Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like some mistakes by the event organizers. I'm not sure inexperienced fighters should be fighting that often, and not having professional medical personnel on hand is inexcusable. Tragic for everyone involved.

A 34-year-old Georgia woman has died after a Thai-style kickboxing match in Florida.

Adrienne Simmons, an Atlanta native who wanted to be a teacher, was knocked unconscious by a left-hook during the third round of an amateur bout.

She reportedly regained consciousness while being treated by a ringside doctor, and complained of nausea.

Once she was taken back to the locker rooms, the extent of her injury became apparent. Officials were forced to call 911 because there were no EMT personnel or an ambulance on hand.

Simmons’ boyfriend, Chike Lindsay-Ajudua, told a local TV station that it took an hour to get her to an operating room at an Orlando hospital. Emergency surgery failed to thwart brain swelling, and Simmons died soon thereafter.

“The swelling could have been stopped earlier,” Lindsay-Ajudua said. “I'm sure that could have been avoided.”

The Muay Thai style involves kicking, punching, kneeing and elbowing. Simmons was wearing headgear, but experts have long questioned whether that sort of protection does much good against rotational head injuries such as the ones that cause concussions.

Simmons was also reportedly fighting in her third match of the weekend – a dangerously high workload that no professional boxer or mixed-martial arts fighter would be subjected to.

It’s believed that Simmons is the second woman to die during a competitive fight.

Becky Zerlentes, a 34-year-old college instructor, died after being knocked out in a 2005 women’s boxing match in Denver.

The opponent who delivered the blow to Simmons, Lindsay Scheer, posted messages of condolence on her Facebook page.

“I have been inconsolable since that moment,” Scheer wrote, according to the Daily Mail. “I did not know what it really felt like to cry. I was and am broken.

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
No emergency medical team and third fight in a weekend, anyone know if that is actually legal?

The EMT I'd think would atleast definitely be against regulations for sure.

Sympathies to the fighter, especially since it seems it could have been avoided.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
****ing florida... bunch of hillbillies running things down there. (no offence hogh, you're high class)

I can't imagine the anger I would have inside if my girlfriend or wife died because she couldn't get aid soon enough. Seriously.. I was about to eat but now I'm bummed. I feel so bad for this guy.

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
I feel bad but I wouldnt fight in a place where theres no EMT on scene....theres to many what-if......and this is the worst case what-if.......

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
We have local events here, and while there are EMT's on hand, they don't do shit. I'm not going to speak for all of them, but a friend of mine got KO'd one night, starting vomiting, and they sat over in the corner and watched.

It's a sad situation, and it's times like these where you realize that the UFC does care about fighter safety.

·
Banned
0 Posts
****ing florida... bunch of hillbillies running things down there. (no offence hogh, you're high class)

I can't imagine the anger I would have inside if my girlfriend or wife died because she couldn't get aid soon enough. Seriously.. I was about to eat but now I'm bummed. I feel so bad for this guy.

Reallly???? Hillbillies, you got us confused with Alabama where your mother is your sister and your aunt is your cousin.....SJ you are from Nova Scotia??? An article stopped you from eating....Really....Really???

Before you criticise the cusine you should try it, one week down in Florida with me and I bet you dont wanna go home....

As far as not having Medical Staff on hand, that would be more a Promotional issue than Florida.....:thumbsup: Let me know when u wanna come, welll have HOGH drive down from Central Florida and we'll do this shit proper!!!!:thumbsup:

@ Urban....please tell me that isnt Charlie Z in your AVY.....:pray01:

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
you took offense to something that is a pretty well known generalization. :p Florida isn't exactly a straight-laced place.

I know the states, and their reputations pretty well, so I don't feel out of place making the generalization at all. Nova scotia is just forrests, beaches, cliffs, drunks, potheads, and churches. That's IT. No need for generalization.

Florida is a loose place, I've been there twice. I had fun, but I wanted to come home badly. This is not a debate of where the best place to live should be, no one should be looking for that argument.

Next time I go, I'll hang out with Hit maybe...... we are the same age. I am staying away from you!! (jk)

On TOPIC. This DID disgust me and I couldn't eat at the time of posting.

I was affected by a very emotional situation that's happening to someone right now. You can think about your mate dying because she could not get medical attention, as in: her life could have been saved and she did not need to die, and not feel a little 'off'?

For the record, I ate my food 5 minutes later, and I think I'm pretty human about the whole situation.

·
Banned
0 Posts
you took offense to something that is a pretty well known generalization. :p Florida isn't exactly a straight-laced place.

I know the states, and their reputations pretty well, so I don't feel out of place making the generalization at all. Nova scotia is just forrests, beaches, cliffs, drunks, potheads, and churches. That's IT. No need for generalization.

Florida is a loose place, I've been there twice. I had fun, but I wanted to come home badly. This is not a debate of where the best place to live should be, no one should be looking for that argument.

Next time I go, I'll hang out with Hit maybe...... we are the same age. I am staying away from you!! (jk)

On TOPIC. This DID disgust me and I couldn't eat at the time of posting.

I was affected by a very emotional situation that's happening to someone right now. You can think about your mate dying because she could not get medical attention, as in: her life could have been saved and she did not need to die, and not feel a little 'off'?

For the record, I ate my food 5 minutes later, and I think I'm pretty human about the whole situation.
I just think you are generalizing some place you went to twice......and really I didnt take offense I just think it isnt a State think its the Promotions responsibility....

Florida by no means is the best place to live, there was no debate or argument there, just lack of understanding how the promotion gets no blame????

Im not sure what you mean by straight laced,that is a very general statement, and for someone that doesnt live in the states and has only visited, dont you think its slightly ignorant to just make a claim that "you know the states and their reps"....:confused02:

Either way I can relate to having my best friend die because Medical attention was not there, and they would have lived.....so I know how you feel. Florida also has some of the toughest laws in the States and if this event wasnt "run" correctly in terms of having correct medical staff on site....again I find more fault with the promo than the state......had the state failed to mandate that would be a different story....but it does. Never about where to live....Im not debating that at all....i have lived here over 25 yrs so i was kinda wondering what "not straight laced means"....Dana brought the UFC here for fight nights....you nver here any of these things happening then......it's the promotion not the State...

As far as commin to Florida your welcome to see HOGH only (JK) but I promise you will have a better time down here by me 20 mins from South Beach.......that is unlesss you dont like females walking around basically naked and party's that last for days....we have pretty good pot here too....:D

I think you do....:thumb02:

What made you want to come home badly???? Curious:confused02:

EDIT: LOL, SJ age is just a number buddy!!! I'm 31 and look about 25, so I get em in....

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
This sucks so bad. It enrages me that there weren't EMTs there, and that promotion is definitely at fault for allowing/encouraging any fighter to fight 3 times in a weekend.

This could happen anywhere, with a sleazy promotion that doesn't protect their fighters like they should, IMO.

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
I get that your saying CC that it's the promotions fault, since really it is, but isn't stuff like this not meant to be monitored and regulated by a governing/sanctioning body?

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
A large part of Florida is pretty backwoods/trashy specifically the pan handle. Probably the top 5 most ******* people I know are from Florida and I live in Virginia and have lived in central Pennsylvania and Appalachia. A lot of it is very multicultural and upper class also. Pretty much every state is that way except for the ones that are almost nothing but country. Canada is like 70% hillbillies.

This is a really disappointing story, the lack of EMTs and an ambulance at a contact sporting event is just stupid. I don't think the 3 fights in a weekend thing is as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Kickboxers will have 3 fights in a night. If these were over a weekend we probably need to question what kind of medical follow up occurred after each fight.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
I getcha now CC, and my "opinions on Florida" have everything to do with what I've heard in pop culture (Howard Stern, Jason Ellis, The Internet) former residents, etc and I definitely didn't mean something like this could only happen in Florida.

BUT, If I am her mate, I'm suing the state of Florida for loose regulations, not only for money, but for changes and for more strict requirements to be made. The promotion has nothing to offer the family. That is just the truth!

North America is like 70% hillbillies.
Fixed.

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
It sickens me that these events, whereever they may be held, are lacking the proper security and health care for the fighters... If EMTs aren't present the event should be illegal, simple as that...

I really feel for the fighters family and loved ones, but also for the opponent, what a horrible thing to experience :/

When in the hell are the smaller combat sports-promoters going to realize that getting rid of the cock-fighting stigma is more important than a few quick bucks? :(

A sad day indeed

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Very unfortunate, a big tragedy imo.
I just hope this kind of news won't come our way ever again.
And in the future, organizers of any combat sports events, will have everything available (doctors, medical equipment), so that this kind of tragedy never happens again.

Condoleances to the family.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I get that your saying CC that it's the promotions fault, since really it is, but isn't stuff like this not meant to be monitored and regulated by a governing/sanctioning body?
Not honestly sure, I think every event should be sanctioned but it really comes down to the type of event this was, semi pro, amateur....i dont now what it was, but if they arent sanctioned it would surprise me because the UFC was when they came here.....

I getcha now CC, and my "opinions on Florida" have everything to do with what I've heard in pop culture (Howard Stern, Jason Ellis, The Internet) former residents, etc and I definitely didn't mean something like this could only happen in Florida.

BUT, If I am her mate, I'm suing the state of Florida for loose regulations, not only for money, but for changes and for more strict requirements to be made. The promotion has nothing to offer the family. That is just the truth!

Fixed.

Once you come party with me bud, you will be pro Florida, here are hillbillies, lets face it they are everywhere....luckily....they are no where near me....Im near all the action and ATT of Creek is down the road.....you tellin me you wouldnt wanna swing by there????:confused02: yeah you would.....:thumb02:

Side Note: Ever bang a hillbilly broad???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts