Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Ok what? Could he even make 205? Like damn why did he spend so much time bulking and gaining strength if he is just gonna go back down to 240-255 lb or even 205? That combined with the fact that he is taking a long layoff kinda makes me wonder if there is something going on we don't know about.

Then again maybe he is just starting to question his plan to make it to the top again. I don't know what's up but I think if Mir was smart he would say about the size he was when he fought Carwin. Maybe a little lighter/ripped. As for 205 I don't think he could make it but it's not my body so it's just a guess.

Well anyways here is the video someone imbedded I see.

Reactions: BobbyCooper

·
M.I.A
2,550 Posts
If you got beat up like he has recently, it would be hard not to look down. The guys coming up at HW are insanely big, fast and powerful, along with the skills that most HW didn't use to have.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Wait what? Dunno how he'll do it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think he could make 205. He'd be half dead and more useless than a horse missing 2 legs, but he'd make weight rofl. I've even heard/seen him wanting to do a catch weight 245 with Anderson? He really should just stick to his weight now at 265. Yo-yoing his weight is really only going to hurt his body and if he really thinks losing 60lbs to make it into the LWH division is a good idea, I think Shane might have hit him a little too hard.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
What would he realistically need to get down to to make that cut without ruining himself for the fight like 230? He would have a pretty big grappling advantage over a lot of guys at 205 if he could do it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think he could make 205 and be in good shape he used to weigh 245 and have some fat on him. If he ate right and did the right workouts he could easliy make it down to 230 and then cut from there. Forrest walks around at nearly 240 somethings and he's never had a problem making 205.

·
Registered
585 Posts
He's just too big, I doubt Dana would let him fight at 205. I don't understand how he gains so much weight to try to match Brock then now he wants to go to 205?I don't know if thats a good idea

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I think Mir could do it. I just don't know if he would have any decent gas tank left after a massive cut. Alves cuts bunch of weight to drop down to 170 so I don't see why Mir can't do it either if he can drop his natural weight down to 230-235 or so.
So many interesting match ups for Mir at 205 and as he'd be on the the biggest (if not the biggest) guys around he could really abuse his grappling skills better than he can against the huge heavyweights.

Mir is very intelligent guy. If he thinks he can do it without messing his body up then he should go for it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I see it has being very hard for Mir to cut that much weight. Can he make 205? Probably but he'll be dead.

With that being said, he looks smaller in that video than he did when he fought Lesnar and Carwin. In my opinion, he needs to drop his weight back down to when he was fighting at 245 again. When he had that extra muscle, it just didn't look right on him. Plus it made him slower, and easier for him to be caught. He was more dangerous when he was lighter. But I don't think he'd be fast enough to hang with the guys at 205.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly guys I don't think it is possible. He was ripped when he fought Lesnar at 100 weighing 145.5lbs I think? Were talking another 30lbs on top of that I really just don't think it is physicly possible.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Mir is an intelligent guy, and he realizes that the UFC has garnered enough of a following that true HW athletes are going to participate in MMA. He stands little chance against the growing crop of giant HW's and he will cling on to what fame he has by fighting at a lighter weight.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
He's way too big to make 205, he'd look like Irvin when get cut to 185, probably worse. However if he could make it he would probably be a dawg no doubt haha.

I seen him in an interview after he lost to Carwin saying he was dropping to 250 and would be in great shape and ripped because he lost mobility that big. Also that he felt he had fought as the smaller weaker fighter for so long that he couldn't use his weight and strength to push a guy around. He just allowed himself to be pushed around, and with the speed ad mobility loss he was a worse fighter. Which makes sense, he's used to fighting off his back, then to switch to have to push the other guy around, it would be a difficult switch mentally.

Frank is in a hard spot right now, in order to compete with the top of the division he loses ability in the skill that made him good in the first place, by putting on size. But if he is a comfortable size then he's undersized for the division. He can't be like Cain because his strength isn't wrestling. I don't care how good you are at BJJ if the other guy knows it half as well as you but he's 50 or 60 pounds heavier you can't do anything off your back.

Frank is the main causality of wrestling taking over MMA.
Honestly guys I don't think it is possible. He was ripped when he fought Lesnar at 100 weighing 145.5lbs I think? Were talking another 30lbs on top of that I really just don't think it is physicly possible.
I hope you mean 245 haha. Yeah I don't think he could cut and if he could possibly get down, think about what he would lose and then trying to rehydrate, it would just be a disaster. Not to mention it's not like a one time thing, he would have to do it say four times a year.

A guy like Cro Cop could cut to 205 maybe if JDS. Mir is just to naturally big. He's like 6'1 or 6'2, 250, without working out or dieting, say he really cleaned up his diet, that makes him what 240, 235 then he starts really working in the gym maybe another 10 lbs. So he's at 230 in insane shape, little fat. Now he's cutting 25 pounds, which is possible, if you're a little doughy and can sweat out of water from your fat. Trying to cut 25lbs from pure muscle is just about impossible. He might be able to do it though, needs to talk to Tito Ortiz or Anthony Johnson first haha.

·
Registered
643 Posts
He's way too big to make 205, he'd look like Irvin when get cut to 185, probably worse. However if he could make it he would probably be a dawg no doubt haha.

I seen him in an interview after he lost to Carwin saying he was dropping to 250 and would be in great shape and ripped because he lost mobility that big. Also that he felt he had fought as the smaller weaker fighter for so long that he couldn't use his weight and strength to push a guy around. He just allowed himself to be pushed around, and with the speed ad mobility loss he was a worse fighter. Which makes sense, he's used to fighting off his back, then to switch to have to push the other guy around, it would be a difficult switch mentally.

Frank is in a hard spot right now, in order to compete with the top of the division he loses ability in the skill that made him good in the first place, by putting on size. But if he is a comfortable size then he's undersized for the division. He can't be like Cain because his strength isn't wrestling. I don't care how good you are at BJJ if the other guy knows it half as well as you but he's 50 or 60 pounds heavier you can't do anything off your back.

Frank is the main causality of wrestling taking over MMA.
Solid BJJ is a great counter to wrestling, but the gap in HW will become more aparant as more natural HW atheletes train MMA. Strength and speed can easily overcome technique as much as we don't want to believe it.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Solid BJJ is a great counter to wrestling, but the gap in HW will become more aparant as more natural HW atheletes train MMA. Strength and speed can easily overcome technique as much as we don't want to believe it.
That was exactly my point, Frank is amazing at BJJ, but if Brock has just a basic grasp of it and he's so much bigger, than Frank has no chance, because he will just be smothered.

·
Banned
670 Posts
He's just too big, I doubt Dana would let him fight at 205. I don't understand how he gains so much weight to try to match Brock then now he wants to go to 205?I don't know if thats a good idea
Yeah he put in all that "work" and everything to beat the big boys and after one knockout loss he is gonna basically drop 60 lbs after talking about he wanted to kill Brock and he was gonna swat Carwin. Wow, that was a complete 180 because of one Carwin punch, overreaction me thinks, he will be a slow 205er if he can even make it.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
LOL he is one of the nicest guy in the bussiness.

His punches will be slow motion for Rua, Machida..

If Silva will fight at HW, he should fight someone who has a chance against him lke Brock.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Frank Mir at 205 comfortable would WRECK guys, however i dont think hes going to, nor that he'll give up his chance to finally defeat brock again.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I think you guys are all missing the point, Frank Mir right now eats anything he wants, like most HWs. He said that he is on more of a diet, watching what he eats, so you might be able to cut down from say...235 if he ever gets that low on a healthy diet.

You have guys like Forrest Griffen who cut down from 240, so you cant just rule him out.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I don't think it'd be that hard for him. He'd probably have to lose about 15-20lbs initially, to get him down to 235-240 and then much like Forrest he can cut down from there. He's obviously not going to try and cut straight to 205lb from his current weight of around 250lbs, that'd be crazy. If he loses a few pounds initially, and gets down to that 235ish weight he could definitely do it, and I think would be a real force at LHW.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.