Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
The cage feel is kind of cool and the hazard of nearly falling out of the ring in Pride can stifle the action. Having said that with Pride's ring the audience seem so much nearer and there's a clearer view and feel of the atmosphere in the arena.

Pride still has the best atmosphere so at a push I think I'll say..........rope.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Cage is where its at.

The reason i dislike Pride is i believe strongly that they are cowards, expecially after this weekend. When silva came out and said Liddells dodging him i felt like shooting him i was so angry, and then calling him out to fight at pride? wtf, as i remember you were SUPPOSED to fight him in the UFC in Nov, now your saying he ran away from fighting in his own organization and now calling him out to fight in yours would be the right thing to do?

Its really stupid, and honestly i hate the announcers and alot of the entrance's and shit to, i feel like i should be turning on my xbox to play WWE or some fighting game, its pretty stupid lol.

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
BeaCoN said:
Which do you prefer for MMA?

I like the fence. Ropes seem to be a pain.
MMA isn't about gimmicks... so Plain implies you "buy into" the cage. i like the ropes since it is more professional and cannot be used to any advantage!

·
Banned
8,796 Posts
I prefer the cage, it makes it more of a spectacle. I don't like the boxing ring, ropes just provide a hassle for the fighters. The cage on the other hand in itself can be used as a weapon, and means to escape. Fighters can spin out of the guard using the cage, displaying their resourcefulness. Although it was kind of cheap, Kenny Florian's grabbing of the cage was entertaining, especially when Sherk got dropped on his head DDT style lol. However, I think the means of using the cage to escape from a ground and pound position makes the fight more unpredictable and exciting to watch.

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
Fedor>all said:
I prefer the cage, it makes it more of a spectacle. I don't like the boxing ring, ropes just provide a hassle for the fighters. The cage on the other hand in itself can be used as a weapon, and means to escape. Fighters can spin out of the guard using the cage, displaying their resourcefulness. Although it was kind of cheap, Kenny Florian's grabbing of the cage was entertaining, especially when Sherk got dropped on his head DDT style lol. However, I think the means of using the cage to escape from a ground and pound position makes the fight more unpredictable and exciting to watch.
so, you like that the fighters, who are trying to represent as pure a true fight as possible, can use the cage as a weapon? you like that it, undeniably, favors some fighters over others?

and yet the ropes help nobody?

ok:dunno:

·
F*ck You I Rhyme Better
2,458 Posts
Spit206Fire said:
Cage is where its at.

The reason i dislike Pride is i believe strongly that they are cowards, expecially after this weekend. When silva came out and said Liddells dodging him i felt like shooting him i was so angry, and then calling him out to fight at pride? wtf, as i remember you were SUPPOSED to fight him in the UFC in Nov, now your saying he ran away from fighting in his own organization and now calling him out to fight in yours would be the right thing to do?

Its really stupid, and honestly i hate the announcers and alot of the entrance's and shit to, i feel like i should be turning on my xbox to play WWE or some fighting game, its pretty stupid lol.

actually... chuck was supposed to fight wanderlei in pride back in 2003. then he got TKO'd by Quinton and Dana wouldnt let it go down anymore..and chuck has called wanderlei out like that many of times... and brags about how he can take wanderlei in only 1 round.. so basically.. what wanderlei said is true.. if your not gonna come fight me in pride.. keep my name out your mouth

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
Organik said:
actually... chuck was supposed to fight wanderlei in pride back in 2003. then he got TKO'd by Quinton and Dana wouldnt let it go down anymore..and chuck has called wanderlei out like that many of times... and brags about how he can take wanderlei in only 1 round.. so basically.. what wanderlei said is true.. if your not gonna come fight me in pride.. keep my name out your mouth
right on! thanks for clearing that up for those who don't know the whole story. i would have, but wasn't 100% sure of the facts and also, too lazy to research and write it down.;)

·
Banned
8,796 Posts
pt447 said:
so, you like that the fighters, who are trying to represent as pure a true fight as possible, can use the cage as a weapon? you like that it, undeniably, favors some fighters over others?

and yet the ropes help nobody?

ok:dunno:
Alright, I understand what you're saying. I agree that the fight should stay a pure fight, but I don't think I'd say using the cage to escape is a weapon, as I don't approve of Florian's maneuver on Sherk. Resourcefulness is a skill all fighters have, some more than others. The more knowledge of where you are in the cage/ring and how to get out of certain situations, is just as imperative to winning a fight as knocking someone out or making them tap.

I'm not sure how the ropes really help as much either, the fact that the fighters could possibly fall out of the ring (which has happened) further proves my point that the cage is a better battleground, as the fighters remain contained.

·
The Reverend
1,889 Posts
Kameleon said:
Neither.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. As for the entrances, that's what sets the production value above UFC or any other MMA organization with the exception of K-1.

I agree with the advantages and disadvantages of both... I dont think better entrances mean better production... i mean the vignettes between matches sucked on Pride, cuz they used raw footage over PPV to look normal, but used the sound from inside the stadium as they showed it there, making it echoey and kinda low.... i dont know if that normal, or just limitations of a new venue... but it sucked. i thought the announcer and entrances were gimmicky, but that pretty normal for a Japanese show... thats just what their into, they love pro wrestling and boxing the same way.

now this sint me saying Pride sucks.... just my complaints on them. Their fighters are very good and established, while at the moment UFC is now comming out of "running in the red", so they were and probably still will try and create new stars.

now that i got a lil off topic... i like the cage. cuz going into a fight no one says, "i hope this looks good" or "this better be PURE fighting" no they go in to win and nothing more.... i think the cage gives both fighters an edge at winning, if you know how to use it... thats just me though...

plus it reminds me of Mad Max "TWO MEN ENTER! ONE MAN LEAVE!" :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.