Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I do want to say that he gave Sherk a hell of a fight. Now with that said, I was very disappointed in him for grabbing the fence the whole fight. I know that it's easy to judge when I'm not the one being punched in the face, but he is the one that was explained the rules and was being paid to not brake them.

I just think that it was way to often and at times that could have changed the way the fight was going (like when Sherk was about to slam him). It would have bothered me to all ends if he had won the title by working outside of the rules.

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pt447 said:
hey, it's the UFC's fault. they have no way of enforcing the "no grabbing" rule! still, if you go into a fight, you're supposed to know, and then abide by the rules. Silvia sure doesn't, so why should Florian?
How are you going to take this thread and make it a UFC bashing one? Learn to talk about the fighters and not just bashing UFC. If you could do that it would be a much better argument.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
its not a big deal, its a part of the UFC if u ask me, alot of guys do it, its just instincts to grab sumthing when ur about to be smashed into the ground

·
Registered
119 Posts
After the second time why dont they just deduct a point from him? One warning second time you loose a point. I dont know what the policy is but after awhile it got retarded he almost avoided the slam when he did that.

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
blackskimmer said:
After the second time why dont they just deduct a point from him? One warning second time you loose a point. I dont know what the policy is but after awhile it got retarded he almost avoided the slam when he did that.
That's what I'm saying. I can see the "it's just the UFC" argument when it's not a title fight, but when there's a title on the line take the point off and keep it by the rules.

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Team Punishment said:
Another Florian grabbing fence thread? Jesus get f'n over it already. Other fighters do that aswell.
Ohhh, I guess that you are ok with someone not working with in the rules to try and win a fight. Would you have thought it was ok for Sherk to elbow the back of the head all night? What about if Sherk kicked him in the groin? Do you think that the path of the fight could not be changed by holding the fence?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I for one believe it would have been a KO slam if Kenflo didn't grab the fence. It looked like he was going to do a running slam (the kind Hughes & GSP like to do). The height was just enough to deal a large amount of damage. Everyone here knows that KO slams are relatively rare in the UFC. Anyone else think that would have been a KO slam or at least it would have ended in a quick TKO. Anyone else think that would have been a KO slam or at least it would have ended in a quick TKO?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well I dont think this is about Floran only. But it was demontrasted in infamous fashion in the title fight.

He broke the rules to avoid a situation that would have direct effect on his ability to win the fight. That should result in a immed removal of a point. Hopefully this doesnt become common place in the future. Although I have seen even Chuck do it to avoid a takedown.

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
ken is an ew fighter and has never been in the position where he had the chance to grab the fence. it comes natural to do that when you do that he proboly did it whithout even knowing. It takes awhile to get use to it everyone makes mistakes so dont get mad at hem just yet. see what he dose in the future.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
pt447 said:
hey, it's the UFC's fault. they have no way of enforcing the "no grabbing" rule! still, if you go into a fight, you're supposed to know, and then abide by the rules. Silvia sure doesn't, so why should Florian?
Well we dont want everyone doing the same things in the ring that Tim Sylvia does do we?

·
I eat babies
7,647 Posts
Great thread chris. Glad to see someone else agrees with me finally. Grabbing the fence isn't part of the UFC it's flat out cheating and it doesn't matter who else does it, cuz Kenny completely changed the outcome of this fight because of how he grabbed the fence. Sherk had mount several time but Ken would cheat to stand back up and avoid being pounded to death in the mount. Then the slam...Sherk was getting ready to take him to his corner, and possibly use his corner men to help him finish the fight. But since Kenny grabbed the fence, Sherk didn't get to do what he wanted. If they have it as a rule, then they need to enforce it somehow. I agree it's instinct...but there's no excuse for someone with as many fights as he has to do it THAT MANY times in one fight. No excuse at all except he was terrified and didn't wanna lose or fight like a man. But yea I lost what little respect I had of him too. I respect him as a fighter, and respect him for going 5 rounds....but he wouldn't have gone 5 rounds without grabbing the fence I can tell ya that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.