would beat GSP or GSP beat Penn or GSP would beat Silva has nothing to do with p4p at all. P4P was just an old way for the lighter guys like Sugar Ray Robinson to get more acclaim for dominating their weight class without being compared to a heavier guy, who by extension would obviously beat them. MMA just adapted this rule from boxing.

·
Registered
597 Posts

most of what you said was good, except for the hypothetical about if bj was as big as GSP he would win. GSP has taken down 200+lb thiago alves with ease. i know you'll probably say he has to watch out for the takedown, but a bigger bj penn wont have to watch for a takedown?

plus we've seen two fights, if bj didn't learn from his first fight what makes you think he'll learn from the second. if anything the competitive disparity was even bigger in the rematch. BJ quit on the stool. he didn't come out to finish the fight.

at the same times both fighters in my opinion have improved vastly,... so maybe a third fight could have a different ending.... i doubt it though.

ill even green you up too :thumb02:

you should only neg if someone is just being a complete ass/spam IMO

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've always hated the idea of P4P rankings for MMA. The sport is too small and theres not enough room for an MMA fighter to fight in other weight classes like it is in boxing.

To me P4P makes sense in boxing but not much so in MMA until MMA grows a bit bigger. Bigger as in one organization not multiple organization. More fighters. I have no doubt in time, MMA will be as big as boxing was in its prime. But right now P4P rankings in MMA is pretty flawed.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I've always hated the idea of P4P rankings for MMA. The sport is too small and theres not enough room for an MMA fighter to fight in other weight classes like it is in boxing.

To me P4P makes sense in boxing but not much so in MMA until MMA grows a bit bigger. Bigger as in one organization not multiple organization. More fighters. I have no doubt in time, MMA will be as big as boxing was in its prime. But right now P4P rankings in MMA is pretty flawed.
As I said, P4P is really just to use a measuring stick for the smaller guys to be compared to the bigger guys. Obviously BJ Penn will lose to Fedor, however the comparison is made on what they do in their respective weight classes. P4P is decent in MMA, with the main problem it's just so subjective, there's no clear best like there is with boxing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
As I said, P4P is really just to use a measuring stick for the smaller guys to be compared to the bigger guys. Obviously BJ Penn will lose to Fedor, however the comparison is made on what they do in their respective weight classes. P4P is decent in MMA, with the main problem it's just so subjective, there's no clear best like there is with boxing.
I agree with you on being subjective. To me boxing is much easier to subject to this because the size of the divisions and the amount of boxers in ONE ORGANIZATION rather than fighters being divided.

Fedor's ranking as high is because he beat Pride Fighters that was considered the best. But it's always gonna be an issue due to him not facing UFC fighters(Current).. this wouldn't be an issue if it was one organization.

·
Registered
211 Posts
1.Silva
2.BJ
3.GSP

Although i think BJ is the most skilled / wellrounded of the 3. Silva has just dominated everyone in the UFC, so he has to get the 1st spot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Fedor is clearly top 3 p4p, but i would really like to see him versus the top heavyweights right now. He fights Lesnar, Carwin, and wins then i give him top p4p. Until that happens i think Silva and Penn may have a slight edge.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Fedor is 2nd p4p in my book. Best in his division, undefeated(his only loss is BS) and has fought more than his fair share of big names. Silva is first for shitting on people in two divisions.
Well that's exactly the point isn't it? Fedor's last taste of REAL competition (IMO) was against CroCop... Three years ago.

Point:
Fedor has fought the best of the best.

Anderson Silva, BJ Penn and Georges St. Pierre are fighting the best of the best.

"The title of 'Best in the World' is not a static title, it must be constantly proven."

That's EXACTLY what being #1 P4P is, it's being the best in the world, bar none.

1. Silva
2. Penn
3. GSP
4. Fedor

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well that's exactly the point isn't it? Fedor's last taste of REAL competition (IMO) was against CroCop... Three years ago.

Point:
Fedor has fought the best of the best.

Anderson Silva, BJ Penn and Georges St. Pierre are fighting the best of the best.

"The title of 'Best in the World' is not a static title, it must be constantly proven."

That's EXACTLY what being #1 P4P is, it's being the best in the world, bar none.

1. Silva
2. Penn
3. GSP
4. Fedor
Exactly, it's not a career award or title it's a "what have you done for me lately", it's basically who's the fighter who's dominating the best fighters currently and who's on the biggest tear right now. I personally would rank Aldo above Fedor especially if he beats Urijah. Fedor has fought the best... years ago

·
Senior Member.
324 Posts
How Penn is ranked higher than GSP doesn't even makes sense logically..

Fedor I can't put forth as best in the world. Simply put, he needs into the UFC and fight the HW's there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts