Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Brocks comments in his @UFC interviews have inspired me to decide on holding off on going to 205, and working my way to fighting him again"

http://twitter.com/thefrankmir

I'm guessing it's the comment in this interview. He says it 2:49

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts
Moving down to 205 after spending all that time bulking up to 265 pounds of solid muscle would be hell. Still, it's perhaps the only way Mir can stay relevant in the UFC. I'm not one of those who say that Frank is completely done, but with all the heavyweight talent out there right now, it's gonna be a long climb up to fighting for the belt again.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I dont really know how that can motivate someone who has been clearly on the downs. Mir should just re-watch the things he has said in their "hype" video, He went way over the top and crossed the line on some things, maybe watching that video and then watching their second fight will put him back down to reality.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Mir is on the down, but that doens't mean he can't improve. He should be given a chance, he may have one more shot before he simply becomes a gate keeper.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
While these may be just promotional comments, Mir seems like he needs to recenter and start training and fighting for its own sake. Turning the competition into mythical beasts that need slaying hasn't worked out so well for him.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
While these may be just promotional comments, Mir seems like he needs to recenter and start training and fighting for its own sake. Turning the competition into mythical beasts that need slaying hasn't worked out so well for him.
Yea, I forgot to say this. Mir needs to work for himself like you said, and stop this 'Brock said this now im going to do this'. For some reason, Mir just cant get Lesnar out of his head, Even before his fight with Carwin, Mir was STILL talking about Lesnar.

Brock Lesnar doesnt bring up Frank Mir without getting asked a question about him, and yet Mir still thinks he needs to respond.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think it boils down to Mir not being able to get over a former Pro Wrestler beating him. I've noticed a lot of people in MMA have a real dislike of Pro Wrestling. Mir seems to be one of them and therefore he's seemingly stuck on the fact that he lost to someone who used to "fake fight". :sarcastic12:

Kinda sad really because while I've never been a Frank Mir fan per say, I popped hard when he took down Tim Silvia and always thought he might have a chance to get back to the top. It really was just sheer bad luck that he crossed paths with Brock.

I am glad he's not trying to drop to 205 though. I think he could do it but at this point it seems counterproductive to what he's trying to accomplish: stay relevant in MMA.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Cutting from where he is now at 265 to somewhere around 220 so he can fight at 205 would be hell in itself, let alone the extra cut he'd have to do for an actual fight! He'd have to leave at least 6-9 months between now and his first fight to cut that weight in a safe way.
That said 205 would be the best choice for Mir as:

He loses for sure Vs:
Dos santos
Cain
Lesnar (Again)
Carwin (Again)

If he is staying at HW then i'd like to see Mir/Cro Cop, in the battle of the vets!

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Cutting from where he is now at 265 to somewhere around 220 so he can fight at 205 would be hell in itself, let alone the extra cut he'd have to do for an actual fight! He'd have to leave at least 6-9 months between now and his first fight to cut that weight in a safe way.

He loses for sure Vs:
Dos santos
Cain
Lesnar (Again)
Carwin (Again)

If he is staying at HW then i'd like to see Mir/Cro Cop, in the battle of the vets!
he would only really need to lose around 20-30 pounds to realistically cut down to LHW. You have big guys like Forrest Griffen who walk around at 240 and cut to 205 no problem.

Frank Mir will never be relevant in the HW divison again, at least not for the title.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Frank Mir has lost his cotton picking mind. If I was his psychologist I would tell him if he ever said Brock, Lesnar or Brock Lesnar again I would commit him. He got LUCKY in the first fight and instead of realizing it, he antagonized Brock, and did he pay for it. Now he thinks he needs to try again? What the fecking hell?

Mir...move on with your life. If you want to stay at heavy get Dana to release you and move to Strikeforce where you may beat someone in their top 5.

Geeez I am so sick of this fool and his mouth. Maybe he has taken 100 too many head shots. What a sad, sad man.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Dana said on the Dan LeBatard show that Frank did a practice cut and got down to 220 and couldn't go any further. If he could get down to 205 he would fight there.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Yeah it's a huge cut and if he did make it, he'd be completely ruined for the fight anyways.

The point is irrelevant anyways cos he wouldn't be top 5 at 205 anyways.

·
The Detective
1,338 Posts

He loses for sure Vs:
Dos santos
Cain
Lesnar (Again)
Carwin (Again)

It's stupid to say he would lose to all of those fighters for sure. I would love to see how he would approach a rematch with Carwin and Brock. Also I think him against Cain and JDS would be good fights.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Thanks for the update!

Haven't heard from Frank in a bit.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I agree.

After that, he needs to take a Chael Sonnen approach and not spend so much time working on how much weight he can lift and start working on his fighting. In this case, his wrestling specifically needs work.

His jitz is good, his boxing is good, but to be honest he just seems very limp when clinching or mounted. He doesn't seem like a solid, strong grappler exploding out of positions. I think if he can tighten that up he'll be able to put on some good fights, but again, focus on each fight and not worrying about some legendary rematch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.