Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You all have jumped all over anyone who mentions fight fixing but in reality it goes on all the time and it has been going on in the UFC for a while. I'm not saying that fighters have taken dives but I think it's pretty safe to say that the careers of some title holders have been, hmm, shall we say intentionally prolonged by strategically having them fight lesser/green/over the hill opponents.

For instance, have you ever asked yourself how it could be that American fighters hold all these UFC titles when it's actually a relatively new sport in that country? Well, who is the UFC target audience? Who's tuning into Spike TV every week and who's ordering the pay-per-view shows? A bunch a flag waving, Budweiser drinking, "USA # 1" chanting 20 somethings. What kind of "champion" do you think appeals to them?

Think about it.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Mr. Bungle said:
You all have jumped all over anyone who mentions a fight fixing but in reality it goes on all the time and it has been going on in the UFC for a while. I'm not saying that fighters have taken dives but I think it's pretty safe to say that the careers of some title holders have been, hmm, shall we say intentionally prolonged by strategically having them fight lesser/green/over the hill opponents.

For instance, have you ever asked yourself how it could be that American fighters hold all these UFC titles when it's actually a relatively new sport in that country? Well, who is the UFC target audience? Who's tuning into Spike TV every week and who's ordering the pay-per-view shows? A bunch a flag waving, Budweiser drinking, "USA # 1" chanting 20 somethings. What kind of "champion" do you think appeals to them?

Think about it.

lmao, You started to make a point in the first paragraph, and then you ruined your own point and made yourself sound stupid.

Asked myself how could it be that American fighters how all the UFC titles when its a new sport in this country? WTF

Well, The Gracies brought UFC here, what? 10 years ago?
Its an AMERICAN organization, so of course they make it to appeal as much as possible to AMERICAN fans.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Mr. Bungle said:
Thank you for agreeing with me that the UFC compromises talent and skill to appeal to their target audience.

I appreciate it :)

I honestly don't think anyone can deny that. It isn't thier job to souly have the best fighters on the planet fight, it has to entertain.
Or thier wouldn't be any money, it doesn't matter if you like it or not, sports are about just that. MONEY

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Mr. Bungle said:
Okay, than I guess we can put it in the same category as professional wrestling and American Gladiators...

I'm fine with that.

If you don't like it, why post in the UFC section?

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Mr. Bungle said:
Really?

Are they?

I disagree...whenever you have a fight where the outcome is known beforehand I would call that fixed.

How is it KNOWN? Jens Pulver just got caught by some kid no one gave a shot to, was that fixed?
I bet the two AA losses to Tim Silvia were fixed too right?

pfft, you're a fan the sport doesn't need.
Sometimes, they can't GET the best competition, they can't MAKE people come to the UFC.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Mr. Bungle said:
Maybe it only bothers people who are truly passionate about the sport and want it to remain as real and uncorrupted as possible...maybe it only bothers true fans.

True fans of what? FIGHTING?

This isn't that, go to the bar if you are a fan of fighting.
MMA has become a sport, like it or not...

Do you feel the same about every other sport? I mean shit, my hockey team doesn't play teams from all over the world every year, so thier games are fixed!
pfft.

The UFC is ONE company, I think they do an OK job of getting talent and getting good fights. I am an MMA and UFC fan...

·
Registered
243 Posts
thank god bundle somebody besides myself knows fight fixing happens.can we prove no.but when u watch a true champ fight like a amaeteur somethings up.rich in my opinion did just that.im also tired of hearing what a tai clinch.single,double leg t downs body lock for mount,or just basic swim move for easy escape.sorry just to sit there and take knee after knee to the body.rich is not that naive or bad.in a real fight he would have 1 of the 4 things for bettering his position.carlos newton took him down 6 times....

·
Registered
457 Posts
The competition in the WW division of the UFC right now is world class. There are at least four guys that are legitimate contenders and would be so in any federation.

The issue with the UFC is that no other division has such depth. MW, LHW, and HW are all thin. If you look at the payouts another poster provided you start to understand why the UFC doesn't always attract the best fighters.

But they still make the best of what they have. They've lined up guys to fight Hughes, Franklin, Liddell, and Sylvia. Except for a few young guys still putting together resumes, deserving fighters get their title shots.

For the UFC to get better fights, they need to make more money, and for them to do that, they need to have better events and get better coverage. It's not like they aren't trying. The television show is a hit and it will help them bring in guys like Silva. It has to start somewhere.

And I maintain that having Pride come to the US is a good thing for both feds.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
matt1970 said:
thank god bundle somebody besides myself knows fight fixing happens.can we prove no.but when u watch a true champ fight like a amaeteur somethings up.rich in my opinion did just that.im also tired of hearing what a tai clinch.single,double leg t downs body lock for mount,or just basic swim move for easy escape.sorry just to sit there and take knee after knee to the body.rich is not that naive or bad.in a real fight he would have 1 of the 4 things for bettering his position.carlos newton took him down 6 times....

Wait... let me get this straight.......

You think Rich faught and lost to an ametuer? O_O
Rich has what? 22 fights as a pro? Anderson has 21?
In places like Pride and Vale Tudo....

1 - 20 of 77 Posts