Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts
Been watching for a while now, very entertaining.

Fitch just said that if Kos beat GSP and defended the belt, Fitch would move up.

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts
Just went off the air. The last 10 minutes was kinda dull, when Chael, Fitch and Hardy was hanging out it was great. Chael is a funny guy.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Dang, I didn't see this. I did hear a rumor that Fitch would go up to MW if Kos won the title. As interesting as this would be, Kos still has to take the title from GSP so I am not gonna get too excited about this at all.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Dang, I didn't see this. I did hear a rumor that Fitch would go up to MW if Kos won the title. As interesting as this would be, Kos still has to take the title from GSP so I am not gonna get too excited about this at all.
That's what he told me he was going to do... I'd like to see it happen TBH. IMO he has a better shot at beating Silva than GSP.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
How so? Striking/Wrestling/Jitz/Athleticism GSP does all of that better as shown by their fight.
Anderson's striking is phenomenal. The only ***** in his armor we've seen is his wrestling and the ability for wrestlers to control him on the floor. GSP's wrestling was too much for Jon to use his normal game plan on him and his striking is better than Jon's. If Jon can get inside Anderson's reach advantage without getting KTFO there's a strong possibility he could take him down and grind him into a decision or possibly a submission. I don't see Anderson's BJJ being a big factor as Jon has and un-Godly unwillingness to get submitted as shown in his previous fights. Dude has been in some serious deep ass chokes and he's gotten out of all of them (bar the first time he was submitted).

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Wait so because GSP is better then Fitch in every way it made Fitch throw away his usual gameplan but his normal gameplan would be enough to beat Silva. Am I getting this right???

ANYTHING Fitch can do GSP can do better... If Fitch could beat Silva so would GSP... Sonnen has a much better chance then Fitch does.

Edit: Ignore above, misunderstood

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
How so? Striking/Wrestling/Jitz/Athleticism GSP does all of that better as shown by their fight.
You know to be honest stylistically I think Fitch could do better at 185 than GSP. GSP relies on speed, strength his explosiveness and overall athleticism. GSP with enough muscle to compete at 185 is gonna be slower, less explosive and honestly comparatively to the guys he is fighting he will be weaker. Fitch is a more relaced fighter with a more grinding style more similar to to Randy Couture which I think could translate better carrying additional weight.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Wait so because GSP is better then Fitch in every way it made Fitch throw away his usual gameplan but his normal gameplan would be enough to beat Silva. Am I getting this right???

ANYTHING Fitch can do GSP can do better... If Fitch could beat Silva so would GSP... Sonnen has a much better chance then Fitch does.
First, Yes, because GSP's takedowns and takedown defense completely stifle Fitch's normal route to a win. Anderson on the other hand doesn't have as good of TDD as GSP, he's not nearly as explosive as GSP (don't get me wrong, his strikes are lightning fast but his body movement isn't the same as GSP's). And I'm not saying Jon WOULD be Silva, but I'm saying he has a decent shot at it.

Second, I never said GSP wouldn't beat Silva. In that fight I would actually be picking GSP.

Second, no way in hell does Chael have a better chance than Jon or GSP. Chael may be an Olympic caliber wrestler, but his stand up leaves more to be desired than both the others, hhis sub defense is laughable at times and he's not as good of a grappler as Jon. I've said it before, Jon Fitch is not the best wrestler in the UFC, but he's definitely one of the best GRAPPLERS in the UFC.

You know to be honest stylistically I think Fitch could do better at 185 than GSP. GSP relies on speed, strength his explosiveness and overall athleticism. GSP with enough muscle to compete at 185 is gonna be slower, less explosive and honestly comparatively to the guys he is fighting he will be weaker. Fitch is a more relaced fighter with a more grinding style more similar to to Randy Couture which I think could translate better carrying additional weight.
Also, Fitch is about 6'1'' or 6'2'' by my eyes. My buddy is 6'2'' and when he stood beside Jon he was the same height or just a hair taller. GSP I think clocks in around 5'11''. That three extra inches is a LOT of room for Jon to put on 25 lbs of muscle or more, too, and stay close to the body type he has now. GSP would just be massive if he did that and I agree that it would hinder his speed a bit. Maybe not terribly significantly, but enough that it would get him stuffed a bit more and hit in a face a bit more often.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts