Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he seems to be a good scout but matchmaking does not seem to be his thing.

JDS vs Roy Nelson. that was a completely pointless fight. if Duffee-Russow taught anything is that the Homer Simpson can be used in MMA when a slower fighter lands a haymaker on the much more skilled fighter and kills the hype.

Anderson vs Maia- not only was Maia coming off a loss, he was facing Anderson for the title when Anderson had his most rediculous showing against another BJJ champion in Thales Leites. why did Anderson not good another 205 fighter in Rampage, Rashad, Thiago Silva, Randy Couture etc.?

Keith Jardine vs Matt Hamill- Jardine was coming off a loss to a similar fighter in Ryan Bader. why was he not given a striker to at least put an entertaining fight like against Seth? Keith arguably beat Forrest, Liddell, Bonnar, Vera, and Hamill, yet none of them were cut by ufc maybe except liddell.

Serra vs Trigg- you give Trigg another chance after losing to Koscheck, only to be given to another tough fighter in Serra who came off a close fight with Hughes. at least give Trigg a prospect, why make pensioners fight?

Cro Cop vs Perosh- it was a late replacement...but this is probably the biggest mismatch in UFC history. also Cro Cop didnt want to harm him due to his Croatian background...and that he looks similar to him.

GSP vs Dan Hardy- who exactly did Dan Hardy beat? he should have never gotten a titleshot, no matter how important is England for the UFC.and worst of all unlike GSP fights with Alves and Penn, he didnt even stand a single round with Hardy and didnt finish the fight.

Florian vs Gomi- bringing in a legend from Japan and putting him in one of the least exciting matchups. Guillard, Stephens, Fisher, Stout, Siver were all possibilities. but hes given a top ranked opponent and loses hype...

Petruzelli vs Romero- bringing a Kimbo slayer and a great prospect and letting one of them kill the hype

UFC 120- come on put some fights that are worth watching...theres 2 co-main event fights and 9 preliminary fights really. its missing a main event and another 2 good fights.

those are just some fights i was disappointed with this year and their outcome was dissapointing as well just as i suspected

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Trigg, Serra, and Hughes are all part of the UFC's midget wrestling team and fight each other so as not to mess up title contention.

As stated above, JDS and Nelson was for the number one contender spot.

Gomi was given Florian because he deserved such a quality opponent.

Hardy was fresh blood and doing well in the UFC and on a short list of people GSP hadn't already completely dominated.

Maia went into the championship fight after a win over Miller. Marquardt was just destroyed by Chael and Chael had a cut so he couldn't fight Anderson without a lengthy delay. I would rather a champion fight in his weight class instead of moonlighting in other weight classes so that fight didn't bother me.

I think the Joe Silva does a great job matching up fighters given the fluidity of divisions and injuries.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
are you serious???? JDS vs Nelson was fight of the night IMO. You really sound like you want the UFC to throw certain fighters cans just to build them up. If that is what you want go watch strikeforce. There are no easy fights in the UFC. You just sound like you are complaining your fighters had to fight top guys. Kinda ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Cant say I agree with most of your post, only a few points in there that I think holds any substance

JDS vs Roy Nelson > what was JDS supposed to do while he waited for Cain to have his title shot, given it was an easy match for JDS but at least it was a fight in the mean time while JDS was put in line for his title shot.

Anderson vs Maia > Maia was not coming off a loss he was coming off a win over Dan Miller, I was not as impressed with his decision victory of Miller as some claimed to be however Maia did have a good UFC record of 5 or 6 wins to only 1 loss in the UFC, his one loss been a very fast KO at the hands of Nate Marq which was to fast a KO to really prove much about his skills since a quick KO is just one of those things in MMA that can just happen to anyone, so looking at it on paper Maia did maybe deserve a shot considering everyone else in the MW division has suffered similar defeats at the hands of different opponents.

Keith Jardine vs Matt Hamill > kind of a lame fight on paper, even tho it did prove to be an entertaining fight, I think both fighters have gone as far as they where going to go in the UFC but the UFC decided to pair them up and give one of them another shot at a run, was ranked to high on the card tho as the co-main event.

Serra vs Trigg > Kind of like the Hamill/Jardine fight both these guys careers are on the fall but at least the UFC gave then a chance to fight for the chance to try to make a coemback so this was not a bad match up to make imo

Cro Cop vs Perosh > with 2 days notice and when you are at the other side of the world, you have to take what you can get.

GSP vs Hardy > at least it was not another title rematch, I dont know about you but I dont want to see the same guys fight for the title over and over again, and that was really the only other option the UFC had in the WW divison, Fitch is arguably No.1contender and still could loose to GSP time and time again yet beat everyone else, so what you want to see GSP vs Fitch over and over because its the 1st and 2nd best in the division, or many we should just let GSP sit on his ass and wait for Fitch to clear all the other candidates
like Hardy, and wait for fitch again.

Florian vs Gomi > Great match up, I loved this fight from the moment I say it announced, way i see it if you a true fan you really dont give a shit about the hype and a fighters so called "stock value", instead yo ujust want to see good fights and this had good fight written all over it and did not disappoint, Gomi is a proven ex-champion what would have been the point in making him run the ranks through some prelim opponents just to feed his stats, **** the causal fans if they dont want to see 2 top contenders go at it just in case it destroys someones hype, in fact fcuk hype anyone in the know knows that Gomi has the potential to
do well in the UFC even if he does get subbed by Florian

Petruzelli vs Romero > again who cares about the hype, especially if that hype is gained via a win over Kimbo, hype does not make yo ua better fighter, on paper these guys where fairly even matched was not really so bad to let them face each other and as a result a good fight was the outcome.

UFC 120, well you right there this card has little appeal on paper to the casual fan, is it a free card for US fans? because if not I cant imagine many US fan dishing out for it, but seriously I willing to bet that this card turns out to be a great event just like 110 did.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
So let me get this right. You don't agree with 6 or 7 of his fights that he has made? What about the other 200 or so excellent fights, or at least on paper, fights he made?

Sometimes fights have to be setup that don't make sense just to keep fighters active and in peoples minds. Plus I really don't agree with you on any of the fights you picked, for each of those fights I think the purpose was pretty clear.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I gotta agree with Killershark and cdtcpl, I haven't liked ALL of his matchups, but the MAJORITY of them are spot on. And to be honest, on a good majority of the fights I'm not too stoked about end up being the best ones.

·
Registered
982 Posts
are you serious???? JDS vs Nelson was fight of the night IMO. You really sound like you want the UFC to throw certain fighters cans just to build them up. If that is what you want go watch strikeforce. There are no easy fights in the UFC. You just sound like you are complaining your fighters had to fight top guys. Kinda ridiculous.
beatdown of the night?
JDS vs Nelson was for title shot thats not my point. what did JDS gain from this fight? anything but a KO from JDS would drop his stock,and his stock did drop.I will give this fight a pass though because Nelson put up a fight, and had some good striking.

Anderson Silva vs Maia and GSP vs Hardy are complete facepalms on whoever put them together. Anderson should have fought at 205 instead, and Hardy wasnt even top 10 (Kampmann or Paulo Thiago are better fighters). Dana White himself walked out on the Anderson-Maia fight it was so bad and gave his manager the belt. one of the judges ruled it a draw.

Trigg and Jardine are long time veterans and should have been used against a prospect.

there were also horrible matches in previous years
Cote-Silva after cote had a questionable win against a smaller almeida
Leites-Silva after Leites beat Marquardt by 2 penalty points
Okami-Franklin when Okami should have gotten a title shot against Anderson
Quarry-Starnes
Cro Cop vs Sanchez and Gonzaga. Couture picked Gonzaga over Cro Cop by sub. Cro Cop vs Couture would have been huge, unlike Gonzaga vs Couture. was huge upset though
etc

even look at those matchups that are coming up
Penn-Edgar 2 (why immediate rematch?)
Maia vs Miranda (good grappling match but again huge experience difference)
Mir-Nogueira 2 (what did Nog do for rematch? i know hes one of the GOAT but let him win some first)
Hathaway vs Pyle (huge stepdown from Diego fight)
Diego vs Paulo Thiago (neither guy can catch a break)

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
even look at those matchups that are coming up
Penn-Edgar 2 (why immediate rematch?)
Maia vs Miranda (good grappling match but again huge experience difference)
Mir-Nogueira 2 (what did Nog do for rematch? i know hes one of the GOAT but let him win some first)
Hathaway vs Pyle (huge stepdown from Diego fight)
Diego vs Paulo Thiago (neither guy can catch a break)
Penn and Edggar - fight could have gone either way and BJ has been more than just VERY dominate at lightweight.

Maia and Miranda - you said it yourself, its going to be a beautiful grappling showcase...if it goes there. We have all seen what happens when you put 2 wrestler or 2 bjj guys in with each other, they usually stand and trade. Could be the confidence booster Maia needs in his standup to get to the next level.

Mir and Nog - Nog had a staph infection and had a great showing against Couture. He is now coming off the loss to Cain and Mir is coming off his losses to Carwin and Brock. Mir and Nog are both fighting to see who's still going to be in reach of making a climb back.

Hathaway and Pyle - I agree with you that it's a stepdown, but I am sure the UFC sees his potential and are going to give him slowly increasingly hard, well matched fights.

Diego and Thiago - I don't seee the problem here, Diego needs to get back into winning ways at 170 and Thiago wants to beat a notable opponent. Should be an exciting matchup, both guys like to trade.

·
Registered
17 Posts
are you for real??
how can you call any of BJ Penns' fights CO-MAINEVENT??
the guy is a total monster! I don't know if you watched the last fight with Edger or not but it was close (BJ was on an off night) and i cant wait for the rematch! :confused03:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
are you for real??
how can you call any of BJ Penns' fights CO-MAINEVENT??
the guy is a total monster! I don't know if you watched the last fight with Edger or not but it was close (BJ was on an off night) and i cant wait for the rematch! :confused03:
i said ufc 120. youre confused with 118.
he lost by unanimous decision. they could have made Penn-Gomi 2, Penn-Guillard, Penn-Fisher. would all been great striking matches if Penn kept it standing though Penn would be heavy favorite, while Edgar would have fought Maynard rematch. so many better matchups i can think of......

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
For a person who consulted for an MMA show before J. Silva does a PHENOMENAL job. One show is hectic as is, but for him to be able to do this on a regular basis with all the last minute injury replacements to boot is a Herculean task. Sure some fights are odd; JDS vs Roy, Brillz vs Lil Nog, but guess what they turned out to be FOTN material which is insane cuz none of us would have been able to figure it out.

J. Silva does his homework folks. A man of his position has to constantly view fight history, fight tapes, and figure out how the fight will pan out. It's also a group effort, but he's the man behind the scene that puts on the show for us.

But let me tell you something. It's US...the FANS...the MASSES who control it. If we want a fight we drum up the forum threads and trust me they'll hear about it.

IE: Anderson Silva vs GSP
Anderson Silva vs Shogun Rua

Alistair Overeem vs Cain vs JDS vs Brock vs Pat Berry

maybe down the line "The Last Emperor"

·
Registered
428 Posts
gotta love the half hearted troll attempt of the op:)

1 - 20 of 135 Posts