Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this will probably be Fedor's next fight (see quote below). Winner gets a shot @ Alistair Overeem for the 'undefended in over 2 years' HW title..

I don't see how Werdum wins this tbh. I give him a very small chance in this fight (~15%) and that is IF he shows up in great shape. He doesn't match up well with Fedor, who imo beats him everywhere including on the ground. I wouldn't be shocked if Fedor subbed him tbh.

My prediction is Fedor TKO's him in round 1 or 2 after toying with him on the ground for a little while.

“We know Alistair (Overeem) will be fighting in the first quarter of next year. Depending on the outcome of this fight and the next, we can work on putting a fight together. You see the match up potential between the winner of the Silva vs. Werdum fight and the winner of the Fedor vs. Rogers fight. I think it would make sense for those two guys to fight each other in the future depending on how things go. Then, Alistair can come in later and fight the winner of that fight. We have some great heavyweight fights upcoming and we are looking forward to promoting them. I believe Alistair will be available in the first quarter. We will get him in the mix as well as some other heavyweights we will announce here in the next week or so.”

– Strikeforce Founder and CEO, Scott Coker, lays out the likely plan for his heavyweight division during a recent press conference to promote the “Fedor vs. Rogers” event this weekend at the Sears Center in Hoffman Estates, Illinois.
mmamania.com

Discuss.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Overeem is still in strikeforce?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't understand why Fedor would still have to fight for a #1 contendership ..

·
Registered
437 Posts
Fedor should wait for Overeem imo. The Werdum fight doesn't make sense, I can't see it even being competitive tbh.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Considering Antonio Silva dropped Werdum almost every time he touched him, what would Fedor, who is quicker and hits harder, do? Hard to imagine Werdum not getting KO'd or TKO'd almost immediately.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Ummm....why would Fedor be fighting for #1 contender? He should fight Overeem, have the belt and spend the rest of his time making people look stupid. They spent too much $$$ to let Fedor ***** foot around on non-title matches.

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
Ummm....why would Fedor be fighting for #1 contender? He should fight Overeem, have the belt and spend the rest of his time making people look stupid. They spent too much $$$ to let Fedor ***** foot around on non-title matches.
Pretty much, Werdum may have earned a shot by stringing wins together, or at least brought himself close, but Fedor would cake walk through him in the first round.

But doesn't Overeem say he has no plans on fighting Fedor? Must be terrified of that drugs test.

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because that's what Coker said they were gonna do.

A few days ago he stated they're doing a HW tourney, winner of Fedor/Brett faces winner of Werdum/Silva for a title shot at Overeem.

I agree with you but Im not the one to decide those things lol

·
Registered
536 Posts
Nah. I think they should just put Fedor in there against Overeem. After all, he is Fedor.

·
Registered
963 Posts
the thing is though even if he fights overeem and beats who, who else is he gonna fight in strikforce? though i agree that werdum has little to no chance in this match up

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
DOes anyone rally care about overeem? they should just give the belt to Fedor and quit wasting peoples time. ONce he easily gets that belt only one thing left to do. Ufc here I come.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
I wouldn't be pumped for this fight at all.

It just doesn't appeal to me.

Werdum is a beast but his striking leaves so many holes open Fedor's gonna drop him hard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts