Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i know there is sill 4 months and some great fights left this year, but 2/3 of the way through the year and i'm trying to think what has been the best fight so far this year, i managed to narrow down to a list of 10 - what you guys reckon? Any fight i've missed out?

10. Hathaway Vs Sanchez (UFC 114)
9. Maynard Vs Diaz (FN: Diaz/Maynard)
8. Leben Vs Akiyama (UFC 116)
7. Penn Vs Edgar (UFC 112)
6. Bonnar Vs Soszynski (UFC 116)
5. Condit Vs MacDonald (UFC 115)
4. JDS Vs Nelson (UFC 117)
3. Stout Vs Stephens (UFC 113)
2. Barry Vs Cro Cop (UFC 115)
1. Anderson Vs Chael (UFC 117)

Hounarable mentions to: Carwin Vs Brock (UFC 116) and Howard Vs Ellenberger (UFC on Versus 2)

·
Registered
375 Posts
A couple of those are pretty one sided fights. I.e Nelson JDS and Hataway Sanchez, it's just one fighter getting picked apart for the majority of 3 rounds. What made you decide to put them on your list?
Personally I'd go with Jung vs Garcia from WEC, it was just a slugfight, but entertaining as hell to watch.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
So far this year the two most memorable and enjoyable fights to me were Chael Sonnen vs. Anderson Silva and Leben vs. Akiyama. I loved both of those fights.

And, surprisingly, wasn't a big fan of Zombie vs. Garcia. Never really liked that fight. *shrug*

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple of those are pretty one sided fights. I.e Nelson JDS and Hataway Sanchez, it's just one fighter getting picked apart for the majority of 3 rounds. What made you decide to put them on your list?
Personally I'd go with Jung vs Garcia from WEC, it was just a slugfight, but entertaining as hell to watch.
I'm doing it purely on the fights i've enjoyed the most and most entertained me tbh. Which isn't always the really even back and forth fights - JDS/Nelson and Hathaway/Sanchez just got me out of my seat

>Zombie garcia not 1
>Leben Aki only 8
Clearly trolling list is clearly trolling

since we're doin lists.
Ummmm last time i looked this was the UFC section and Jung/Garcia was in WEC... That's why it isn't in there. F**k off to Sherdog and do your trolling there you gimp

·
Registered
419 Posts
in no particular order...
Mark Hominick vs Yves Jabouin @ WEC 49
Jim Miller vs Mark Bocek @ UFC 111
Rory Macdonald v. Carlos Condit @ UFC 115
Leonard Garcia v. Chan Sung Jung @ WEC 48
Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua vs Lyoto Machida 2 @ UFC 113
Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski @ UFC 116

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
big ups to sam stout/jeremy stevens fight. that was a great fight. but i think at the end of the year that sonnen beating and then the silva's, nogera like sub in the fifth is gonna get the nod. great buildup to a great fight rarely happens and that one was probably one of the greatest fights of all time.

·
Registered
615 Posts
garcia vs the korean zombie and leben vs akiyama

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
List needs more GSP Vs Hardy!
For fight of the year?

You must have had a big emotional investment in that one.

That's how I rate 'em too. Not by what actually happened in the fight but, by how much time I spend on my feet yelling and punching the air.

So far this year nothing comes close to Lesnar/Carwin and Silva/Sonnen.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For fight of the year?

You must have had a big emotional investment in that one.

That's how I rate 'em too. Not by what actually happened in the fight but, by how much time I spend on my feet yelling and punching the air.

So far this year nothing comes close to Lesnar/Carwin and Silva/Sonnen.
Exactly. It's all a matter of opinion and MMA fans enjoy different things. I've been called a troll on this thread because Leben/Akiyama is low on my list.
I come from a boxing and kickboxing background so personally i prefer watching very technical stand up fights to slugfests, So seeing an expert Judo practitioner outstrike a very sloppy striker for 2 rounds and then gas completely isn't gonna be my fav fight of the year. I don't argue it was entertaining and i did like it - Other fights just got me going more!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Exactly. It's all a matter of opinion and MMA fans enjoy different things. I've been called a troll on this thread because Leben/Akiyama is low on my list.
I come from a boxing and kickboxing background so personally i prefer watching very technical stand up fights to slugfests, So seeing an expert Judo practitioner outstrike a very sloppy striker for 2 rounds and then gas completely isn't gonna be my fav fight of the year. I don't argue it was entertaining and i did like it - Other fights just got me going more!
I like boxing and kickboxing, but id rather watch a chael sonnen fight than a chris leben fight. good luck getting that stance to catch on. seriously what the 'f?

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Hathway vs Sanchez? Penn vs Edgar? MAYNARD VS DIAZ!? I don't agree with those three but the rest definitely belong there, probably in a different order though.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
In no specific order:

Akiyama vs Leban
Sonnen vs Silva
MacDonald vs Condit

I think there were more great fights early in the year, just can't for the life of me make my damn brain work right!

Overall if I had to pick one fight that was the best, it would be Sonnen vs Silva, more to do with the was Sonnen was dominating on the ground, and unexpectedly doing very well standing, and the left-field style finish right before the end!

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
JDS/Nelson is by far fight of the year so far.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.