Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are other threads about the LW Title fight, but I didn't see this topic too much.

Did anyone else notice how much Kenflo was grabbing the fence? Not just at the end, it seemed like there was a LOT of blatant fence grabbing.
I know the ref can't see everything, and I mean, I've never had to be that guy so who knows, just seemed like it was happening a LOT and he didn't really get warned til the 5th.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Why does the UFC have this rule?

Rule :You are not allowed to grab on to the fence.
Why do people grab the fence, to avoid takedown most of the time.
Rule: Its okay to push the guys head against the fence.
I believe Matt Hughes does this a lot. I have never tried but I assume its very uncomfortable, and I wont make it asier for you to get up if your opponent is on top of you and pushing your head against the fence.

Why does the UFC have these rules? Seems to me like they have them to give wrestlers and grapplers an advantage over strikers. What do you think?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Team Punishment said:
Yes my KenFlo was grabbing the fence a lot, stupid Sherk and his take downs >:[.
Your sig is bad ass, my man.

As far as the fence grabbing goes, there was quite a bit of it. But he got warned when it was affecting the fight, and that's what matters. It's almost instinct to do it at times when you need that extra leverage.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fullcontact said:

I believe Matt Hughes does this a lot. I have never tried but I assume its very uncomfortable, and I wont make it asier for you to get up if your opponent is on top of you and pushing your head against the fence.

Why does the UFC have these rules? Seems to me like they have them to give wrestlers and grapplers an advantage over strikers. What do you think?

I really have no idea, it is an interesting question though.
...and no, having your head pushed into the fence is not comfortable.

·
Registered
612 Posts
because i think kenny was grabing quickly to move himself and let go, he did this many times yes. but he never grabbed and just held on for long times (except that one slam) so i think the ref never really got a chance to say anything it was so quick.

And there is one time when they were onthe ground (of coarse) na di herd the ref tell kenny like 3 times to stop grabbing the fence so the ref caught it but didint issue a warning.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Steve-d said:
because i think kenny was grabing quickly to move himself and let go, he did this many times yes. but he never grabbed and just held on for long times (except that one slam) so i think the ref never really got a chance to say anything it was so quick.

And there is one time when they were onthe ground (of coarse) na di herd the ref tell kenny like 3 times to stop grabbing the fence so the ref caught it but didint issue a warning.
That's exactly right. A lot of fighters do that, too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
fullcontact said:

Tank abbott is the king of the face crushing into the fence hehe...

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
its a punk move imo. but i think its just instinct for alot of guys. so what can you say. until you are up in the air and about to get slammed on your head it's hard to say what you will do. im in the habit of going for the guillotine. because you usally land with them in your guard and you can sometimes position yourself so they basically are just slamming their own face on the ground..

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ok just to clear this up.

You can use the fence to roll yourself, you cannot hold the fence to hold yourself up.

And yes Chuck use's the fence alot, alot of strikers do, same with Tim Sylvia

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spit206Fire said:
Ok just to clear this up.

You can use the fence to roll yourself, you cannot hold the fence to hold yourself up.

And yes Chuck use's the fence alot, alot of strikers do, same with Tim Sylvia

Hmm... The Rule States "23. Holding the ropes or the fence."

As a foul, from UFC.com
So I don't see why you would be able to hold it to roll yourself?

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pt447 said:
hey, maybe when the UFC has a way to actually enforce such rules... it won't be a factor...

Yeah, I understand they can't see everything.
I like big jon, lets clone him?

·
Registered
80 Posts
The alternatives(ring) would make it so the UFC is not unique. The grabs on the fence are just a reflex. There are warnings that happen but no reprocutions? The ropes get grabbed all the time. Maybe and underground wire that shocks the fighters would work out best?

·
I eat babies
7,647 Posts
Kenny grabbed the fence every time Sherk finally passed his guard, that's why the fight never finished. Sherk could have had mount several times but everytime he did KenFlo would grab hold of the fence and stand up. Kenny didn't use hardly any jui jitsu to get out of danger, most of the time it was cuz he grabbed the fence to get up. I think it's ok to do it a couple times, it's understandable, but to do it as many times as kenny did is just uncalled for.

They should tape your fist closed with duct tape if you grab the fence for benefit more than twice in a fight. Kenny completely changed the outcome of this fight because of illegal fence grabbing.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"They should tape your fist closed with duct tape if you grab the fence for benefit more than twice in a fight. Kenny completely changed the outcome of this fight because of illegal fence grabbing."

Quote of the thread

·
I eat babies
7,647 Posts
AtomDanger said:
"They should tape your fist closed with duct tape if you grab the fence for benefit more than twice in a fight. Kenny completely changed the outcome of this fight because of illegal fence grabbing."

Quote of the thread

Are you saying it's a good quote or a stupid quote?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.