Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Who wants to see Forrest Griffin vs. Rich Franklin?

• Yes

Votes: 45 70.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • I'd rather see Forrest fight Jon Jones

Votes: 13 20.3%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I for one don't want to see Forrest fight Jon Jones and it seems thats pretty mutual around here. But I think Forrest and Rich Franklin would be an awesome fight both guys are really exciting, stand up, crowd favorites who would put on a war for the fans. Hopefully we can get some buzz on this and the UFC will take notice so I thought it would be appropriate to take a poll.

·
Registered
428 Posts
^^^^
cant agree more, any fight with ace is a good fight

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Ace can fight Bader or Thiago Silva.

If the rumor is true...

Forrest v Bones does make the most sense, I'm guessing Forrest is getting a big payday as well to take the fight. And the fight would be on the same card as Lyoto v Rampage.

I want to see Bones fight Forrest, Ace or Thiago Silva - he hasn't taken a lick of damage in a long time in the octagon. And the fight actually has contendership implications.

That would most certainly make for great co main-events. Lyoto and Rampage get a bag over their head in the locker room. Forrest has been hurt his last few fights, he's rested now, so no excuse for a war with Bones - in which he likely gets annihilated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't mind seeing it but I think both of them are around the same level in terms of LHW rankings. So what do either benefit?
We would all benefit from getting to watch a great fight, I don't think either guy is really worried about the title at this point in their careers. Both are both former champions they don't have much else to prove.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
We would all benefit from getting to watch a great fight, I don't think either guy is really worried about the title at this point in their careers. Both are both former champions they don't have much else to prove.
So Forrest can't win a championship, but isn't going to lose to lesser competition. That's what you would call a gate keeper. Or a guy you put up in front of declining former stars (i.e. Lil Nog and perhaps Rampage). As far as timing goes, the only other guys are maybe Thiago Silva and maybe Rich Franklin...both with undetermined timelines of when they are ready to fight.

So, what is more important in his current role in the UFC - putting up a good fight against a potential future champ or an entertaining fight against Ace some time next year?

In all reality, by the time this fight would be finished, he would probably be right on schedule for a next fight an opponent like a healthy Rich Franklin.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I dunno. Franklin has said that he wants to be a champion again, which is why he left middleweight. However, he's been putting on fights with legends recently (Liddell, Belfort, Wandy, Hendo). None of them are really a step up the 205 ladder, so maybe what he said were just words...

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
Nah I'd much rather see Forrest v Jones. I have a feeling the fights Franklin will be involved in from here on out will be purely 'draw' fights to accentuate mediocre cards, eg, his fight with Chuck. And I don't see him v Forrest making much sense.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I voted that Yes wants to see this fight, but only because I'd like to see Jones against one of the top 4 next. If they won't let him fight one of them, which Dana has hinted, I'd rather see Griffin against Jones than Franklin. In that case, Franklin vs Thiago Silva could be fun.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I think this fight makes sense.
Bones hasn't fought a good striker yet and Forrest doesn't qualify, so i'd make Thiago Silva/Bones and Forrest/Ace. Then when Bader beats Lil Nog give him winner of Ace/Griffin...then when he wins that the title shot...then the gold! WAR BADER!

·
Registered
780 Posts
I dunno. Franklin has said that he wants to be a champion again, which is why he left middleweight. However, he's been putting on fights with legends recently (Liddell, Belfort, Wandy, Hendo). None of them are really a step up the 205 ladder, so maybe what he said were just words...
You kiddin? think about it, if he wins against forrest he would be right there, if forrest wins this, he would be right there, next to a title shot, winning against anyone put infront of you when you're a former champ never sucks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I really dont want to see Forrest fight Bones, i like Forrest to much to see him get mauled by Jones.

Franklin vs Griffin would be so much better, i love both guys so i wouldnt mind who wins it would be a war.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think this fight makes sense.
Bones hasn't fought a good striker yet and Forrest doesn't qualify, so i'd make Thiago Silva/Bones and Forrest/Ace. Then when Bader beats Lil Nog give him winner of Ace/Griffin...then when he wins that the title shot...then the gold! WAR BADER!
I'd take Forrest in a stand up fight any day over Thiago, Forrest is gonna be faster have better reach and mix it up better.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I still to this day want to see Chuck Liddell fight Forrest Griffin. I would also enjoy Griffin against Thiago Silva, Rich Franklin, or Jon Jones as well. Forrest always comes to fight no matter who is put in front of him.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
I've wanted to see it for 3 full years now!

Plus, if they make Jones vs Forrest, I might actually not bother watching in protest. So PLEASE Forrest vs Franklin. Can you imagine if either guy managed to finish the other? It would be huge for either one of them, and Franklin would surely get a title shot out of that.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You kiddin? think about it, if he wins against forrest he would be right there, if forrest wins this, he would be right there, next to a title shot, winning against anyone put infront of you when you're a former champ never sucks.
Around the time Franklin fought Liddell, I considered Liddell between the top 5 and top 10 of the division. I also consider Griffin between the top 5 and top 10. I don't really see Griffin as much of a move up. Personally, I think the veterans should stand in the way of the up N comers. For example, Franklin vs Bader and Griffin vs Jones. Kind of like what they did with Vera vs Jones.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
"oh they are close in terms of where they are, so how does one benifit?"

This makes no sense. What does Lyoto benifit from fighting Rampage? What does Mir benifit from fighting Nog? Not every fight is going to move a guy way up. They are just good fights. Beating a top 10 guy, even if you are ranked 6th, is a good step for your career. People look way too much into matchups and who is where. There are no rankings. All we know is Shogun is Champ and Machida and Rashad are the next best. Outside of that they are all just top 10 fighters. Any combo of fights are good fights for all fighters in them.

And for the record...Franklin, Jones, Forrest, Bader, and Lil Nog would all beat Thiago Silva.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts