Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mmanews.com/news/88424

While Zuffa mayrun a basic monopoly over the mixed martial arts world ,there’s plenty of highly talented fighters not currently fighting under the UFC banner. Growing promotions are busy swooping up loads of prospects, and more than a few could likely hold their own within the octagon. Here now, is a quick glimpse at five fistic machines worthy of a call from match maker Joe Silva, and president Dana White.

#1 Alistair Overeem: Since bulking up to ridiculous proportions, Overeem has been steamrolling competition outside of The Ultimate Fighting Championship. The current Strikeforce heavyweight champion hasn’t lost a bout in three years, and he’s managed to destroy quality opposition such as Paul Buentello, Mark Hunt, Gary Goodridge and Brett Rogers. It should be noted that only Buentello managed to survive the first round, though he too met his demise in quite violent fashion. Few interesting bouts loom for Overeem outside of the UFC, but if the Dutchman is ever to sign with the UFC, he’ll be staring face to face with the highest quality heavyweights in the game today.

Continue reading here:

#2 Gilbert Melendez: “El Nino” has been a longtime lightweight contender. He’s dropped only two bouts in 20 professional outings, but avenged each loss in convincing fashion. A potent combination of wrestling and striking have left highly touted competitors such Shinya Aoki, Tatsuya Kawajiri and Mitsuhiro Ishida looking far out of their depth. The current Strikeforce lightweight champion has clearly proven he’s prepared for the biggest stage in North America.

#3 Nick Diaz: Nick may love to play the heel, but he’s got the goods to back up his brash demeanor. More impressive, the man has no qualms venturing into multiple weight classes, where he seems to find continued success. Unbeaten in his last seven bouts, Diaz has destroyed heavy hitter Marius Zaromskis, the comeback kid Scott Smith and legendary foes Frank Shamrock and Hayato Sakurai. Nick’s path of destruction should lead this Stockton representative right back to the big stage. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

#4 Gegard Mousasi: Mousasi may have faltered in his title defense against the aggressive wrestler Muhammed Lawal at Strikeforce: Nashville, but he’s proven time and again, his weaknesses are extremely few. With one lone loss in his last 17 bouts, Mousasi deserves another shot at Lawal, before making the trek to the UFC where dangerous foes await in both the middleweight and light heavyweight divisions. Given the fact that Mousasi has already toppled several heavyweights, he may even dare to venture into the sports beefiest division.

#5 Eddie Alvarez: Alvarez has been on a destructive mission as of late. Pummeling UFC vet Josh Neer, Dream standout Katsunori Kikuno, and the reinvigorated Toby Imada is a major statement that no intelligent promoter should overlook. Previous victories over Tatsuya Kawajiri, Aaron Riley, and Joachim Hansen only support the claims that Alvarez is a legitimate threat to anyone campaigning at 155 pounds. It’s time to bring the man over.

Plenty of other high profile fighters deserve a nod on this list. Shinya Aoki would make for an interesting bout with B.J Penn, while Fedor Emelianenko is still an enigma of the sport well worthy of fighting the best the world has to offer. Further more, perhaps Fabricio Werdum should be considered for a return after his startling upset over the Last Emperor. A steroid free Josh Barnett could cause some waves in the heavyweight division, and while he’s not exactly a top tier fighter, now would be a perfect time to bring Kimbo Slice back into the fold for a rematch with the flamboyant Seth Petruzelli.

http://www.mmanews.com/news/88424

·
The Title Guy
18,063 Posts
For right now Ben Henderson is going to stay in the WEC cause the UFC lightweight division is packed right now!:(

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I think all of them deserve to be in the UFC! Espcially Overeem and Melendez. I believe it's still to early for Mousasi and Nick. Alvarez I really don't know how good he really is atm.

But it would be asweome to have all of them.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I would like to see Hector Lombard in the UFC a lot as well. He would mix up the MW division a lot! The guy has a record of 25-2-1 is on a 14 fight win streak and his last loss was in 2006. His only 2 losses were to Gegard Mousasi and Akihiro Gono. To break it down a bit more, he has 13 (T)KO's, 6 subs, and 6 decisions and is an extremely exciting fighter to watch. He would be an outstanding addition to the UFC.

I think all of them deserve to be in the UFC! Espcially Overeem and Melendez. I believe it's still to early for Mousasi and Nick. Alvarez I really don't know how good he really is atm.

But it would be asweome to have all of them.
Alvarez is a very good fighter that is exciting as well. He is sporting a 20-2 record with losses to only Shinya Aoki and Nick Thompson.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Alvarez and Overeem chose to not be in the UFC so they can have more freedom to do what they want with their careers. I think Overeem will go to the UFC however whenever his strikeforce contract is up. As far as guys I want in the UFC Jacare and Lombard after a few more fights would be nice. Add some more depth to the MW division for whenever Andy decides to leave MW.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
Mayhem should have been offered a second fight. Since then he's lost a bit of his training motivation, luckily he's picking it up now but he should have never been brushed off by the UFC for a decision loss to GSP. He's got high level natural fighting abilities, and he's ridiculously entertaining.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Mayhem should have been offered a second fight. Since then he's lost a bit of his training motivation, luckily he's picking it up now but he should have never been brushed off by the UFC for a decision loss to GSP. He's got high level natural fighting abilities, and he's ridiculously entertaining.
I agree. I wish that they would have held onto him after the GSP fight.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
Alvarez and Overeem chose to not be in the UFC so they can have more freedom to do what they want with their careers. I think Overeem will go to the UFC however whenever his strikeforce contract is up. As far as guys I want in the UFC Jacare and Lombard after a few more fights would be nice. Add some more depth to the MW division for whenever Andy decides to leave MW.
More freedom? I just don't understand that. It makes some sense for Overeem, because he wanted to compete in K1 and I doubt the UFC would allow that. But what does Alvarez want more freedom to do? Get paid less money, and not get the recognition he deserves?

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
More freedom? I just don't understand that. It makes some sense for Overeem, because he wanted to compete in K1 and I doubt the UFC would allow that. But what does Alvarez want more freedom to do? Get paid less money, and not get the recognition he deserves?
It was something about how they treat their fighters like they own them and tell them who can sponsor them and whathaveyou. He was kind of vague about it, I think it was on one of the sherdog radio shows.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
why would any of them want a UFC contact when they are all part of the fastest growing MMA promotion on the planet, just because Shield wanted to join the hype machine, why would these guys when SF are putting one some of the best MMA events of the year, just because they dont share the same hype some of the fights SF have produced over he last couple of events and the next foreseeable events have been as good as or even superior to anything the UFC has to offer.

For the record Melendez is the No.1 LW in the world right now, if that guy was to face Penn or Edgar I would bet he would hand there ass back to them, not sure about Maynard tho, he is a very dark horse in that division right now another is Melvin Guillard if Grey Jackson has sorted out his discipline and ground game, then he too could well be a true contender for the No.1 LW spot.

See thats all the UFC can offer, is more money and more hype, some may value there freedom above all of that.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
why would any of them want a UFC contact when they are all part of the fastest growing MMA promotion on the planet, just because Shield wanted to join the hype machine, why would these guys when SF are putting one some of the best MMA events of the year, just because they dont share the same hype some of the fights SF have produced over he last couple of events and the next foreseeable events have been as good as or even superior to anything the UFC has to offer.
Why has the fastest growing MMA promotion had a steady decline in ratings since Fedor fought Rogers? They are not growing they are decreasing. I love people who say that UFC is just a hype machine. It's just guys who want to hate the biggest organization, because they are the biggest. You honestly think the upcoming Strikforce cards are better than UFC 118,119, and 121. Strikefoce events have been the best? A LHW title fight where one guy has no td defense and the other is gassed after one round and still wins is not amazing.

For the record Melendez is the No.1 LW in the world right now, if that guy was to face Penn or Edgar I would bet he would hand there ass back to them, not sure about Maynard tho, he is a very dark horse in that division right now another is Melvin Guillard if Grey Jackson has sorted out his discipline and ground game, then he too could well be a true contender for the No.1 LW spot.

Melendez may be the top LW, I actually think Edgar and Penn are better, but that's not the issue. Strikeforce has no one for him to fight. You can't call yourself a legit orgainzation when you're champions have no one to fight. It's the same for all the divisions except HW, where you're champion isn't even close to the best fighter in your own organization. LHW King Mo has no ranked opponent to fight that he hasn't already beaten. MW Jacare is fighting an unranked guy with only Hendo left to beat. Diaz has no ranked contenders to face either. Guillard is a contender talk about drinking the Kool-aid!

See thats all the UFC can offer, is more money and more hype, some may value there freedom above all of that.
What are they free to do? It's important to understand that UFC runs their organization like a professional sports league. The NBA, NFL, and MLB all have stricter rules. This idea of "owning" a fighter is ridiculous. They are employees who agreed to the terms of their contract. For crying outloud a lot of guys in other sports aren't allowed to ride motorcyles or ski due their contracts.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
I don't think there was any actual truth in this whole post lol :thumb02:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.