Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many say fighters with exciting styles like Justin Gaethje can't have long careers.

They say to have a long MMA career you need to be boring, wrestle and not absorb damage.

Looking at MMA timelines, we see the following.

Diego Sanchez 18 years active as a pro.
Alistair Overeem 21 years active as a pro.
Wanderlei Silva pro MMA fighter since 1996.
Cro Cop 18 years active as a pro.
Clay Guida 17 years active.

How is it that some of the MMA fighters with the longest career longevity are the guys with the most exciting fights and most epic highlight reels?

·
The Title Guy
17,295 Posts
Yeah but even though some of these fighters have had longevity in their careers doesn't mean their fighting styles didn't negatively affect their health of their competitive nature in their careers. For example Cro Cop suffered a stroke which may have resulted from the damage he took in his career. Wanderlei is suffering the beginnings of CTE at age 44.

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looking at Shane Del Rosario, Josh Samman and Mayhem Miller. And all the others. Its safe to say the biggest danger to mental and physical health isn't cutting weight or CTE. Its drug and substance abuse.

Strokes and cardio issues for athletes --usually-- stem from steroids. As shown by many unfortunate WWE wrestlers.

CTE shares symptoms of drug & substance abuse. Irritability, mood swings, memory loss, anger issues, etc. Which can make CTE difficult to diagnose. It is known that long time users of meth destroyed as much as 30% of their brains through neuronal death. With near to identical the effects of long term CTE.

Microdosing with psilocybin has potential to treat or reverse some aspects of CTE.

CTE is a far bigger issue with NFL players than it is with MMA fighters. Most wouldn't know that by how MMA is attacked for CTE far more by the media.

People who do meth, coke or other drugs that harm their brains. Are paying real $$ to give themselves the same negative health effects they would get from CTE. Democrats love that. Its how they get more Joe Biden voters.

·
The Title Guy
17,295 Posts
Yeah Gary Goodridge and Wanderlei Silva are exceptions to the rule that MMA doesn't cause CTE because normally those quick knockouts actually leads to less brain damage as compared to the NFL or boxing where they sustain more brain trauma. Also I agree that hard drugs like coke and meth do melt the brain away which is why I'll never do it.

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Also I agree that hard drugs like coke and meth do melt the brain away which is why I'll never do it.

I've seen enough homeless crackheads living in their cars who sound and act like they lost 100 points off their IQ. Seen enough good and decent people who had good lives until they started doing drugs. Its all downhill from there for anyone who touches that stuff.

·
The Title Guy
17,295 Posts
Yeah it's very sad to see what happens to people who do stuff like that and go downhill for something that will only harm them in the long term. Honestly I've been around people within the Christian church that believe drugs allows someone to be demon possessed. I still have yet to meet someone demon possessed but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts