Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
i am 100% sure it is a mistake, and he was actually fighting at LHW. That's still impressive though, perhaps a tough cut is part of the reason he died.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
A prime example of the dangers of cutting far too much weight without a proper program to rehydrate or to cut properly.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
i am 100% sure it is a mistake, and he was actually fighting at LHW. That's still impressive though, perhaps a tough cut is part of the reason he died.
I've seen his picture at another site. He is a LW and looks like a freak.

Sad news, but I wonder if he was cutting weight and his body/brain probably couldnt handle it.......

·
Administrator
15,546 Posts
Sad news.

The cut more than likely didn't help. It's just another reason to show why MMA isn't as safe as us MMA fans try to believe (not that it's anymore dangerous than football, boxing, or any other physical sport out there).

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
wow, holy shiiiiiiiiieeeeettttt. that's just... wow.

he has to be cutting like forty+ pounds even being that skinny. no wonder he died. skinny neck doesn't help either when you're taking punches on the feet.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
My condolences to his family and respect to him for fighting but, I hope they are very cautious and thorough before the blame gets put on mma.

As a kid I had a friend we called "stepladder". Full grown, step was 6-8 and weighed around 160. He had health and glandular problems his entire life and died of a brain aneurysm when he was 32. His death was sudden and unexpected, his health as good as it had ever been.

I just can't imagine a doctor ever clearing stepladder to participate in any contact sport.

I wonder how this kids opponent is holding up.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Very sad news.

It's the reality of what is possible when the brain experiences trauma.

Does it make anyone else question their love for this sport? It's different to football etc because the aim is to hurt the other guy, and that makes me slightly uncomfortable knowing someone has just died.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I hate to be the voice of reason and don't want to try to sound cold but come on now it had to happen eventually. Its a contact sport were getting hit in the head is the norm. Stuff like this happens in bar fights, people die from shit that shouldn't have killed them all the time. In all honesty I am shocked the sport went this long.

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
I hate to be the voice of reason and don't want to try to sound cold but come on now it had to happen eventually. Its a contact sport were getting hit in the head is the norm. Stuff like this happens in bar fights, people die from shit that shouldn't have killed them all the time. In all honesty I am shocked the sport went this long.
technically, it didn't. this is the second in america (one happened in texas a couple of years ago) and i know of one in russia a few years back as well.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
technically, it didn't. this is the second in america (one happened in texas a couple of years ago) and i know of one in russia a few years back as well.
Weren't those two due to preexisting medical conditions though?

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
Douglas Dedge died in Russia back in '98. He was not allowed to fight in American due to heart trouble, and he decided he'd fight in Russia, and it ended up killing him.

On a side note, Michael Kirkham was oddly shaped, but my condolences go out to his family. His nickname was "Tree".

There is a video from his fight Saturday night, too.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
That's what I was told.
If it is then he must of had some kind of previous medical condition because he didn't hardly take anything really serious. Yes he took some shots, but from what I seen it didn't look like he ever got really hit hard.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts