Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was commenting on an earlier post about Liddell vs Franklin and got me thinking.

Both Liddell (Rampage,Silva,Evans,Shogun,Franklin) and Franklin (Henderson,Silva,Silva, Liddell) have fought the best.Let's face it Chuck could have kept his stats(and rep) intact by fighting second rate fighters in what is now his twilight years.However he continues to fight the best.Franklin also always looks for the big fight.

Now we all know guys like Wanderlai,Rampage,Griffin,Hendo will fight whoever you pit in their way but are there great fighters out there who there is a suspision that they not necessarily duck fights but prefer to fight guys whose styles suit them.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
BJ Penn is the poster boy for this club

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Are you asking who doesn't duck anyone or fighters that duck people they don't match up well against?

Big Nog has never ducked anyone and probably has the best resume in MMA in terms of quality opponents faced.

·
Gone Fishing
4,534 Posts
How is B.J the poster boy? He's fought in much larger weight classes. Hell he still wants another rematch with GSP after being throttled the last time out against him:confused02:

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
How is B.J the poster boy? He's fought in much larger weight classes. Hell he still wants another rematch with GSP after being throttled the last time out against him:confused02:
exactly, he will fight anybody, any weight, any time.

who else is like that?? he fought machida at LHW. gsp at WW.

he should be fighting FW really but he is the greatest LW champion of all time and likely the greatest FW of all time.

i dont imagine BJ ducking anybody. he may lose but he isnt scared to be there.

EDIT i dont really understand the question the way the OP worded it. Im saying BJ doesnt duck ppl.

·
Registered
780 Posts
As long as he ISNT in the UFC Fedor can easily be called on ducking people.

·
Gone Fishing
4,534 Posts
The question is a bit confusing. It would be better worded something like, What quality fighters do you think look closely at the matchup before accepting the fight. Or something like that. My bad:thumb02:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was actually after fighters who duck certain fights.

However would also be interested in fighters who only want to fight the best

For example
Chuck,BJ,Wanderlai,Rampage,Randy,Shogun

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
This is kinda of a weird one, but Jeremy Horn. The dude has an ass load of fights against some of the best dudes to ever step into a ring or cage. The guy has balls of steel, judging by his record and the quality of opponents, i doubt the guy has ever turned down a fight.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Are you asking who doesn't duck anyone or fighters that duck people they don't match up well against?

Big Nog has never ducked anyone and probably has the best resume in MMA in terms of quality opponents faced.
I'd put Henderson up there for most quality opponents as well.

I'm waiting for someone to say Chuck did duck people or was never really that good because he only fought wrestlers.......

I have a feeling that Fedors gonna run away with this one!
Doesn't he run away with everything? Can Fedor stay out of just one thread?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Kind of a weird one, but Anderson/Soares. Soares keeps saying Anderson won't fight that guy or that other guy. Then the UFC matches these two guys up and the winner is supposed to get the shot. Then Soares comes out and says so and so doesn't deserve the fight. Before Silva signed a new contract I would have said he's trying to get the biggest fights possible, but I can't help but have a bad aftertaste whenever Soares comes out now.

Also, anyone who is in the UFC is ducking Fedor.

Nah, just kiddding. :thumb02:

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Kind of a weird one, but Anderson/Soares. Soares keeps saying Anderson won't fight that guy or that other guy. Then the UFC matches these two guys up and the winner is supposed to get the shot. Then Soares comes out and says so and so doesn't deserve the fight. Before Silva signed a new contract I would have said he's trying to get the biggest fights possible, but I can't help but have a bad aftertaste whenever Soares comes out now.
Soares just knew what was coming man......he got out while he could......

Don't Fear the Reaper...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Floyd Mayweather...

Wait... wrong sport.

Alistair Overoids

Reactions: Toxic

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Alistair Overeem, sure he is fighting the best in K-1 but he is fighting complete jokes in MMA, hell his last remotely credible fight in MMA was against who? The shell formerly known as Mirko Cro Cop? Paul Buentello? Seriously the guy was taking fights in Bosnia to avoid fighting Fedor. The truth is I don't think Overeem is that good but alot of people swing from is boys like he is the uncrowned king of the HW division.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts